items continually pending ??? - Veritas

This is a discussion on items continually pending ??? - Veritas ; I've had some messages that have been moved to the vault store that still say Pending on them. I can't delete or reply/forward these messages right now. I've tried resynching the mailbox but it still pends. any ideas on how ...

  1. items continually pending ???

    I've had some messages that have been moved to the vault store that still
    say Pending on them. I can't delete or reply/forward these messages right
    now. I've tried resynching the mailbox but it still pends. any ideas on
    how to get it to stop pending process or force it to synch?

    thanks.

  2. Re: items continually pending ???

    "Phil" wrote:

    >I've had some messages that have been moved to the vault store that still
    >say Pending on them. I can't delete or reply/forward these messages right
    >now. I've tried resynching the mailbox but it still pends. any ideas on
    >how to get it to stop pending process or force it to synch?
    >
    >thanks.

    This isn't uncommon, we see these on a regular basis and there's no pattern
    to tell us why; however they should be fixable most of the time. If you're
    on version 4 you can run a tool called CancelPending and target specific
    mailboxes or entire servers, when I used to run this on V4 it would often
    clean up 100's of pending items.

    With V5, it becomes less obvious how to do this because one of the product
    documents says that you don't need the cancelpending tool anymore because
    V5 is so much better. Well guess what, we still see them but there is a way
    to clean them up, it involves setting a reg key and then running a report
    mode only archive run against one or many archives.

    We've found this to work most of the time but haven't noticed what the performance
    impact is when setting it; it is kind of annoying that the product won't
    by default reset any pending items, say older than 1 week, but it doesn't.
    I've also not found a way to list the pending items it resets, I see to remember
    the old tool would run in a read only mode to show you the scale of the problem
    but that's progress for you.

    Here's the extract from the snapin.chm help file:

    Cancel pending items
    The Enterprise Vault Archiving and Journaling Services can cancel archiving
    of each item that is in the archive-pending state. These are items that have
    been archived but whose corresponding archives have not been backed up.

    To make the Archiving and Journaling Services cancel pending items, create
    a registry DWORD value called PendingShortcutTimeout on the computer that
    is running the service, under the following registry key:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    \SOFTWARE
    \KVS
    \Enterprise Vault
    \Agents

    The possible values of PendingShortcutTimeout are:

    An integer specifying the number of days to allow items to remain in an archive-pending
    state before being reset.

    FFFFFFFF to disable the canceling of pending items. Alternatively, you can
    delete the registry value.

    00000000 to cancel all pending items of any age when running in Report mode.
    This value has no effect in Normal mode.

    Note that there is a performance penalty if PendingShortcutTimeout exists
    and is set to anything other than FFFFFFFF. This registry value is intended
    to be used when needed, not for everyday use.

  3. Re: items continually pending ???

    Ok very simple one you dont have to run the cancel pending tool, if you want
    your pending items to change to a fully vault icon just run the below from
    a command prompt:

    attrib -a "C:\Vault stores\*.*" /s

    Of course just change the C:\Vault stores to the location of the vault stores,
    this will force a reset archive bit, check your pending items now and they
    should all appear fully vaulted.

    "Glenn" wrote:

> [...]

    >is running the service, under the following registry key:
    >
    >HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    > \SOFTWARE
    > \KVS
    > \Enterprise Vault
    > \Agents
    >
    >The possible values of PendingShortcutTimeout are:
    >
    >An integer specifying the number of days to allow items to remain in an

    archive-pending
    >state before being reset.
    >
    >FFFFFFFF to disable the canceling of pending items. Alternatively, you can
    >delete the registry value.
    >
    >00000000 to cancel all pending items of any age when running in Report mode.
    >This value has no effect in Normal mode.
    >
    >Note that there is a performance penalty if PendingShortcutTimeout exists
    >and is set to anything other than FFFFFFFF. This registry value is intended
    >to be used when needed, not for everyday use.

  4. Re: items continually pending ???

    Ah, quite so, this is a fundamental requirement, if you create safety copies
    in the mailbox then the storagefilewatch process has to check the archive
    attribute of the associated DVS before it can update the shortcut. But this
    doesn't scale well for larger EV installs and so KVS developed a trigger
    file option, very well detailed in the online help manual. This option monitors
    the existence of a specific file, once it sees it, EV will then assume the
    backup is complete and then removes the safety copies. Obviously you can
    use your backup software to create/rename this file at the end of a backup.

    However if you're not creating saftey copies then niether of these things
    help; hence my reason for going into the pendingshortcuttimeout reg key.

    "Ian" wrote:

> [...]

    >>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    >> \SOFTWARE
    >> \KVS
    >> \Enterprise Vault
    >> \Agents
    >>
    >>The possible values of PendingShortcutTimeout are:
    >>
    >>An integer specifying the number of days to allow items to remain in an

    >archive-pending
    >>state before being reset.
    >>
    >>FFFFFFFF to disable the canceling of pending items. Alternatively, you

    can
    >>delete the registry value.
    >>
    >>00000000 to cancel all pending items of any age when running in Report

    mode.
    >>This value has no effect in Normal mode.
    >>
    >>Note that there is a performance penalty if PendingShortcutTimeout exists
    >>and is set to anything other than FFFFFFFF. This registry value is intended
    >>to be used when needed, not for everyday use.

+ Reply to Thread