Moving KVS Program (Not the SQL data) - Veritas

This is a discussion on Moving KVS Program (Not the SQL data) - Veritas ; We are currently running the KVS Enterprise Vault for Exchange 5 on a setup that consists of 3 servers: 1. Our SQL Server 2000 that holds our data 2. Our Server that Actually runs the KVS services 3. Our Exchange ...

  1. Moving KVS Program (Not the SQL data)

    We are currently running the KVS Enterprise Vault for Exchange 5 on a setup
    that consists of 3 servers:

    1. Our SQL Server 2000 that holds our data
    2. Our Server that Actually runs the KVS services
    3. Our Exchange 2000 server that is actually benefitting from the journaling

    Since we are a small shop (less that 70 employees) and I want to try to streamline
    our environment. I am thinking that I want to relocat the KVS services from
    the dedicated box to either the Mail server or the SQL server.

    A couple of questions:
    1. Which would be the better box to run the servers on (The Exchange Server
    or the SQL Server)
    2. Are there any white papers that discuss how to gracefully uninstall the
    services from the stand alone machine to one of the others while still keeping
    our vault on SQL intact.

    Thanks,
    David

  2. Re: Moving KVS Program (Not the SQL data)

    What is the SQL server used for? Just KVS or other things?

    What you need to consider is if you need to reboot the server running KVS
    for example after installing a service pack or perhaps to try and resolve an
    issue or whatever what server would you rather take down. SQL or Exchange.

    "David" wrote in message

    > We are currently running the KVS Enterprise Vault for Exchange 5 on a
    > setup
    > that consists of 3 servers:
    >
    > 1. Our SQL Server 2000 that holds our data
    > 2. Our Server that Actually runs the KVS services
    > 3. Our Exchange 2000 server that is actually benefitting from the
    > journaling
    >
    > Since we are a small shop (less that 70 employees) and I want to try to
    > streamline
    > our environment. I am thinking that I want to relocat the KVS services
    > from
    > the dedicated box to either the Mail server or the SQL server.
    >
    > A couple of questions:
    > 1. Which would be the better box to run the servers on (The Exchange
    > Server
    > or the SQL Server)
    > 2. Are there any white papers that discuss how to gracefully uninstall
    > the
    > services from the stand alone machine to one of the others while still
    > keeping
    > our vault on SQL intact.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > David

  3. Re: Moving KVS Program (Not the SQL data)

    David,

    Co-habit with the SQL. Exchange won't like losing the memory and you should
    never run Outlook on an Exchange server.

    David
    http://messy.bravehost.com/

+ Reply to Thread