Disaster Recovery Disaster - Veritas

This is a discussion on Disaster Recovery Disaster - Veritas ; I lost my Win2k registry last month and was forced to try a disaster recovery with Backup MyPC 4.81. I had a set of disaster recovery diskettes and a weekly backup on tape. I had expected that the set of ...

  1. Disaster Recovery Disaster

    I lost my Win2k registry last month and was forced to try a disaster
    recovery with Backup MyPC 4.81. I had a set of disaster recovery diskettes
    and a weekly backup on tape. I had expected that the set of diskettes would
    enable me to directly restore from the tape, but instead found that it first
    installs Windows 2000 and then retreives the data from the Seagate tape.

    The physical configuration of the system had not changed at all. After hours
    of disk formatting, Windows installation, and then the restore form tape,
    all I accomplished was to get a blue screen of death upon reboot. Several
    additional attempts, including restoring a file backup under NT backup were
    futile. I ended up reinstalling the system.

    Perhaps I did something wrong and someone here can explain the proper
    procedure in case this happens again. My expectation was that the disaster
    recovery would boot DOS and then just restore the contents of the tape onto
    the disk, much like installing a new hardfile and using the disk-to-disk
    setup utilities that they package. (I know that things like paging space
    would have to be created as they aren't saved.)

    Any ideas on how to have this be succcessful if I ever need to do it again?
    -----
    John

  2. Re: Disaster Recovery Disaster

    One way is to create a dual boot, say, Win 98/Win 2000 system, each on a
    separate logical drive.
    If Win 2000 craps out, boot to Win 98 and restore files.
    --
    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
    "John Bissell" wrote in message
    > I lost my Win2k registry last month and was forced to try a disaster
    > recovery with Backup MyPC 4.81. I had a set of disaster recovery diskettes
    > and a weekly backup on tape. I had expected that the set of diskettes

    would
    > enable me to directly restore from the tape, but instead found that it

    first
    > installs Windows 2000 and then retreives the data from the Seagate tape.
    >
    > The physical configuration of the system had not changed at all. After

    hours
    > of disk formatting, Windows installation, and then the restore form tape,
    > all I accomplished was to get a blue screen of death upon reboot. Several
    > additional attempts, including restoring a file backup under NT backup

    were
    > futile. I ended up reinstalling the system.
    >
    > Perhaps I did something wrong and someone here can explain the proper
    > procedure in case this happens again. My expectation was that the disaster
    > recovery would boot DOS and then just restore the contents of the tape

    onto
    > the disk, much like installing a new hardfile and using the disk-to-disk
    > setup utilities that they package. (I know that things like paging space
    > would have to be created as they aren't saved.)
    >
    > Any ideas on how to have this be succcessful if I ever need to do it

    again?
    > -----
    > John

  3. Re: Disaster Recovery Disaster

    > Any ideas on how to have this be succcessful if I ever need to do it
    again?
    > -----
    > John

    Buy Drive Image or Ghost and get on with your life. Veritas is a good backup
    program but the disaster recovery is truly named and not worth the trouble.

    -------
    Snotty

  4. Re: Disaster Recovery Disaster

    Anybody experienced with Dantz Retrospect?

    As I understand it, Retrospect allows you to create a bootable CD that
    contains all the files necessary to access all drives, including external
    USB and Firewire drives.

    --
    "Snotty" wrote in message
    > > Any ideas on how to have this be succcessful if I ever need to do it

    > again?
    > > -----
    > > John

    > Buy Drive Image or Ghost and get on with your life. Veritas is a good

    backup
    > program but the disaster recovery is truly named and not worth the

    trouble.

    > -------
    > Snotty

+ Reply to Thread