Usage Report - Veritas

This is a discussion on Usage Report - Veritas ; I have upgraged the server to SP4. The usage report now displays the size of the vault in MB instead of KB. However, there is a slight discrepency between the size shown in the report and the size from looking ...

  1. Usage Report

    I have upgraged the server to SP4. The usage report now displays the size
    of
    the vault in MB instead of KB. However, there is a slight discrepency between
    the size shown in the report and the size from looking at the regular windows
    size on disk.

    "Windows" size on disk indicator = 74.1 GB
    KVS usage report (2 vaults totaled together) = 94,583 MB

    Normally, from a MB report, convertering from 94,583 MB would give you 92.37
    GB. So, you can see my concern. Maybe I just don't understand what this
    usage report is indicating or there maybe some type of compression on the
    disk side that isn't indicated in the report. Any ideas??

  2. Re: Usage Report

    "Clint" wrote:

    >I have upgraged the server to SP4. The usage report now displays the size
    >of
    >the vault in MB instead of KB. However, there is a slight discrepency between
    >the size shown in the report and the size from looking at the regular windows
    >size on disk.
    >
    >"Windows" size on disk indicator = 74.1 GB
    >KVS usage report (2 vaults totaled together) = 94,583 MB
    >
    >Normally, from a MB report, convertering from 94,583 MB would give you 92.37
    >GB. So, you can see my concern. Maybe I just don't understand what this
    >usage report is indicating or there maybe some type of compression on the
    >disk side that isn't indicated in the report. Any ideas??

    Interesting discussion, I've played around with this for quite a while and
    think I understand how things work, though think things may have changed
    a little since V5 SP3 but more discussion in this forum may provide the final
    answer...here' my oppinion on this.

    The usage report can only show things how they appear to be from an EV perspective.
    That is to say it doesn't report on actual physical usage of the disk for
    each archive but shows how many items & how large they are for each user;
    I would call this a logical view of the storage, also I don't believe the
    report takes account of the compression achieved durring archive though this
    needs confirmation. Therefore usage.asp will always show more usage than
    the actual physcial disk used. Ah yes....they other thing to consider is
    single instance because the report doesn't take care of this, it will count
    items twice so if a 1Mb attachment is in your vault and a colleagues then
    it will be counted as 2Mb in the usage.asp.

  3. Re: Usage Report

    Hi!

    I Agree - disk usage report does not handle single instancing or compression -
    so in real world there might be less bytes used than in the report.

    In theory one could argue that the report should ask the operating system
    about compression ratio - but i don't think it can be done easily in an simple
    report.

    When it comes into single instancing, things can get very confusing:

    An example: One item exists in 10 persons mailboxes - should the report say
    that "Mailbox One" should account for 10% of this? If "Mailbox Two" deletes
    his instance of the item - should then suddenly the size of "Mailbox One"
    increase since he then account for 11.1 %of the file.

    I understand why the person who made the report kept it simple - I don't think
    there is a way to make a perfect report from this - that will satisfy everybody.

    Regards
    Peter Nilsson

+ Reply to Thread