Error: Bad Data - Veritas

This is a discussion on Error: Bad Data - Veritas ; Continue to recieve the following error message when performing a local or network backup. Have searched the Knowledge Base for relavent articles to no avail. Any help would be appreciated. Error: The device reported an error on a request to ...

  1. Error: Bad Data

    Continue to recieve the following error message when performing a local or
    network backup. Have searched the Knowledge Base for relavent articles to
    no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

    Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
    Error reported: Bad data.

  2. Re: Error: Bad Data

    Okay, lets start with the basics:
    What version are you using?
    What drive are you using?
    What os are you using?

    Chris

    "Devin" wrote in message

    > Continue to recieve the following error message when performing a local or
    > network backup. Have searched the Knowledge Base for relavent articles to
    > no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
    >
    > Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
    > Error reported: Bad data.

  3. Re: Error: Bad Data

    excellent...
    - Backup Exec version 4.62
    - Seagate STT20000A IDE 12GB tape drive
    - W2K Pro, SP3, IE6

    - have tested the tape drive and media using Seagates diagnostic tools, all
    seem to pass without problems.

    any further assistance would be appreciated.

    Devin

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Okay, lets start with the basics:
    >What version are you using?
    >What drive are you using?
    >What os are you using?
    >
    >Chris
    >
    >"Devin" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Continue to recieve the following error message when performing a local

    or
    >> network backup. Have searched the Knowledge Base for relavent articles

    >> no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to media.
    >> Error reported: Bad data.

  4. Re: Error: Bad Data

    okay, so far so good,
    is there an error code that follows that bad data error message? Maybe one
    that has the following format?
    ## - ## - ## - ## - ####

    What else is on the IDE chain with the tape drive? Is it set to master,
    slave, or Cable select?

    Chris

    "Devin" wrote in message

    > excellent...
    > - Backup Exec version 4.62
    > - Seagate STT20000A IDE 12GB tape drive
    > - W2K Pro, SP3, IE6
    >
    > - have tested the tape drive and media using Seagates diagnostic tools,

    all
    > seem to pass without problems.
    >
    > any further assistance would be appreciated.
    >
    > Devin
    >

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > >Okay, lets start with the basics:
    > >What version are you using?
    > >What drive are you using?
    > >What os are you using?
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >
    > >"Devin" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Continue to recieve the following error message when performing a local

    > or
    > >> network backup. Have searched the Knowledge Base for relavent articles

    > >> no avail. Any help would be appreciated.
    > >>
    > >> Error: The device reported an error on a request to write data to

    media.
    > >> Error reported: Bad data.

  5. Re: Error: Bad Data

    I will have to check the daisy chain idea to be sure, but I believe its daisied
    to the CD-ROM. The Tape drive is probably the secondary master and the CD
    is the secondary slave. The hard drive would be the only device on the primary
    as the master.
    What do you suggest the optimal comfiguration should be?

    The error code it generates is: 08-13-23-11-0300

    "Chris" wrote:
    >okay, so far so good,
    >is there an error code that follows that bad data error message? Maybe one
    >that has the following format?
    >## - ## - ## - ## - ####
    >
    >What else is on the IDE chain with the tape drive? Is it set to master,
    >slave, or Cable select?
    >
    >Chris
    >
    >"Devin" wrote in message
    >>
    >> excellent...
    >> - Backup Exec version 4.62
    >> - Seagate STT20000A IDE 12GB tape drive
    >> - W2K Pro, SP3, IE6
    >>
    >> - have tested the tape drive and media using Seagates diagnostic tools,

    >all
    >> seem to pass without problems.
    >>
    >> any further assistance would be appreciated.
    >>
    >> Devin
    >>

    >> "Chris" wrote:
    >> >Okay, lets start with the basics:
    >> >What version are you using?
    >> >What drive are you using?
    >> >What os are you using?
    >> >
    >> >Chris
    >> >
    >> >"Devin" wrote in message

    >> or

    >media.

  6. Re: Error: Bad Data

    Hi

    I've been getting the same sort of thing for the past several months.

    Backup Exec v6.11,
    two Exabyte 8505ST drives daisy chained externally
    WinNT 4.0 server, SP6
    tried new tapes (multiple ones)
    swapped SCSI cable between drives (have yet to swap cable between computer
    and first tape) - may be an issue?
    dropped in a backup Exabyte drive.

    No error number reported - just the following. Seems to be random, two to
    three times a week.

    Storage device "EXABYTE 1" reported an error on a request to write data to
    media.

    Error reported:
    Bad data.

    "Devin" wrote:

    >I will have to check the daisy chain idea to be sure, but I believe its

    daisied
    >to the CD-ROM. The Tape drive is probably the secondary master and the

    CD
    >is the secondary slave. The hard drive would be the only device on the

    primary
    >as the master.
    >What do you suggest the optimal comfiguration should be?
    >
    >The error code it generates is: 08-13-23-11-0300
    >

    >"Chris" wrote:
    >>okay, so far so good,
    >>is there an error code that follows that bad data error message? Maybe

    one
    >>that has the following format?
    >>## - ## - ## - ## - ####
    >>
    >>What else is on the IDE chain with the tape drive? Is it set to master,
    >>slave, or Cable select?
    >>
    >>Chris
    >>
    >>"Devin" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> excellent...
    >>> - Backup Exec version 4.62
    >>> - Seagate STT20000A IDE 12GB tape drive
    >>> - W2K Pro, SP3, IE6
    >>>
    >>> - have tested the tape drive and media using Seagates diagnostic tools,

    >>all
    >>> seem to pass without problems.
    >>>
    >>> any further assistance would be appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Devin

    local
    >>> or

    >>media.

  7. Re: Error: Bad Data

    sorry, wrong newsgroup. You need to ask in the server groups.

    Chris

    "John Davies" wrote in message

    > Hi
    >
    > I've been getting the same sort of thing for the past several months.
    >
    > Backup Exec v6.11,
    > two Exabyte 8505ST drives daisy chained externally
    > WinNT 4.0 server, SP6
    > tried new tapes (multiple ones)
    > swapped SCSI cable between drives (have yet to swap cable between computer
    > and first tape) - may be an issue?
    > dropped in a backup Exabyte drive.
    >
    > No error number reported - just the following. Seems to be random, two to
    > three times a week.
    >
    > Storage device "EXABYTE 1" reported an error on a request to write data to
    > media.
    >
    > Error reported:
    > Bad data.
    >
    > "Devin" wrote:
    > >
    > >I will have to check the daisy chain idea to be sure, but I believe its

    > daisied
    > >to the CD-ROM. The Tape drive is probably the secondary master and the

    > CD
    > >is the secondary slave. The hard drive would be the only device on the

    > primary
    > >as the master.
    > >What do you suggest the optimal comfiguration should be?
    > >
    > >The error code it generates is: 08-13-23-11-0300
    > >

    > >"Chris" wrote:
    > >>okay, so far so good,
    > >>is there an error code that follows that bad data error message? Maybe

    > one
    > >>that has the following format?
    > >>## - ## - ## - ## - ####
    > >>
    > >>What else is on the IDE chain with the tape drive? Is it set to master,
    > >>slave, or Cable select?
    > >>
    > >>Chris
    > >>
    > >>"Devin" wrote in message

    tools,