Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003 - Veritas

This is a discussion on Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003 - Veritas ; Hello, Can someone tell me if it is normal in Outlook 2003 to receive the message "That action is not available for this item" when trying to forward an archived message from my folder list? If I highlight an archived ...

  1. Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003

    Hello,

    Can someone tell me if it is normal in Outlook 2003 to receive the message
    "That action is not available for this item" when trying to forward an archived
    message from my folder list? If I highlight an archived message and hit the
    forward button on the tool bar I get this message. If I open the archived
    message and then hit forward it forwards fine. Is this by design? Why? Does
    it work in later versions? I am running 5.0 SP3.

    Thanks,
    Paul

  2. Re: Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003

    Paul,

    yup that's how it works in V5

    the good news is... I *think* it does work as you'd want it to in V6. I
    can't be 100% sure as this was the Beta and it was back in Februrary but
    I'm about 90% sure this was one of the client enhancements. You can use
    the v6 client with a v5 server so you can have a go at it if you want :-)

    the "previous" and "next" buttons don't work when you have a mail open either
    (at least they are disabled after about SP4.1) but I don't this version 6
    fixes this.

    David
    www.UDStech.com

  3. Re: Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003

    Hello,
    In 6.0 Enteprise Vault. The forwarding feature are now working
    correctly. The client has been changed to allow for the complete forwarding
    of the message
    without a user having access to the archive it was previously stored. IE
    (Causing a permissions error)

    Have a good day
    Kris

    "David" wrote in message news:435d53b1@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Paul,
    >
    > yup that's how it works in V5
    >
    > the good news is... I *think* it does work as you'd want it to in V6. I
    > can't be 100% sure as this was the Beta and it was back in Februrary but
    > I'm about 90% sure this was one of the client enhancements. You can use
    > the v6 client with a v5 server so you can have a go at it if you want :-)
    >
    > the "previous" and "next" buttons don't work when you have a mail open
    > either
    > (at least they are disabled after about SP4.1) but I don't this version 6
    > fixes this.
    >
    > David
    > www.UDStech.com

  4. Re: Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003

    It's by design, they have to open the item to forward it. I've been complaining
    for years about this, but there still has been no fix, I wouldn't expect
    one anytime soon.

    Why do they still use the client version of MAPI and CDO through an Outlook
    installation? Laziness is my best guess, and not enough people voicing displeasure
    with it. Have your people in charge complain a bit, if enough people do,
    they'll come up with a solution.

    "Paul K" wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >Can someone tell me if it is normal in Outlook 2003 to receive the message
    >"That action is not available for this item" when trying to forward an archived
    >message from my folder list? If I highlight an archived message and hit

    the
    >forward button on the tool bar I get this message. If I open the archived
    >message and then hit forward it forwards fine. Is this by design? Why? Does
    >it work in later versions? I am running 5.0 SP3.
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Paul

  5. Re: Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003

    Version 6 client does what you want. V6 client works with V5 server.

  6. Re: Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003

    Are you certain version 6 fixes this? Because this issue has been around
    four years without a fix.

    "David" wrote:

    >Version 6 client does what you want. V6 client works with V5 server.

  7. Re: Forwarding archived items in Outlook 2003

    Mike,

    you doubt me sirrah? Don't blame you... ;-)

    Check out "Changes to client" here:

    Only 4 years to fix? So we'll get an Archive Explorer client that updates
    itself when users move shortcuts in 2008 then? :-)

+ Reply to Thread