EVPM Problems - Veritas

This is a discussion on EVPM Problems - Veritas ; Here's what I'd like to do with EVPM (simplified) for a whole bunch of users: Set Mailbox Root to archive after 1 year, use "User" Set Corp Folder to archive after 1 day, use "Business" Retention Category Set User Folder ...

  1. EVPM Problems

    Here's what I'd like to do with EVPM (simplified) for a whole bunch of users:

    Set Mailbox Root to archive after 1 year, use "User"
    Set Corp Folder to archive after 1 day, use "Business" Retention Category
    Set User Folder to archive after 1 day, use "User" Retention Category

    The idea is that items classified as Corporate Records ("Corp" or subfolders)
    get archived quickly with a specific (longer) retention period, and User
    items get archived quickly to a different (shorter) retention category.
    Archived quickly to help users reclaim quota. Anything not acted upon by
    the user or put in a different folder structure stays in the exchange server
    for a year and then gets archived with the shorter retention.

    Here's what happens when I run EVPM to try to do this:

    The Mailbox root level works fine. All of the folders get the "Use Custom
    Settings" attribute checked. However, the other two folders get weird.
    All of the settings for the other folders get set correctly (retention category,
    archive unread, delete original, etc) EXCEPT for the "archive items older
    than". This value gets set to 10 days (which is my site default). However
    - and this is the really weird part - this appears to be some sort of "phantom"
    value. It looks like it is there in the User Interface when I look at the
    EV Folder properties, but items never get archived out of the folder, even
    though they should qualify (they have been there longer than 10 days). If
    I change the Site default to 11 days - it looks like this value changes in
    the folder properties, but again, the items are never archived. If I go
    to the folder properties and manually change the value and save it, it sticks
    and items are archived correctly.

    So, there are two alternatives: Either I am doing something wrong, or this
    doesn't work correctly. I can't believe this doesn't work correctly because
    if it didn't, you could never use EVPM to set custom Retention categories
    on user folders without breaking retention from those folders altogether
    if what I am seeing holds true.

    I've read the part of the documentation where it says the "InactivityUnits"
    and "InactivityPeriod" parameters only work for the Mailbox Root. I could
    accept that, but then I can't accept that what I get is this "phantom" value
    that doesn't seem to work at all.

    Here is my EVPM.INI. Any ideas?

    Thanks in advance!

    [Directory]
    DirectoryComputerName=EVCOMPUTER
    SiteName=ENTERPRISEVAULT

    [Filter]
    Name=CorpFilter
    CreateShortcut=false
    DeleteOriginal=true
    UnreadMail=true
    UseInactivityPeriod=true
    InactivityUnits=Days
    InactivityPeriod=1

    [Filter]
    Name=RootFLT
    CreateShortcut=false
    DeleteOriginal=true
    UnreadMail=false
    UseInactivityPeriod=true
    InactivityUnits=Year
    InactivityPeriod=1

    [Mailbox]
    DistinguishedName=/O=Corporation/OU=Houston/cn=Recipients/cn=smilano

    [Folder]
    Name=mailboxroot
    Filtername=RootFLT
    RetentionCategory=User Folders

    [Folder]
    Name=\Corp
    Filtername=CorpFilter
    RetentionCategory=Business

    [Folder]
    Name=\User
    Filtername=CorpFilter
    RetentionCategory=User Folders

  2. Re: EVPM Problems

    I thought someone said in the forum there was a bug in evpm in sp4. Is it
    sp4 you're running it on? They suggested using evpm from sp3. See if that
    works.

    "Stephen Milano" wrote in message

> [...]
    >
    > Here is my EVPM.INI. Any ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    >

    > [Directory]
    > DirectoryComputerName=EVCOMPUTER
    > SiteName=ENTERPRISEVAULT
    >
    > [Filter]
    > Name=CorpFilter
    > CreateShortcut=false
    > DeleteOriginal=true
    > UnreadMail=true
    > UseInactivityPeriod=true
    > InactivityUnits=Days
    > InactivityPeriod=1
    >
    > [Filter]
    > Name=RootFLT
    > CreateShortcut=false
    > DeleteOriginal=true
    > UnreadMail=false
    > UseInactivityPeriod=true
    > InactivityUnits=Year
    > InactivityPeriod=1
    >
    > [Mailbox]
    > DistinguishedName=/O=Corporation/OU=Houston/cn=Recipients/cn=smilano

  3. Re: EVPM Problems

    Seb is right. You won't get anything to work properly in Folders with EVPM
    from SP4. Upgrade to SP5 or use the EVPM.exe from the SP3 install. I've
    not tested SP5 yet (unsuprising since it only came out Friday....)

    David

    "Seb" wrote:
> [...]

    >> Here is my EVPM.INI. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance!
    >>

    >> [Directory]
    >> DirectoryComputerName=EVCOMPUTER
    >> SiteName=ENTERPRISEVAULT
    >>
    >> [Filter]
    >> Name=CorpFilter
    >> CreateShortcut=false
    >> DeleteOriginal=true
    >> UnreadMail=true
    >> UseInactivityPeriod=true
    >> InactivityUnits=Days
    >> InactivityPeriod=1
    >>
    >> [Filter]
    >> Name=RootFLT
    >> CreateShortcut=false
    >> DeleteOriginal=true
    >> UnreadMail=false
    >> UseInactivityPeriod=true
    >> InactivityUnits=Year
    >> InactivityPeriod=1
    >>
    >> [Mailbox]
    >> DistinguishedName=/O=Corporation/OU=Houston/cn=Recipients/cn=smilano

  4. Re: EVPM Problems

    Thanks for the response. I've just installed SP5 and it is working as expected
    - no more "phantom" values.

    Stephen Milano

    "David Messenger" wrote:

> [...]

    >go
    >>> to the folder properties and manually change the value and save it, it

    >>> sticks
    >>> and items are archived correctly.
    >>>
    >>> So, there are two alternatives: Either I am doing something wrong, or

    >this
    >>> doesn't work correctly. I can't believe this doesn't work correctly

    >>> because
    >>> if it didn't, you could never use EVPM to set custom Retention categories
    >>> on user folders without breaking retention from those folders altogether
    >>> if what I am seeing holds true.
    >>>
    >>> I've read the part of the documentation where it says the
    >>> "InactivityUnits"
    >>> and "InactivityPeriod" parameters only work for the Mailbox Root. I

    could
    >>> accept that, but then I can't accept that what I get is this "phantom"

    >>> Name=CorpFilter
    >>> CreateShortcut=false
    >>> DeleteOriginal=true
    >>> UnreadMail=true
    >>> UseInactivityPeriod=true
    >>> InactivityUnits=Days
    >>> InactivityPeriod=1
    >>>
    >>> [Filter]
    >>> Name=RootFLT
    >>> CreateShortcut=false
    >>> DeleteOriginal=true
    >>> UnreadMail=false
    >>> UseInactivityPeriod=true
    >>> InactivityUnits=Year
    >>> InactivityPeriod=1
    >>>
    >>> [Mailbox]
    >>> DistinguishedName=/O=Corporation/OU=Houston/cn=Recipients/cn=smilano
    >>>
    >>> [Folder]
    >>> Name=mailboxroot
    >>> Filtername=RootFLT
    >>> RetentionCategory=User Folders