Remove safety copies from mailboxes - Veritas

This is a discussion on Remove safety copies from mailboxes - Veritas ; I have setup a vault store to remove safety copies from mailboxes after backup. I backup the vault but the safety copies are not removed unless I stop and start the Storage Service. What is the trigger event to remove ...

  1. Remove safety copies from mailboxes

    I have setup a vault store to remove safety copies from mailboxes after backup.
    I backup the vault but the safety copies are not removed unless I stop and
    start the Storage Service. What is the trigger event to remove the safety
    copy after backups? I can't believe that I would have to stop and start
    the service each time after a backup but I can not find anything that tiggers
    them from being removed after being backed up.

  2. Re: Remove safety copies from mailboxes

    EV can work in two ways when dealing with safety copies, either by scanning
    the vault store and looking for archive bit being cleared. The scan process
    doesn't automatically start after your backup but at set periods durring
    the day, so if you wait you should see a storagefilewatch process start &
    this is will look for the archive bit being reset (therefore backed up) and
    then will remove the safety copy. This obviously isn't efficient when you
    start archiving millions of items to you might want to look at the trigger
    file method - this is well documented in the online help but does need a
    storage service restart but I think it's worth it because it puts you in
    control of when the safety copies get removed.

  3. Re: Remove safety copies from mailboxes

    &
    >this is will look for the archive bit being reset (therefore backed up)

    and
    >then will remove the safety copy. This obviously isn't efficient when you
    >start archiving millions of items to you might want to look at the trigger
    >file method - this is well documented in the online help but does need a
    >storage service restart but I think it's worth it because it puts you in
    >control of when the safety copies get removed.

    Thank for the information. Sounds like you have some experience with this
    so I have few more questions. Do you know what interval that storagefilewatch
    runs and can it be changes to a set time (i.e. after backups complete)?
    I think the Help information implies every 12hr after the storage service
    has been started but I am hoping it is more often then that. If I use the
    trigger file method do I need to replace the file everytime storagefilewatch
    runs and renames the file? If so

  4. Re: Remove safety copies from mailboxes

    "S Lewis" wrote:

    >"Glenn" wrote:
    >>
    >>EV can work in two ways when dealing with safety copies, either by scanning
    >>the vault store and looking for archive bit being cleared. The scan process
    >>doesn't automatically start after your backup but at set periods durring
    >>the day, so if you wait you should see a storagefilewatch process start

    >&
    >>this is will look for the archive bit being reset (therefore backed up)

    >and
    >>then will remove the safety copy. This obviously isn't efficient when you
    >>start archiving millions of items to you might want to look at the trigger
    >>file method - this is well documented in the online help but does need

    >>storage service restart but I think it's worth it because it puts you in
    >>control of when the safety copies get removed.

    >Thank for the information. Sounds like you have some experience with this
    >so I have few more questions. Do you know what interval that storagefilewatch
    >runs and can it be changes to a set time (i.e. after backups complete)?

    >I think the Help information implies every 12hr after the storage service
    >has been started but I am hoping it is more often then that. If I use the
    >trigger file method do I need to replace the file everytime storagefilewatch
    >runs and renames the file? If so

  5. Re: Remove safety copies from mailboxes

    Sorry for mis-post earlier!

    FileWatchScanInterval
    Location
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SOFTWARE
    \KVS
    \Enterprise Vault
    \Storage
    Content
    DWORD value with a value set to a number minutes.

    This value enables you to set how frequently these scans happen

    If the value is set to 0 then no rescanning is performed. If the value does
    not exist then the rescan is done every 12 hours.

+ Reply to Thread