error after performing majority of backup successfully - Veritas

This is a discussion on error after performing majority of backup successfully - Veritas ; The following error message is displayed at the bottom of the report file after successfully backing up approx 4 GB. Hardware Details: Seagate Travan ATAPI 20 GB STT20000A Veritas Backup Exec 4.62 W2K Pro, SP3, IE6 PII 400, 256MB RAM ...

  1. error after performing majority of backup successfully

    The following error message is displayed at the bottom of the report file
    after successfully backing up approx 4 GB.

    Hardware Details:
    Seagate Travan ATAPI 20 GB STT20000A
    Veritas Backup Exec 4.62
    W2K Pro, SP3, IE6
    PII 400, 256MB RAM

    Error: An error occurred while reading the media. The media cannot be read
    or contains an unknown media format. If the media contains valid data, please
    verify the device connections or try changing the device settings.
    This media cannot be used with the device. (07-13-23-11-0300)

    any advise would be appreciated

  2. Re: error after performing majority of backup successfully

    Devin,

    I think that may have helped.

    Your drive is reporting: "Media is unrecognized".

    Are you using a TR-5 tape? Who makes it? It sounds as if you have

    Chris

    "Devin" wrote in message

    > The following error message is displayed at the bottom of the report file
    > after successfully backing up approx 4 GB.
    >
    > Hardware Details:
    > Seagate Travan ATAPI 20 GB STT20000A
    > Veritas Backup Exec 4.62
    > W2K Pro, SP3, IE6
    > PII 400, 256MB RAM
    >
    > Error: An error occurred while reading the media. The media cannot be

    read
    > or contains an unknown media format. If the media contains valid data,

    please
    > verify the device connections or try changing the device settings.
    > This media cannot be used with the device. (07-13-23-11-0300)
    >
    > any advise would be appreciated

  3. Re: error after performing majority of backup successfully

    oops, cut myself off....

    anyways, i was trying to say...

    It sounds as if you have gotten ahold of a different tape format (possibly
    TR-4 or TR-7).

    Chris

    "Chris" wrote in message news:3dadf1bb$1@hronntp01....
    > Devin,
    >
    > I think that may have helped.
    >
    > Your drive is reporting: "Media is unrecognized".
    >
    > Are you using a TR-5 tape? Who makes it? It sounds as if you have
    >
    > Chris
    >
    > "Devin" wrote in message
    > >
    > > The following error message is displayed at the bottom of the report

    file
    > > after successfully backing up approx 4 GB.
    > >
    > > Hardware Details:
    > > Seagate Travan ATAPI 20 GB STT20000A
    > > Veritas Backup Exec 4.62
    > > W2K Pro, SP3, IE6
    > > PII 400, 256MB RAM
    > >
    > > Error: An error occurred while reading the media. The media cannot be

    > read
    > > or contains an unknown media format. If the media contains valid data,

    > please
    > > verify the device connections or try changing the device settings.
    > > This media cannot be used with the device. (07-13-23-11-0300)
    > >
    > > any advise would be appreciated

  4. Re: error after performing majority of backup successfully

    Thanks Chris...

    good thought, but I've already confirmed the tapes are compliant TR-5 STTM20
    20 GB Travan cartidges by Imation. Have 6 new tapes and all exhibit the
    same behaviour. Am hesitant to purchase more more to test with as there
    a little on the expensive side. Are you saying it would be worth testing
    a few new Seagate brand TR-5 tapes?

    Chris - what if the TR-5 tapes were accidentally used in a TR-4 tape drive?
    Would the format or header of the tape be changed? Is it possible to change
    it back to TR-5? I believe this may be the case as the user has 2 different
    tape drives (a TR-4 and a TR-5) and I believe they made the mistake of trying
    to use the TR-5 tapes in the TR-4 drive - this is when I got the call to
    fix as the backups weren't performing correctly anymore. Of course the user
    would not admitt they may have done this, but all the cases were open...so...I
    hope this insight helps with the troubleshooting.

    "Chris" wrote:
    >oops, cut myself off....
    >
    >anyways, i was trying to say...
    >
    >It sounds as if you have gotten ahold of a different tape format (possibly
    >TR-4 or TR-7).
    >
    >Chris
    >

    >"Chris" wrote in message news:3dadf1bb$1@hronntp01....
    >> Devin,
    >>
    >> I think that may have helped.
    >>
    >> Your drive is reporting: "Media is unrecognized".
    >>
    >> Are you using a TR-5 tape? Who makes it? It sounds as if you have
    >>
    >> Chris
    >>
    >> "Devin" wrote in message
    >> >
    >> > The following error message is displayed at the bottom of the report

    >file
    >> > after successfully backing up approx 4 GB.
    >> >
    >> > Hardware Details:
    >> > Seagate Travan ATAPI 20 GB STT20000A
    >> > Veritas Backup Exec 4.62
    >> > W2K Pro, SP3, IE6
    >> > PII 400, 256MB RAM
    >> >
    >> > Error: An error occurred while reading the media. The media cannot

    be
    >> read
    >> > or contains an unknown media format. If the media contains valid data,

    >> please
    >> > verify the device connections or try changing the device settings.
    >> > This media cannot be used with the device. (07-13-23-11-0300)
    >> >
    >> > any advise would be appreciated

  5. Re: error after performing majority of backup successfully

    Sounds like you hit that nail on the head. If that was tried, it would have
    trashed the tape. Those tapes are formated at the factory and can 't be
    formated by Backup Exec. You might be able to send those tapes back to
    Imation for replacements, but no garentees.

    I do understand the fact that those tapes are on the pricey side. You said
    that the drive passed with the Seagate Tape tools app? Have you looked in
    that app to see if they have anything that might format the tape?

    Chris

    "Devin" wrote in message

    > Thanks Chris...
    >
    > good thought, but I've already confirmed the tapes are compliant TR-5

    STTM20
    > 20 GB Travan cartidges by Imation. Have 6 new tapes and all exhibit the
    > same behaviour. Am hesitant to purchase more more to test with as there
    > a little on the expensive side. Are you saying it would be worth testing
    > a few new Seagate brand TR-5 tapes?
    >
    > Chris - what if the TR-5 tapes were accidentally used in a TR-4 tape

    drive?
    > Would the format or header of the tape be changed? Is it possible to

    change
    > it back to TR-5? I believe this may be the case as the user has 2

    different
    > tape drives (a TR-4 and a TR-5) and I believe they made the mistake of

    trying
    > to use the TR-5 tapes in the TR-4 drive - this is when I got the call to
    > fix as the backups weren't performing correctly anymore. Of course the

    user
    > would not admitt they may have done this, but all the cases were

    open...so...I
    > hope this insight helps with the troubleshooting.
    >

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > >oops, cut myself off....
    > >
    > >anyways, i was trying to say...
    > >
    > >It sounds as if you have gotten ahold of a different tape format

    (possibly
    > >TR-4 or TR-7).
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >

    > >"Chris" wrote in message news:3dadf1bb$1@hronntp01....
    > >> Devin,
    > >>
    > >> I think that may have helped.
    > >>
    > >> Your drive is reporting: "Media is unrecognized".
    > >>
    > >> Are you using a TR-5 tape? Who makes it? It sounds as if you have
    > >>
    > >> Chris
    > >>
    > >> "Devin" wrote in message

    > >file

    > be
    > >> read

    data,
    > >> please

  6. Re: error after performing majority of backup successfully

    Chris - thanks for all your help. Looks as though I've got things sorted
    out. The use of some new media has made all the difference in the world.

    Devin

+ Reply to Thread