Fixmapi - Veritas

This is a discussion on Fixmapi - Veritas ; After another weekend with lots of MAPI related errors, we were advised to run the FIXMAPI tool to ensure EV is using the correct MAPISVC.INF file. We were seeing lots of 3270,3231,3039 which all point to MAPI problems. Sure enough ...

  1. Fixmapi

    After another weekend with lots of MAPI related errors, we were advised to
    run the FIXMAPI tool to ensure EV is using the correct MAPISVC.INF file.
    We were seeing lots of 3270,3231,3039 which all point to MAPI problems. Sure
    enough the INF files were different so the standard fix was relevent (this
    is documented in the online help file & a Veritas KB article). This is probably
    the third time this year that I've run this tool so I did begin to wonder
    if we should automate this and routinely run it to keep those nasty MAPI
    errors at bay.

    Well now, we're on V5 SP3 but I noticed in the readme for SP4 that a new
    feature has been introduced so that the EV Admin service will check the state
    of the MAPISVC file and automatically fix it. Seems such an obvious thing
    to do you kind of wonder why it's not always been there. So I would be currious
    to know if any SP4 users out there have noticed this new feature and if indeed
    it works as suggested.

  2. Re: Fixmapi

    Glenn,

    I saw that as well. Didn't care that much tho - never run FixMAPI - we manually
    check the INF at install time and it works fine. Having said that, a colleague
    has run it loads of times, but then he listens to what the KVS support guys
    say (send me the log, do a Dtrace, run FixMapi.... are they buying time here?)

    I thought that all it did was to check the MAPISVCS.INF is the right one
    (i.e. the biggest one?) Am I right on that?

    I guess the "biggest one" is the Outlook one as the Exchange one (in 1033)
    won't support the client activity (PSTs etc) required?

    Interestingly, this will screw the ability for Exchange ESM to manage client
    permissions properly (try evaluating client permissions on Org Forms for
    example)... so don't admin your Exchange from your EV box

    Messy

    "Glenn Martin" wrote:

    >After another weekend with lots of MAPI related errors, we were advised

    >run the FIXMAPI tool to ensure EV is using the correct MAPISVC.INF file.
    >We were seeing lots of 3270,3231,3039 which all point to MAPI problems.

    Sure
    >enough the INF files were different so the standard fix was relevent (this
    >is documented in the online help file & a Veritas KB article). This is probably
    >the third time this year that I've run this tool so I did begin to wonder
    >if we should automate this and routinely run it to keep those nasty MAPI
    >errors at bay.
    >
    >Well now, we're on V5 SP3 but I noticed in the readme for SP4 that a new
    >feature has been introduced so that the EV Admin service will check the

    state
    >of the MAPISVC file and automatically fix it. Seems such an obvious thing
    >to do you kind of wonder why it's not always been there. So I would be currious
    >to know if any SP4 users out there have noticed this new feature and if

    indeed
    >it works as suggested.

+ Reply to Thread