Backing up to file - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backing up to file - Veritas ; I use Backup Exec ver 4.4.1. I schedule either differential or incremental backups to run in the middle of the night. I backup to a file. The file resides on another networked workstation with a large disk drive. If I ...

  1. Backing up to file

    I use Backup Exec ver 4.4.1.

    I schedule either differential or incremental backups to run in the middle
    of the night. I backup to a file. The file resides on another networked
    workstation with a large disk drive.

    If I do a full backup on Monday, and incremental backups on Tuesday, Wed,
    Thrs and Fri to a file, does Wed's incremental backup completly wipe out
    Tuesday's incremental backup? Remember, these incremental backups are auto
    scheduled, so there appears to be no way to change the DOS file name.

    Is there a way to tell backup exec to append the date/time to the file name?

    Or is there a way to tell backup exec to append each day's backup to the end
    of the file from all the previous days, like an old tape drive?

    Thanks folks.

  2. Re: Backing up to file

    Yes it is writing over the other file.

    Create different jobs for each day, where they save to monday.qic,
    teusday.qic, etc...

    Then schedule the jobs to run on the set days.

    Apending to file won't work. I heard that's why they took that feature out
    in future builds (maybe even your version).

    This should fix you.

    Chris

    "Cosmo" wrote in message news:3de50e8f@hronntp01....
    > I use Backup Exec ver 4.4.1.
    >
    > I schedule either differential or incremental backups to run in the middle
    > of the night. I backup to a file. The file resides on another networked
    > workstation with a large disk drive.
    >
    > If I do a full backup on Monday, and incremental backups on Tuesday, Wed,
    > Thrs and Fri to a file, does Wed's incremental backup completly wipe out
    > Tuesday's incremental backup? Remember, these incremental backups are auto
    > scheduled, so there appears to be no way to change the DOS file name.
    >
    > Is there a way to tell backup exec to append the date/time to the file

    name?

    > Or is there a way to tell backup exec to append each day's backup to the

    end
    > of the file from all the previous days, like an old tape drive?
    >
    > Thanks folks.

+ Reply to Thread