The Ideal Rollback procedure? - if it exists... (V5 SP3) - Veritas

This is a discussion on The Ideal Rollback procedure? - if it exists... (V5 SP3) - Veritas ; Dear All, we already know that EV software is not an ideal solution but that is probably a good reason to still having the local IT department in the company ;-)) - to solve EV related problems... Sometimes I give ...

  1. The Ideal Rollback procedure? - if it exists... (V5 SP3)

    Dear All,

    we already know that EV software is not an ideal solution but that is probably
    a good reason to still having the local IT department in the company ;-))
    - to solve EV related problems...

    Sometimes I give up and promise to the frustrated user that I will do the
    system rollback by which I mean to restore all his emails back to the original
    state and get rid of KVS on his machine.

    In the begining I was using the "Export" option in the Admin console. I was
    exporting all archived email to original positions and then the first problem
    showed up: in our EV configuration we keep deleted shorcuts in the Vault
    so those deleted items were restored back to the users mailboxes and they
    were unhappy about that because they had to process them again (delete, move,
    etc.)

    After those incidents I've changed the rollback procedure and simply based
    it on using the "Restore button" on the client side which is time consuming
    and client involvement is needed. In emergancy cases we still can use Export
    to PST files however then user has to organize the restored items for himself
    which is very painful

    The question is:
    Is there a way of rolling back all archived items into original positions
    in the mailbox. Keeping in mind that deleted shortcuts by user but still
    existing in Vault shouldn't be restored?

    Thank for any ideas!

    Kind Regards,
    Blaze

  2. Re: The Ideal Rollback procedure? - if it exists... (V5 SP3)

    Hi Blaze,

    I think you're out of luck. Shortcuts are emails with a special IPM messae
    class that calls an EV form and the form processes the client request for
    data and redirects it to the EV server rather than the Exchange box.

    In other words, EV knows nothing about the xistence (or not) of shortcuts.
    This is a by product of one of the main reasons for selecting EV (and why
    it is so popular) - it's pretty well behaved as regards Exchange message
    storesand it doesn't break them.

    Presumably you've initiated your users in the art of Archive Explorer? Restores
    are a lot easier from this interface.

    Restores (copy in AE) can go back to a selected folder or the "Rested"folder
    off InBox (if my memory is right). As you say, not particularly useful.

    I'd be nice if AE could be told to update itself if users move shortcuts.
    I've asked Symantec to think about this one. Not sure how they would do
    it though. It'd have to be a batch process I guess.

    If you can figure out the code to restore an item from a Vault (not sure
    how as the API is not exposed as far as I know) then you could code something
    that crawled through a mailbox and for every shortcut found restoredthe item,
    moved it to where the shortcut was and then deleted the shortcut. After
    you had run it then you delete the Vault. Pretty easy to do actually.

    I guess you need to make sure your users are happy with there Vaults and
    not offer a back out. I agree this can be real difficult sometimes!

    Hope this helps

    David
    http://messy.bravehost.com/

    "Blaze" wrote:

    >Dear All,
    >
    >we already know that EV software is not an ideal solution but that is probably
    >a good reason to still having the local IT department in the company ;-))
    >- to solve EV related problems...
    >
    >Sometimes I give up and promise to the frustrated user that I will do the
    >system rollback by which I mean to restore all his emails back to the original
    >state and get rid of KVS on his machine.
    >
    >In the begining I was using the "Export" option in the Admin console. I

    was
    >exporting all archived email to original positions and then the first problem
    >showed up: in our EV configuration we keep deleted shorcuts in the Vault
    >so those deleted items were restored back to the users mailboxes and they
    >were unhappy about that because they had to process them again (delete,

    move,
    >etc.)
    >
    >After those incidents I've changed the rollback procedure and simply based
    >it on using the "Restore button" on the client side which is time consuming
    >and client involvement is needed. In emergancy cases we still can use Export
    >to PST files however then user has to organize the restored items for himself
    >which is very painful
    >
    >The question is:
    >Is there a way of rolling back all archived items into original positions
    >in the mailbox. Keeping in mind that deleted shortcuts by user but still
    >existing in Vault shouldn't be restored?
    >
    >Thank for any ideas!
    >
    >Kind Regards,
    >Blaze

+ Reply to Thread