Compression ratio 12.2:1 - Veritas

This is a discussion on Compression ratio 12.2:1 - Veritas ; Backups have been working fine with version 9.1 Rev 4691 for some time. Recently the tape has been ejected during backup with no information regarding the eject in the log. The log gives strange errors. I get this most often: ...

  1. Compression ratio 12.2:1

    Backups have been working fine with version 9.1 Rev 4691 for some time.
    Recently the tape has been ejected during backup with no information
    regarding the eject in the log. The log gives strange errors. I get
    this most often:

    The media operation was terminated by the user.
    Error reading file data.
    Error reading file data.
    The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been
    lost. Please check for network errors.
    A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data
    processing

    Usually after that, the BE Remote Agent is hung or stopped. Then upon
    restarting it, the Job Engine might hang or stop. Once services are
    restarted it seems to go ok, but problems recur again the next backup.

    I have scheduled a reboot, but I got very weird statistics on my last
    backup tape. The error was as above, and when I looked at the tape
    stats I saw this:

    Media label: DLT000003
    Media description:
    Used capacity: 4.28 GB
    Available capacity: 37.8 GB
    Total capacity: 42.1 GB
    Bytes written: 52.3 GB
    Compression ratio: 12.2:1

    I think it's fantastic I got 52.3GB crammed into 4.28GB of tape, but
    reality set in and I don't think that's possible. Any ideas?

  2. Re: Compression ratio 12.2:1

    This is kind of strange. It would appear that it might be related to
    the size of the backup. The amount of data being backed up is very
    close to the maximum capacity of the tape. I would not expect it to
    crash if the data exceeded the size of the tape. Any ideas?

    Dvord Direwood wrote:

    > Backups have been working fine with version 9.1 Rev 4691 for some time.
    > Recently the tape has been ejected during backup with no information
    > regarding the eject in the log. The log gives strange errors. I get
    > this most often:
    >
    > The media operation was terminated by the user.
    > Error reading file data.
    > Error reading file data.
    > The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been
    > lost. Please check for network errors.
    > A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data
    > processing
    >
    > Usually after that, the BE Remote Agent is hung or stopped. Then upon
    > restarting it, the Job Engine might hang or stop. Once services are
    > restarted it seems to go ok, but problems recur again the next backup.
    >
    > I have scheduled a reboot, but I got very weird statistics on my last
    > backup tape. The error was as above, and when I looked at the tape
    > stats I saw this:
    >
    > Media label: DLT000003
    > Media description:
    > Used capacity: 4.28 GB
    > Available capacity: 37.8 GB
    > Total capacity: 42.1 GB
    > Bytes written: 52.3 GB
    > Compression ratio: 12.2:1
    >
    > I think it's fantastic I got 52.3GB crammed into 4.28GB of tape, but
    > reality set in and I don't think that's possible. Any ideas?

  3. Re: Compression ratio 12.2:1

    I have a similar problem, that is complicated as the more tapes used in the
    job, the higher compression ratio I have. By the time the tapes are done,
    the system records compression ratio's of 50,000,000 to 1 and that the 110
    gig tape is only 4 kb.

    I have spoken to veritas on this issue extensivly and they are no help whatso
    ever in the resolution. The restores work and the tapes all verify. I believe
    this is one of their problems chosen to ignore, similar to the problem of
    daylight saving time changing the time the jobs execute. (resubmitting the
    jobs fixes it, but though this issue is in the forums in droves, I have not
    been able to get anyone at veritas to acknowledge the problem exists at all)
    Any one I have spoken to says "I have never heard of this before".

    Good luck and post if you have a resolution.

    Dvord Direwood wrote:
    >This is kind of strange. It would appear that it might be related to
    >the size of the backup. The amount of data being backed up is very
    >close to the maximum capacity of the tape. I would not expect it to
    >crash if the data exceeded the size of the tape. Any ideas?
    >
    >Dvord Direwood wrote:
    >
    >> Backups have been working fine with version 9.1 Rev 4691 for some time.

    >> Recently the tape has been ejected during backup with no information
    >> regarding the eject in the log. The log gives strange errors. I get
    >> this most often:
    >>
    >> The media operation was terminated by the user.
    >> Error reading file data.
    >> Error reading file data.
    >> The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been

    >> lost. Please check for network errors.
    >> A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data

    >> processing
    >>
    >> Usually after that, the BE Remote Agent is hung or stopped. Then upon
    >> restarting it, the Job Engine might hang or stop. Once services are
    >> restarted it seems to go ok, but problems recur again the next backup.
    >>
    >> I have scheduled a reboot, but I got very weird statistics on my last
    >> backup tape. The error was as above, and when I looked at the tape
    >> stats I saw this:
    >>
    >> Media label: DLT000003
    >> Media description:
    >> Used capacity: 4.28 GB
    >> Available capacity: 37.8 GB
    >> Total capacity: 42.1 GB
    >> Bytes written: 52.3 GB
    >> Compression ratio: 12.2:1
    >>
    >> I think it's fantastic I got 52.3GB crammed into 4.28GB of tape, but
    >> reality set in and I don't think that's possible. Any ideas?

+ Reply to Thread