what is required for disaster recovery - Veritas

This is a discussion on what is required for disaster recovery - Veritas ; I am looking at the Backup Exec product and was wondering what the requirements are when doing an OS backup and restore. Can I take a OS backup and restore it on another server in another location without much trouble? ...

  1. what is required for disaster recovery

    I am looking at the Backup Exec product and was wondering what the
    requirements are when doing an OS backup and restore. Can I take a OS
    backup and restore it on another server in another location without much
    trouble? Does the hardware have to be the same on the server that the
    backup was made from and the server I want to restore to? Any thoughts or
    information would be appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Kevin

  2. Re: what is required for disaster recovery

    The answer is "Yes, sort of". You can't really just restore an operating
    system on another machine because you must recreate the operating system in
    order to restore the operating system. Catch 22.

    Now if this was luvverly OpenVMS, you could boot StandAlone and restore your
    system disk - no probs. Unfortunatley, it's NT (pauses to spit). What you
    can do, however, is Disaster Recover your system to wherever you like. It
    helps if they have the same hardware config, but if not, there might be
    getarounds. You would have to make sure that your source system was loaded
    with the requisite drivers for your target system, for instance. You could
    have disaster recovery disks for your target, and simply load the save tape
    from your source, when a tape was requested.

    It all depends on how regularly you want to do this and why. Are you really
    looking to replicate data? In which case you need to investigate replication
    software. If you purely want bare metal recovery, then there are products
    like Replica Tape by STAC. Interestingly, you can access the save tape like
    a disk, and do restores by drag and drop.

    Backup Exec is perhaps the best overall backup product, but it tends to be a
    Jack Of All Trades And Master Of None in some areas. However, there is a new
    version 8.
    This works on NT4/2000 only. I have yet to check this out, so maybe some of
    my reservations may be addressed.

    I don't know if any product gives a genuine image of a disk. I'm thinking of
    Compaq and Dell servers which have specialized partitions created and
    accessed only by their own sftware.

    Ken McNulty

  3. Re: what is required for disaster recovery

    If you restore to a server that has hardware components installed that were
    not part of the original backup you are trying to restore you could run into
    problems.

    However, unless the new servers boot drives are on a different type on
    controller you should be OK to restore....get the server up and
    running...and then replace with proper drivers.

    I tried to install a new RAID adapter in a server and then restore from a
    previous backup that was made using IDR. Everything worked great...I was
    able to manually add the drivers for the RAID adapter... and restore
    everything beautifully.

    However once the C: and D: partitions were restored and the server
    restarted....it blue screened right away becuase of it not being able to
    find a boot device....

    I hope this is along the lines of what you were experiencing....

    "Kevin J. Mast" wrote in message news:38aaf0c5@hronntp01....
    > I am looking at the Backup Exec product and was wondering what the
    > requirements are when doing an OS backup and restore. Can I take a OS
    > backup and restore it on another server in another location without much
    > trouble? Does the hardware have to be the same on the server that the
    > backup was made from and the server I want to restore to? Any thoughts or
    > information would be appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Kevin

+ Reply to Thread