    Event ID: 2256
    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    The Archiving service for EXCHGSVR could not be started due to startup errors.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    Event Category: Archive Service
    Event ID: 3077
    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service
    will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  2. Re: Services not Starting

    Hi,

    Remember EV running in Windows 2003 sp1 is not supported.
    Have you tried making the vault service account a member of the local
    administrators group on the Exchange server?

    Seb

    "Oscar Waintraub" wrote in message

    > I install SP1 on Windows 2003. Running Exchange Server 2003 I give the
    > service
    > account full administrator right with explicit "send as" and "receive as"
    > and a member of "administrators" group and local administrator of EV
    > server.
    > After installed the EV, the service cannot start and return following
    > errors.
    > It saids it cannot determine the Exchange version. What can I do? Thanks.
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    > Event Category: Archive Service
    > Event ID: 2256
    > Date: 7/18/2005
    > Time: 5:39:06 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: EVSVR
    > The Archiving service for EXCHGSVR could not be started due to startup
    > errors.
    >
    > Event Type: Error
    > Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    > Event Category: Archive Service
    > Event ID: 3077
    > Date: 7/18/2005
    > Time: 5:39:06 PM
    > User: N/A
    > Computer: EVSVR
    > Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the
    > service
    > will shut down
    > Reason: Access Denied

  3. Re: Services not Starting

    Sounds to me like you haven't give the EV service Service Admin permissions
    on the Site Level. 3 levels of permissions on Exchange - Org, Site and Server.
    EV doesn't need Org but in needs the other 2 --- I think... it's been a
    loooong time since I prepped and Exc site !!

    BTW -- from what I here Win2k3 SP1 does work with EV SP5 -- it jus hasn't
    been *certified*

    "seb" wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Remember EV running in Windows 2003 sp1 is not supported.
    >Have you tried making the vault service account a member of the local
    >administrators group on the Exchange server?
    >
    >Seb
    >
    >"Oscar Waintraub" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I install SP1 on Windows 2003. Running Exchange Server 2003 I give the

    >> service
    >> account full administrator right with explicit "send as" and "receive

    as"
    >> and a member of "administrators" group and local administrator of EV
    >> server.
    >> After installed the EV, the service cannot start and return following

    >> errors.
    >> It saids it cannot determine the Exchange version. What can I do? Thanks.
    >>
    >> Event Type: Error
    >> Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    >> Event Category: Archive Service
    >> Event ID: 2256
    >> Date: 7/18/2005
    >> Time: 5:39:06 PM
    >> User: N/A
    >> Computer: EVSVR
    >> The Archiving service for EXCHGSVR could not be started due to startup

    >> errors.
    >>
    >> Event Type: Error
    >> Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    >> Event Category: Archive Service
    >> Event ID: 3077
    >> Date: 7/18/2005
    >> Time: 5:39:06 PM
    >> User: N/A
    >> Computer: EVSVR
    >> Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the
    >> service
    >> will shut down
    >> Reason: Access Denied

  4. Re: Services not Starting

    No version of EV is supported with Windows 2003 SP1 yet and I don't believe
    any version works with it. Even SP5. W2k3 SP1 changes DCOM and that completely
    screws up EV.

    "Messy" <1@2.com> wrote:

    >Sounds to me like you haven't give the EV service Service Admin permissions
    >on the Site Level. 3 levels of permissions on Exchange - Org, Site and

    Server.
    > EV doesn't need Org but in needs the other 2 --- I think... it's been a
    >loooong time since I prepped and Exc site !!
    >
    >BTW -- from what I here Win2k3 SP1 does work with EV SP5 -- it jus hasn't
    >been *certified*
    >

    >"seb" wrote:
    >>Hi,
    >>
    >>Remember EV running in Windows 2003 sp1 is not supported.
    >>Have you tried making the vault service account a member of the local
    >>administrators group on the Exchange server?
    >>
    >>Seb
    >>
    >>"Oscar Waintraub" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I install SP1 on Windows 2003. Running Exchange Server 2003 I give the

    >>> service
    >>> account full administrator right with explicit "send as" and "receive

    >as"
    >>> and a member of "administrators" group and local administrator of EV

    >>> server.
    >>> After installed the EV, the service cannot start and return following

    >>> errors.
    >>> It saids it cannot determine the Exchange version. What can I do? Thanks.
    >>>
    >>> Event Type: Error
    >>> Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    >>> Event Category: Archive Service
    >>> Event ID: 2256
    >>> Date: 7/18/2005
    >>> Time: 5:39:06 PM
    >>> User: N/A
    >>> Computer: EVSVR
    >>> The Archiving service for EXCHGSVR could not be started due to startup

    >>> errors.
    >>>
    >>> Event Type: Error
    >>> Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    >>> Event Category: Archive Service
    >>> Event ID: 3077
    >>> Date: 7/18/2005
    >>> Time: 5:39:06 PM
    >>> User: N/A
    >>> Computer: EVSVR
    >>> Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the

    >>> service
    >>> will shut down
    >>> Reason: Access Denied

  5. Re: Services not Starting

    Most of the pre SP1 patches that auto-update will run with EV, the main gotcha
    is the DCOM patch.

    But that second error is a classic one for SP1 installations

    Bag

    "Jason" wrote:

    >No version of EV is supported with Windows 2003 SP1 yet and I don't believe
    >any version works with it. Even SP5. W2k3 SP1 changes DCOM and that completely
    >screws up EV.
    >

    >"Messy" <1@2.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Sounds to me like you haven't give the EV service Service Admin permissions
    >>on the Site Level. 3 levels of permissions on Exchange - Org, Site and

    >Server.
    >> EV doesn't need Org but in needs the other 2 --- I think... it's been

    >>loooong time since I prepped and Exc site !!
    >>
    >>BTW -- from what I here Win2k3 SP1 does work with EV SP5 -- it jus hasn't
    >>been *certified*
    >>

    >>"seb" wrote:
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Remember EV running in Windows 2003 sp1 is not supported.
    >>>Have you tried making the vault service account a member of the local

    >>>administrators group on the Exchange server?
    >>>
    >>>Seb
    >>>
    >>>"Oscar Waintraub" wrote in message

    >>as"

  6. Re: Services not Starting

    We had the exact same error message on the exact same platform, turns out
    the error simply meant our exchange server was uncontactable.

    Mustafa

    "Jason" wrote:

    >No version of EV is supported with Windows 2003 SP1 yet and I don't believe
    >any version works with it. Even SP5. W2k3 SP1 changes DCOM and that completely
    >screws up EV.
    >

    >"Messy" <1@2.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>Sounds to me like you haven't give the EV service Service Admin permissions
    >>on the Site Level. 3 levels of permissions on Exchange - Org, Site and

    >Server.
    >> EV doesn't need Org but in needs the other 2 --- I think... it's been

    >>loooong time since I prepped and Exc site !!
    >>
    >>BTW -- from what I here Win2k3 SP1 does work with EV SP5 -- it jus hasn't
    >>been *certified*
    >>

    >>"seb" wrote:
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Remember EV running in Windows 2003 sp1 is not supported.
    >>>Have you tried making the vault service account a member of the local

    >>>administrators group on the Exchange server?
    >>>
    >>>Seb
    >>>
    >>>"Oscar Waintraub" wrote in message

    >>as"

+ Reply to Thread