What's up ? - Veritas

This is a discussion on What's up ? - Veritas ; I own an older win98 version of Backup Exec . I've since bought a Seagate tapestor USB tape drive that has 20gig of storage which is nice for the size drives I have now. However it comes with Dantz Retrospec ...

  1. What's up ?

    I own an older win98 version of Backup Exec . I've since bought
    a Seagate tapestor USB tape drive that has 20gig of storage which
    is nice for the size drives I have now. However it comes with Dantz
    Retrospec Software that is "terribly sloooooow" and cryptic.
    And my Backup Exec does not support it. Also I can't seem to
    find many news groups for anything except Veritus.
    The backup industry appears to be going thru some sort of
    metamorphosis with 40gig external USB drivescoming out now.
    Does anyone know of a new Backup Software that will handle
    my tapestore drive ?

  2. Re: What's up ?

    check BUMP (Back Up My PC) at www.stomp.com.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
    "Jim_T" wrote in message news:3dcd346a@hronntp01....
    > I own an older win98 version of Backup Exec . I've since bought
    > a Seagate tapestor USB tape drive that has 20gig of storage which
    > is nice for the size drives I have now. However it comes with Dantz
    > Retrospec Software that is "terribly sloooooow" and cryptic.
    > And my Backup Exec does not support it. Also I can't seem to
    > find many news groups for anything except Veritus.
    > The backup industry appears to be going thru some sort of
    > metamorphosis with 40gig external USB drivescoming out now.
    > Does anyone know of a new Backup Software that will handle
    > my tapestore drive ?

  3. Re: What's up ?

    the new versions of Backup My PC (formerly Backup Exec Desktop) is available
    here:
    www.stompinc.com North America, Australia.
    http://www.orlogix.com/products.php Europe
    www.easy.co.jp Asia

    Chris

    "Jim_T" wrote in message news:3dcd346a@hronntp01....
    > I own an older win98 version of Backup Exec . I've since bought
    > a Seagate tapestor USB tape drive that has 20gig of storage which
    > is nice for the size drives I have now. However it comes with Dantz
    > Retrospec Software that is "terribly sloooooow" and cryptic.
    > And my Backup Exec does not support it. Also I can't seem to
    > find many news groups for anything except Veritus.
    > The backup industry appears to be going thru some sort of
    > metamorphosis with 40gig external USB drivescoming out now.
    > Does anyone know of a new Backup Software that will handle
    > my tapestore drive ?

  4. Re: What's up ?

    I meant www.stompinc.com

    --
    "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > check BUMP (Back Up My PC) at www.stomp.com.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    > including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing;

    Standards;
    > Product functional/design/specifications
    > "Jim_T" wrote in message news:3dcd346a@hronntp01....
    > > I own an older win98 version of Backup Exec . I've since bought
    > > a Seagate tapestor USB tape drive that has 20gig of storage which
    > > is nice for the size drives I have now. However it comes with Dantz
    > > Retrospec Software that is "terribly sloooooow" and cryptic.
    > > And my Backup Exec does not support it. Also I can't seem to
    > > find many news groups for anything except Veritus.
    > > The backup industry appears to be going thru some sort of
    > > metamorphosis with 40gig external USB drivescoming out now.
    > > Does anyone know of a new Backup Software that will handle
    > > my tapestore drive ?

  5. Re: What's up ?

    Thanks to both replies! It appears that I can upgrade to
    My PC Backup for reasonable price. One question though
    on My PC Backup , on a restore , I not so much concerned
    as to whether I have to reinstall windows from a CD first ,
    since this is only a minor time loss in comparison but I would
    like to know if My PC Backup has the ability to restore DLL
    and Vxd files that are currently in use and cannot be overwritten
    without the reboot scenario ? In other words can it take care
    of having these files restored on the reboot ?
    The version of Veritas Backup Exec I have ( 4.xx) will not do
    this , it simply gives you a list of files that it could not restore
    due to files in use . With my current version I would have to
    use a 32bit long filename dos Back Magic app to restore these
    files.

  6. Re: What's up ?

    It will restore them, but will require a reboot for the new files to be used
    by the OS.

    Chris

    "Jim_T" wrote in message news:3dd0c9b4$1@hronntp01....
    > Thanks to both replies! It appears that I can upgrade to
    > My PC Backup for reasonable price. One question though
    > on My PC Backup , on a restore , I not so much concerned
    > as to whether I have to reinstall windows from a CD first ,
    > since this is only a minor time loss in comparison but I would
    > like to know if My PC Backup has the ability to restore DLL
    > and Vxd files that are currently in use and cannot be overwritten
    > without the reboot scenario ? In other words can it take care
    > of having these files restored on the reboot ?
    > The version of Veritas Backup Exec I have ( 4.xx) will not do
    > this , it simply gives you a list of files that it could not restore
    > due to files in use . With my current version I would have to
    > use a 32bit long filename dos Back Magic app to restore these
    > files.

  7. Re: What's up ?

    I had no such problems with BE 4.5 and none with BUMP.

    Here's a recent log file for an incremental backup.

    Backup Job Started - 11/9/2002 0:25:42
    Backup Device: Seagate STT8000N Drive
    Backup Device Firmware: 3.54
    Backup Product: Stomp Backup MyPC 4.81 100B40a
    Backup Type: Incremental - new or changed files will be marked as archived
    Backup Media: Recovery Media Incremental #1 - 10/6/2002 1:47
    Skipped File: G:\WINNT\SECURITY\LOGS\scepol.log - in use by another
    application, it will be skipped.
    System Registry, COM+ Class Registration, Operating System, and Boot files
    have been backed up.
    Processed File Count: 2,270
    Total Bytes After Compression: 209,885,426
    Total Bytes Before Compression: 436,465,571
    Operation Completed - Yes
    Backup Job Ended - 11/9/2002 0:38:18
    Compare Job Started - 11/9/2002 0:39:19
    Backup Media: Recovery Media Incremental #1 - 10/6/2002 1:47
    Warning: G:\Program Files\EPSON\EPSON SMART PANEL for Scanner\SmaPanel.ini
    has been modified since it was backed up.
    This change is a normal occurrence made by Windows or other applications.
    Processed File Count: 2,269
    Total Bytes Before Compression: 436,464,792
    Operation Completed - Yes
    Compare Job Ended - 11/9/2002 0:50:10

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
    Product functional/design/specifications
    "Jim_T" wrote in message news:3dd0c9b4$1@hronntp01....
    > Thanks to both replies! It appears that I can upgrade to
    > My PC Backup for reasonable price. One question though
    > on My PC Backup , on a restore , I not so much concerned
    > as to whether I have to reinstall windows from a CD first ,
    > since this is only a minor time loss in comparison but I would
    > like to know if My PC Backup has the ability to restore DLL
    > and Vxd files that are currently in use and cannot be overwritten
    > without the reboot scenario ? In other words can it take care
    > of having these files restored on the reboot ?
    > The version of Veritas Backup Exec I have ( 4.xx) will not do
    > this , it simply gives you a list of files that it could not restore
    > due to files in use . With my current version I would have to
    > use a 32bit long filename dos Back Magic app to restore these
    > files.

  8. Re: What's up ?

    Hmmm, maybe it was when it was still Seagate Backup Exec, I've been
    using it for about 3 or 4 different versions since before Veritas bought
    them out. But I know for sure it did happen when I was running win95.
    Fortunately that was the only full restore disaster I had. Glad to hear
    that it's no longer and issue.

+ Reply to Thread