Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts - Veritas

This is a discussion on Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts - Veritas ; Scenario: I want to move a users mailbox using a cross Site / Administrative Group move in Exchange 2003. This user also has Enterprise Vault and data archived in a Vault Store. The new site has it's own Vault Store ...

  1. Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts

    Scenario:

    I want to move a users mailbox using a cross Site / Administrative Group
    move in Exchange 2003. This user also has Enterprise Vault and data archived
    in a Vault Store. The new site has it's own Vault Store and therefore I
    need to move the users archived data using the EV Export to PST process then
    import into the new store. So far so good.... in theory.

    My problem is that if I choose to restore shortcuts during the import stage
    I get duplicates for each shortcut which will confuse the user .... or I
    choose not to create new short cuts and the old ones are pointing to the
    old store (to which we now have no access) and therefore don't work.

    ExMerge doesn't have an option to use the Message Class field,

    EVPM cannot do this for me (I don't believe), and

    We have no access to users data to do this from within the mailbox after
    the export process has taken place.

    Help .... How on earth do I remove the shortcuts ( shown as a Message Class
    field in the Mailbox). If I can do this it means that I can choose to the
    option to create new shortcuts during the import and they will work and I
    will have no legacy shortcuts remaining.

    Has anyone else had this problem and found an asnwer to it !

    Many thanks

    L.

  2. Re: Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts

    Why using Exmerge ? with Exchange 2003 SP1 you can move mailbox across sites.
    I think that what happened is that exmerge created a new message ID for
    each message and then you have twice the shortcuts.
    Besides it's transparent for the EV when you move mailboxes with the same
    EV site.
    do you need also to move the location of the vault stores ?

    "BK" wrote:

    >Scenario:
    >
    >I want to move a users mailbox using a cross Site / Administrative Group
    >move in Exchange 2003. This user also has Enterprise Vault and data archived
    >in a Vault Store. The new site has it's own Vault Store and therefore I
    >need to move the users archived data using the EV Export to PST process

    then
    >import into the new store. So far so good.... in theory.
    >
    >My problem is that if I choose to restore shortcuts during the import stage
    >I get duplicates for each shortcut which will confuse the user .... or I
    >choose not to create new short cuts and the old ones are pointing to the
    >old store (to which we now have no access) and therefore don't work.
    >
    >ExMerge doesn't have an option to use the Message Class field,
    >
    >EVPM cannot do this for me (I don't believe), and
    >
    >We have no access to users data to do this from within the mailbox after
    >the export process has taken place.
    >
    >Help .... How on earth do I remove the shortcuts ( shown as a Message Class
    >field in the Mailbox). If I can do this it means that I can choose to the
    >option to create new shortcuts during the import and they will work and

    >will have no legacy shortcuts remaining.
    >
    >Has anyone else had this problem and found an asnwer to it !
    >
    >Many thanks
    >
    >L.

  3. Re: Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts

    Hi!

    Firstly i believe the moving inside Exchange2003Sp1 actually uses Exmerge-code
    underneath - so the effect might be the same.

    Why not use the built-in shortcut deletion facility if you want to delete
    shortcuts? You probably have samples already - so you should be able to find a
    suitable time to specify to delete just the ones you don't want.

    Regards
    Peter Nilsson

  4. Re: Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts

    Hi P.

    We are using Exchange 2003 SP1. But because we are moving to a new vault
    store in a different AG/site we have no permissions back to the old vault
    once the mailbox has been moved, hence the original shortcuts no longer work
    and we need to move the Gb's of vault store data (per user) to the new location.

    I believe to use your suggestion I would need to be either

    a) able to use the same enterprise vault store, or
    b) have the additional storage space to restore all items to the mailbox
    from archive prior to the mailb moving taking place ... and then rearchiving
    the data post move.

    Instead, we need to export the vaulted archive data, move it to the new location
    and import it into the new database ...

    That's when the shortcuts stop working. The data moves beautifully, but
    can only be accessed via a browser. The shortcuts either don't work (because
    they are pointing to the old location) or have been duplicated, (half not
    working because ... see above) depending on the short cut option I choose
    during teh export/import process.

    Tthat's why I'm looking for the miracle utility to strip out the message
    class "Shortcuts" from the mailbox so when I import the new data and choose
    to create shortcuts that the old ones have been deleted first !

    That's where I'm stuck. i have this out to Veritas Support as well, but
    we haven't yet found a solution.

    if anyone has any ideas .......
    kind regards L.

    "Peter Ayoun" wrote:

    >Why using Exmerge ? with Exchange 2003 SP1 you can move mailbox across sites.
    >I think that what happened is that exmerge created a new message ID for
    >each message and then you have twice the shortcuts.
    >Besides it's transparent for the EV when you move mailboxes with the same
    >EV site.
    >do you need also to move the location of the vault stores ?
    >
    >"BK" wrote:
    >>
    >>Scenario:
    >>
    >>I want to move a users mailbox using a cross Site / Administrative Group
    >>move in Exchange 2003. This user also has Enterprise Vault and data archived
    >>in a Vault Store. The new site has it's own Vault Store and therefore

    >>need to move the users archived data using the EV Export to PST process

    >then
    >>import into the new store. So far so good.... in theory.
    >>
    >>My problem is that if I choose to restore shortcuts during the import stage
    >>I get duplicates for each shortcut which will confuse the user .... or

    >>choose not to create new short cuts and the old ones are pointing to the
    >>old store (to which we now have no access) and therefore don't work.
    >>
    >>ExMerge doesn't have an option to use the Message Class field,
    >>
    >>EVPM cannot do this for me (I don't believe), and
    >>
    >>We have no access to users data to do this from within the mailbox after
    >>the export process has taken place.
    >>
    >>Help .... How on earth do I remove the shortcuts ( shown as a Message Class
    >>field in the Mailbox). If I can do this it means that I can choose to

    the
    >>option to create new shortcuts during the import and they will work and

    >>will have no legacy shortcuts remaining.
    >>
    >>Has anyone else had this problem and found an asnwer to it !
    >>
    >>Many thanks
    >>
    >>L.

  5. Re: Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts

    Where is the built in shortcut deletion facility ?

    It's not part of the Export utility ....
    and it's not part of the import process.

    But .. saying that I haven't tried the option

    "Yes, create shortcuts in the associated mailboxes"..

    I'm off to do that now !

    thanks

    Laura

    "Peter Nilsson" wrote:
    >Hi!
    >
    >Firstly i believe the moving inside Exchange2003Sp1 actually uses Exmerge-code

    >underneath - so the effect might be the same.
    >
    >Why not use the built-in shortcut deletion facility if you want to delete

    >shortcuts? You probably have samples already - so you should be able to

    find a
    >suitable time to specify to delete just the ones you don't want.
    >
    >Regards
    >Peter Nilsson

  6. Re: Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts

    On 07/06/2005 "BK" wrote:

    Hi Laura!

    I'm just referring to the shortcut-deletion-tab in the administration console.

    Since you can set how old the shortcuts can be before they get deleted - you
    probably should be able to find a date that would delete just the old ones
    that you dont want. Right?

    Regards,
    Peter

    --
    Regards
    Peter Nilsson

    (Btw: Sophax2 is a really good news client instead of using the web-
    browser)

  7. Re: Moving Vault Stores & Shortcuts

    If you want to relocate mailbox from one EV server to another, I think you
    can use the procedures below:

    1. Disable the archives on old EV server
    2. Export emails from old EV server to PST file
    3. Delete shortcut using Outlook search. You can search shortcut only by
    using "Message Class" contains "Enterprise Vault"
    4. Then import PST into new EV server and create shortcuts

    As old shortcut delete before new shortcut creates, there will be no
    duplicate shortcut.

    "BK" wrote in message news:42a5c207@ROSASTDMZ05....

> [...]

    >>>stage
    >>>I get duplicates for each shortcut which will confuse the user .... or

    >>>choose not to create new short cuts and the old ones are pointing to the
    >>>old store (to which we now have no access) and therefore don't work.
    >>>
    >>>ExMerge doesn't have an option to use the Message Class field,
    >>>
    >>>EVPM cannot do this for me (I don't believe), and
    >>>
    >>>We have no access to users data to do this from within the mailbox after
    >>>the export process has taken place.
    >>>
    >>>Help .... How on earth do I remove the shortcuts ( shown as a Message
    >>>Class
    >>>field in the Mailbox). If I can do this it means that I can choose to

    > the
    >>>option to create new shortcuts during the import and they will work and

    >>>will have no legacy shortcuts remaining.
    >>>
    >>>Has anyone else had this problem and found an asnwer to it !

+ Reply to Thread