Permissions on PST migration - Veritas

This is a discussion on Permissions on PST migration - Veritas ; Guys, tell me please who by defualt has permissions for migrating PST files and where can I check and change it? Thank you...

  1. Permissions on PST migration

    Guys,

    tell me please who by defualt has permissions for migrating PST files and
    where can I check and change it?

    Thank you

  2. Re: Permissions on PST migration

    Hi Askar,

    the easiest thing to do is to give File Permissions on the PST files to the
    EV admin account but don't try to migrate PST files across the network anywat
    - copy themto the EV server first and then move the originals so the users
    can't "see" them anymore.

    "Askar" wrote:
    >Guys,
    >
    >tell me please who by defualt has permissions for migrating PST files and
    >where can I check and change it?
    >
    >Thank you

  3. Re: Permissions on PST migration

    Thanks for reply. But we have a little bit different situation. User
    migration will be processed by Helpdesk personnel. Each of them has its own
    administrator account and now they can not migrate PST files under their own
    accounts. So I would like to know where can I give them permissions to
    migrate PST files..

    Thank you,

    Askar
    "Messy" <1@2.com> wrote in message news:42e3bbab@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hi Askar,
    >
    > the easiest thing to do is to give File Permissions on the PST files to

    the
    > EV admin account but don't try to migrate PST files across the network

    anywat
    > - copy themto the EV server first and then move the originals so the users
    > can't "see" them anymore.

    > "Askar" wrote:
    > >Guys,
    > >
    > >tell me please who by defualt has permissions for migrating PST files and
    > >where can I check and change it?
    > >
    > >Thank you

  4. Re: Permissions on PST migration

    Hi Askar,

    They will need permsiions all over the place...

    (1) On the File server with the PST files on. Read and Write to take a copy
    of the PST to the EV server and then move it so the user can't access it
    any more.

    (2) On the EV server - full admin to write to the EV stores, indexes and
    run EVPM or the import wizard from the console.

    (3) On the SQL server - database owner/user privilages on the EV Store Database(s)
    to write the location data in

    (4) Exchange - write on all the mailboxes to add the shortcuts

    (5 optional?) Active Directory - change - to alter Exc mailbox siz\es when
    shortcuts fill up users mailboxes

    You are definately going to want to use a group or a generic account. If
    the helpdesk guys have XP on thier PCs then rememebr they can use "run as".

    Personally I have never tried tany migrations except using the EV service
    account. And yes, we have locked it out loads of times and yes that is a
    bad thing to do!

    Consider using the EV Service Account and then changing the password when
    they have finished the project. Or write some VB code and compile it so
    the password is not accessiible. This is pretty easy to do.

    David

    "Askar" wrote:
    >Thanks for reply. But we have a little bit different situation. User
    >migration will be processed by Helpdesk personnel. Each of them has its

    own
    >administrator account and now they can not migrate PST files under their

    own
    >accounts. So I would like to know where can I give them permissions to
    >migrate PST files..
    >
    >Thank you,
    >
    >Askar
    >"Messy" <1@2.com> wrote in message news:42e3bbab@ROSASTDMZ05....
    >>
    >> Hi Askar,
    >>
    >> the easiest thing to do is to give File Permissions on the PST files to

    >the
    >> EV admin account but don't try to migrate PST files across the network

    >anywat
    >> - copy themto the EV server first and then move the originals so the users
    >> can't "see" them anymore.

    >> "Askar" wrote:
    >> >Guys,
    >> >
    >> >tell me please who by defualt has permissions for migrating PST files

    and
    >> >where can I check and change it?
    >> >
    >> >Thank you

  5. Re: Permissions on PST migration

    Thanks a lot,
    it really looks to complex. So I will leave the situation as it is now. We
    migrate pst under EV Service account.

    "Messy" <1@2.com> wrote in message news:42e77764@ROSASTDMZ05....

    > Hi Askar,
    >
    > They will need permsiions all over the place...
    >
    > (1) On the File server with the PST files on. Read and Write to take a

    copy
    > of the PST to the EV server and then move it so the user can't access it
    > any more.
    >
    > (2) On the EV server - full admin to write to the EV stores, indexes and
    > run EVPM or the import wizard from the console.
    >
    > (3) On the SQL server - database owner/user privilages on the EV Store

    Database(s)
    > to write the location data in
    >
    > (4) Exchange - write on all the mailboxes to add the shortcuts
    >
    > (5 optional?) Active Directory - change - to alter Exc mailbox siz\es when
    > shortcuts fill up users mailboxes
    >
    > You are definately going to want to use a group or a generic account. If
    > the helpdesk guys have XP on thier PCs then rememebr they can use "run

    as".

    > Personally I have never tried tany migrations except using the EV service
    > account. And yes, we have locked it out loads of times and yes that is a
    > bad thing to do!
    >
    > Consider using the EV Service Account and then changing the password when
    > they have finished the project. Or write some VB code and compile it so
    > the password is not accessiible. This is pretty easy to do.
    >

    > David
    >

    > "Askar" wrote:
    > >Thanks for reply. But we have a little bit different situation. User
    > >migration will be processed by Helpdesk personnel. Each of them has its

    > own
    > >administrator account and now they can not migrate PST files under their

    > own
    > >accounts. So I would like to know where can I give them permissions to
    > >migrate PST files..
    > >
    > >Thank you,
    > >
    > >Askar
    > >"Messy" <1@2.com> wrote in message news:42e3bbab@ROSASTDMZ05....
    > >>
    > >> Hi Askar,
    > >>
    > >> the easiest thing to do is to give File Permissions on the PST files to

    > >the
    > >> EV admin account but don't try to migrate PST files across the network

    > >anywat
    > >> - copy themto the EV server first and then move the originals so the

    users
    > >> can't "see" them anymore.

    > and

+ Reply to Thread