Disaster recovery - Veritas

This is a discussion on Disaster recovery - Veritas ; About how many cd's will I be using for disaster recovery backup? I've used 6 and have barely started? It's going to take hours! Is it worth it? They recommend making new set every time change anything on computer. Who ...

  1. Disaster recovery

    About how many cd's will I be using for disaster recovery backup? I've used
    6 and have barely started? It's going to take hours! Is it worth it? They
    recommend making new set every time change anything on computer. Who in
    the world would have time to do this?

  2. Re: Disaster recovery

    The ONLY cost effective way to do a FULL back up is to use tape or external
    hard drives.
    CD-RW or CD-R is only useful for incremental/differential backup.

    Actually, I've decided that my next system will use the following:

    1. Two external USB/Firewire drives, each of which having a capacity at
    least as large as total internal hard drives.
    I would alternate using each drive for a FULL backup. Disconnecting both
    drives when not in use to protect from power problems.

    2. CD-RW drive for incremental/differential backup.

    Note that Dantz Retrospect Pro 6 is alleged to have the capability of
    creating a bootable CD that would allow disaster recovery by booting from
    the CD and accessing the external USB drives. I do not believe that BUMP has
    this capability.

    Of course, if you need to archive backups for longer periods of time, or
    take backup media offsite, then tape is likely more cost effective.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
    "Tom Bowles" wrote in message

    > About how many cd's will I be using for disaster recovery backup? I've

    used
    > 6 and have barely started? It's going to take hours! Is it worth it?

    They
    > recommend making new set every time change anything on computer. Who in
    > the world would have time to do this?

  3. Re: Disaster recovery

    Since it is doing a full backup, see what the total size of data on ALL you
    disks/partitions is and that's how much it will back up. Since I do selected
    backups (including system state) I've never bothered to let it complete a
    full backup, even to tape.

    --
    John Bissell

    "Tom Bowles" wrote in message

    > About how many cd's will I be using for disaster recovery backup? I've

    used
    > 6 and have barely started? It's going to take hours! Is it worth it?

    They
    > recommend making new set every time change anything on computer. Who in
    > the world would have time to do this?

+ Reply to Thread