Offline Vault Download - Veritas

This is a discussion on Offline Vault Download - Veritas ; When i force the offline connection with "Update Offline Vault" appears the connection window but disappears one second later without download selected items. The mailbox in another computer works well, sync the OST and download every item but in my ...

  1. Offline Vault Download

    When i force the offline connection with "Update Offline Vault" appears the
    connection window but disappears one second later without download selected
    items.
    The mailbox in another computer works well, sync the OST and download every
    item but in my computer does not work.
    Windows 2000 + Office 2000.
    any idea???
    thanks.

  2. Re: Offline Vault Download

    Luis, before you waste any more time with the offline vault, I'd suggest that
    you get hold of SP4 for the client. There are loads of improvements in SP4,
    we worked with KVS to get them because up untill this release it's fair to
    say that the OV wasn't working 100% as it should. I would also urge anyone
    considering OV to carefully read the online manual; it contains some good
    stuff but it's important to understand how it works if you're using structured
    archives. SP4 has a number of reg entries you can use to imprve how OV downloads
    the cached items. I'd be happy to answer more questions on OV behaviour &
    our experiences.

    "Luis Miguel" wrote:

    >When i force the offline connection with "Update Offline Vault" appears

    the
    >connection window but disappears one second later without download selected
    >items.
    >The mailbox in another computer works well, sync the OST and download every
    >item but in my computer does not work.
    >Windows 2000 + Office 2000.
    >any idea???
    >thanks.

  3. Re: Offline Vault Download

    Hi Glenn,

    What is structured archive? What is it used for ?

    "Glenn" wrote in message

    > Luis, before you waste any more time with the offline vault, I'd suggest
    > that
    > you get hold of SP4 for the client. There are loads of improvements in
    > SP4,
    > we worked with KVS to get them because up untill this release it's fair to
    > say that the OV wasn't working 100% as it should. I would also urge anyone
    > considering OV to carefully read the online manual; it contains some good
    > stuff but it's important to understand how it works if you're using
    > structured
    > archives. SP4 has a number of reg entries you can use to imprve how OV
    > downloads
    > the cached items. I'd be happy to answer more questions on OV behaviour &
    > our experiences.
    >
    > "Luis Miguel" wrote:
    >>
    >>When i force the offline connection with "Update Offline Vault" appears

    > the
    >>connection window but disappears one second later without download
    >>selected
    >>items.
    >>The mailbox in another computer works well, sync the OST and download
    >>every
    >>item but in my computer does not work.
    >>Windows 2000 + Office 2000.
    >>any idea???
    >>thanks.

  4. Re: Offline Vault Download & Structured Archives

    It's all in the online help so let me use that to try an explain.

    "The new Archive Explorer, introduced in Enterprise Vault 4.1, gives users
    a folder view of their archives. The folder names and structure match the
    original mail folders from which items were archived. The view is similar
    to the normal Outlook folders view, with sortable columns for From, Subject,
    Date, and so on. It is also possible to search while using Archive Explorer."

    So this is more relevent for those of you who have been using EV version
    4 and have upgraded to 5. You also have to enable this feature in the Site
    Properties tab which will then automatically set all new user vaults to structured.
    For version 4 users, you'll have to upgrade your existing user indexes to
    allow the archive explorer feature to work.

    Now the archive explorer is a nice feature and your users may or may not
    like it; it shows you a hierachical view of your archive in a familiar folder
    tree view. You can also kick of searches within the view & there are some
    nice features.

    However, the drawback is obvious if you read the extract from the help file.

    "The folder names and structure match the original mail folders from which
    items were archived"

    Now this means the archive explorer will show you the folder view based on
    where the items where archived from. For example, if you're like me & create
    folders beneath your inbox for current activities & then move them to another
    folder once they're complete, the archive explorer will still show the folder
    beneath the inbox if items were ever archived whilst still in that folder.
    I'm starting to change the way in which I work to take account of this and
    OL2003 does help this process with such things as search views etc. I should
    also add that in SP4 they've improved the presentation further (there was
    a bug when viewing the Sent Items folder; you could only see who a message
    was sent from (well that's easy it will always be sent by you) most people
    would want to see who it's sent to.

    There is also an added benefit of structured archives which may or may not
    be of use. It allows you to sync up the Outlook delegated rights on a folder,
    so you can share out a folder to perhaps a colleague or a secretary and they
    will also be able to access any items archived to EV in that folder (and
    also see it within the archive explorer view). Though there can be a dark
    side to this because people can easily share things in Outlook and forget
    & then perhaps they move departments and potentially (depending on your organisation)
    the users that previously had access perhaps should no longer have the right.
    However, if you want to (good old KVS) there's a REG key to turn off the
    inherited delegate rights to stop others from accessing archived items despite
    the fact they've got rights to the original outlook folder.

    SO really it's more a question of personal preference & work practices but
    it's certainly worth a look.

    Hope this answers all your questions
    Regards
    Glenn

    &
    >> our experiences.
    >>
    >> "Luis Miguel" wrote:
    >>>
    >>>When i force the offline connection with "Update Offline Vault" appears

    >> the
    >>>connection window but disappears one second later without download
    >>>selected
    >>>items.
    >>>The mailbox in another computer works well, sync the OST and download

    >>>every
    >>>item but in my computer does not work.
    >>>Windows 2000 + Office 2000.
    >>>any idea???