Getting lost in all the different names for things (very new to BE) - Veritas

This is a discussion on Getting lost in all the different names for things (very new to BE) - Veritas ; Hi, I'm using version 8.6 with 1 singel DDS3 24GB Datdrive by HP. I'm quite new to Backup Executive and I'm finding it hard to understand what's what.. We have devices, media, media sets, media names, media labels, media catalogs.... ...

  1. Getting lost in all the different names for things (very new to BE)

    Hi,

    I'm using version 8.6 with 1 singel DDS3 24GB Datdrive by HP.

    I'm quite new to Backup Executive and I'm finding it hard to understand
    what's what..

    We have devices, media, media sets, media names, media labels, media
    catalogs....

    - Maybe I should start at the begining: what is "a media"?

    - It seems I can define sets, to these sets I can add tapes (correct?)
    Do I understand correctly I could define a set to use for specific backup
    jobs, and add 2 tapes to this set. I can then set a job to use this set and
    then I can backup to either one of these tapes while the other is stored
    off-site, and a week later I could swap these tapes and things would go on
    just fine?

    - Maybe you read this and think RT*M, the thing is I have a nearly 1000 page
    thick manual wich doesn't seem to have simple definitions of these things...
    Maybe if anwsering my questions is to much work you could point me to a
    website which could help me get started...

    ThanX a Lot!

    Pal

  2. Re: Getting lost in all the different names for things (very new to BE)

    On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 00:54:10 +0100, Palloquin Combobulated:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I'm using version 8.6 with 1 singel DDS3 24GB Datdrive by HP.
    >
    > I'm quite new to Backup Executive and I'm finding it hard to understand
    > what's what..
    >
    > We have devices, media, media sets, media names, media labels, media
    > catalogs....
    >
    > - Maybe I should start at the begining: what is "a media"?

    Media is the type of backup device that you will use, i.e. tape, CD,
    floppy, zip, LS120, etc.

    > - It seems I can define sets, to these sets I can add tapes (correct?)
    > Do I understand correctly I could define a set to use for specific backup
    > jobs, and add 2 tapes to this set. I can then set a job to use this set and
    > then I can backup to either one of these tapes while the other is stored
    > off-site, and a week later I could swap these tapes and things would go on
    > just fine?

    Hmmm...... kind of confusing but yes, you can rotate media - and you
    should ;^).

    > - Maybe you read this and think RT*M, the thing is I have a nearly 1000 page
    > thick manual wich doesn't seem to have simple definitions of these things...
    > Maybe if anwsering my questions is to much work you could point me to a
    > website which could help me get started...

    The only thing I can find is a page where you can download the manual in
    ..pdf http://www.stompinc.com/support/index.phtml?stp.

    --
    Over and Out,
    CRH 8^)>