    Event ID: 2256
    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    The Archiving service for EXCHGSVR could not be started due to startup errors.

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Enterprise Vault
    Event Category: Archive Service
    Event ID: 3077
    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  2. Re: Could not start archiving service

    Hi,

    Is that Windows 2003 or Windows 2003 sp1? 2003 sp1 is not support according to people in this newsgroup.

    "Andrew" wrote in message news:42dba694@ROSASTDMZ05....
    I install SP5 on Windows 2003. I give the service account full administrator right with explicit "send as" and "receive as" and a member of "administrators" group and local administrator of EV server.
    After installed the EV, the service cannot start and return following errors. It saids it cannot determine the Exchange version. What can I do? Thanks.

    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  3. Re: Could not start archiving service

    The server does not install SP1. I'm wondering why it said "Access Denied". Anybody face the problem before?

    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  4. Re: Could not start archiving service

    From computer manager on the EV server can you switch to view the Exchange server computer. Can you then go and see the services on that Exchange server from computer manager.

    If you get access denied when doing this then it's not an EV issue that's the cause but some other problem with your systems that's causing EV a problem.

    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  5. Re: Could not start archiving service

    Do you mean I go to right click on "My Computer" and the choose "manage". From it, then connect to the Exchange server?
    I can do this process on the EV server, what do you think about the possible cause?

    From computer manager on the EV server can you switch to view the Exchange server computer. Can you then go and see the services on that Exchange server from computer manager.

    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  6. Re: Could not start archiving service

    Hi,

    Yes, those are the right steps.
    So you did then and you did goto the services section so you could see the services?

    "Andrew" wrote in message news:42dd2d48@ROSASTDMZ05....
    Do you mean I go to right click on "My Computer" and the choose "manage". From it, then connect to the Exchange server?
    I can do this process on the EV server, what do you think about the possible cause?

    From computer manager on the EV server can you switch to view the Exchange server computer. Can you then go and see the services on that Exchange server from computer manager.

    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  7. Re: Could not start archiving service

    I can see the servies there. What can I do next?
    "seb" wrote in message news:42dd591d@ROSASTDMZ05....
    Hi,

    Yes, those are the right steps.
    So you did then and you did goto the services section so you could see the services?

    "Andrew" wrote in message news:42dd2d48@ROSASTDMZ05....
    Do you mean I go to right click on "My Computer" and the choose "manage". From it, then connect to the Exchange server?
    I can do this process on the EV server, what do you think about the possible cause?

    From computer manager on the EV server can you switch to view the Exchange server computer. Can you then go and see the services on that Exchange server from computer manager.

    Date: 7/18/2005
    Time: 5:39:06 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: EVSVR
    Unable to determine the version of the Exchange server EXCHGSVR, the service will shut down
    Reason: Access Denied

  8. Re: Could not start archiving service

    Hi,
    Are you 100% sure you are not running sp1 on the ev server? Can you please double check.

    assuming it's not sp1, what exchange related services do you have on the exchange server?

    Seb

    "Andrew" wrote in message news:42de49d2@ROSASTDMZ05....
    I can see the servies there. What can I do next?
    "seb" wrote in message news:42dd591d@ROSASTDMZ05....
    Hi,

    Yes, those are the right steps.
    So you did then and you did goto the services section so you could see the services?

    "Andrew" wrote in message news:42dd2d48@ROSASTDMZ05....
    Do you mean I go to right click on "My Computer" and the choose "manage". From it, then connect to the Exchange server?
    I can do this process on the EV server, what do you think about the possible cause?

    From computer manager on the EV server can you switch to view the Exchange server computer. Can you then go and see the services on that Exchange server from computer manager.