4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network) - Veritas

This is a discussion on 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network) - Veritas ; Very recently our office was sold Backup Exec along with a 20gb tape backup system. our small office runs on win98 and i back up various files on 4 computers over the office network. unfortunately, if one of the computers ...

  1. 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network)

    Very recently our office was sold Backup Exec along with a 20gb
    tape backup system. our small office runs on win98 and i back
    up various files on 4 computers over the office network.
    unfortunately, if one of the computers is off at the time of
    backup, that computer will be removed from the backup list
    and will not be backed up until i re-input the files i'd
    like it to back up on that computer. naturally this is a
    huge pain.

    not long ago i read on this same site that v4.81 would remedy
    this problem. please let me know how i can get my hands on v4.81.

    buying an "upgrade" to resolve a bug in your company's
    software we purchased within the past six months doesn't
    seem like good business. I'd much prefer to simply
    download a patch to fix the problem. please let me know
    my options.

    jonah

  2. Re: 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network)

    Veritas doesn't market Backup Exec any more. Stomp (in North America)
    does. Apparently a free upgrade from 4.61 to 4.81 is available at:

    http://www.stompinc.com/support/downloads.phtml

    "Jonah Pt." wrote:

    >Very recently our office was sold Backup Exec along with a 20gb
    >tape backup system. our small office runs on win98 and i back
    >up various files on 4 computers over the office network.
    >unfortunately, if one of the computers is off at the time of
    >backup, that computer will be removed from the backup list
    >and will not be backed up until i re-input the files i'd
    >like it to back up on that computer. naturally this is a
    >huge pain.
    >
    >not long ago i read on this same site that v4.81 would remedy
    >this problem. please let me know how i can get my hands on v4.81.
    >
    >buying an "upgrade" to resolve a bug in your company's
    >software we purchased within the past six months doesn't
    >seem like good business. I'd much prefer to simply
    >download a patch to fix the problem. please let me know
    >my options.
    >
    >jonah

  3. Re: 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network)

    I tried the upgrade but it apparently won't install on anything except Stomp
    BackupMyPC 4.x. Didn't like my 4.61 Veritas Backup Exec at all.

    --
    John Bissell

    "Colin Sewell" wrote in message
    > Veritas doesn't market Backup Exec any more. Stomp (in North America)
    > does. Apparently a free upgrade from 4.61 to 4.81 is available at:
    >
    > http://www.stompinc.com/support/downloads.phtml
    >

    > "Jonah Pt." wrote:
    >

    > >Very recently our office was sold Backup Exec along with a 20gb
    > >tape backup system. our small office runs on win98 and i back
    > >up various files on 4 computers over the office network.
    > >unfortunately, if one of the computers is off at the time of
    > >backup, that computer will be removed from the backup list
    > >and will not be backed up until i re-input the files i'd
    > >like it to back up on that computer. naturally this is a
    > >huge pain.
    > >
    > >not long ago i read on this same site that v4.81 would remedy
    > >this problem. please let me know how i can get my hands on v4.81.
    > >
    > >buying an "upgrade" to resolve a bug in your company's
    > >software we purchased within the past six months doesn't
    > >seem like good business. I'd much prefer to simply
    > >download a patch to fix the problem. please let me know
    > >my options.
    > >
    > >jonah

  4. Re: 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network)

    From 4.61 update to 4.71 (which will change it from Veritas to Stomp) then
    try the 4.81 upgrade.

    Chris

    "John Bissell" wrote in message
    > I tried the upgrade but it apparently won't install on anything except

    Stomp
    > BackupMyPC 4.x. Didn't like my 4.61 Veritas Backup Exec at all.
    >
    > --
    > John Bissell
    >
    > "Colin Sewell" wrote in message
    > > Veritas doesn't market Backup Exec any more. Stomp (in North America)
    > > does. Apparently a free upgrade from 4.61 to 4.81 is available at:
    > >
    > > http://www.stompinc.com/support/downloads.phtml
    > >

    > > "Jonah Pt." wrote:
    > >

    > > >Very recently our office was sold Backup Exec along with a 20gb
    > > >tape backup system. our small office runs on win98 and i back
    > > >up various files on 4 computers over the office network.
    > > >unfortunately, if one of the computers is off at the time of
    > > >backup, that computer will be removed from the backup list
    > > >and will not be backed up until i re-input the files i'd
    > > >like it to back up on that computer. naturally this is a
    > > >huge pain.
    > > >
    > > >not long ago i read on this same site that v4.81 would remedy
    > > >this problem. please let me know how i can get my hands on v4.81.
    > > >
    > > >buying an "upgrade" to resolve a bug in your company's
    > > >software we purchased within the past six months doesn't
    > > >seem like good business. I'd much prefer to simply
    > > >download a patch to fix the problem. please let me know
    > > >my options.
    > > >
    > > >jonah

  5. Re: 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network)

    one last follow up question. i don't see anywhere that'll let me update to
    4.71 on the stomp site. am i just not seeing it?

    "Chris" wrote:
    >From 4.61 update to 4.71 (which will change it from Veritas to Stomp) then
    >try the 4.81 upgrade.
    >
    >Chris
    >

    >"John Bissell" wrote in message
    >> I tried the upgrade but it apparently won't install on anything except

    >Stomp
    >> BackupMyPC 4.x. Didn't like my 4.61 Veritas Backup Exec at all.
    >>
    >> --
    >> John Bissell
    >>
    >> "Colin Sewell" wrote in message
    >> > Veritas doesn't market Backup Exec any more. Stomp (in North America)
    >> > does. Apparently a free upgrade from 4.61 to 4.81 is available at:
    >> >
    >> > http://www.stompinc.com/support/downloads.phtml

  6. Re: 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network)

    On Mon, 07 Oct 2002 18:06:01 +0000, Jonah Pt Combobulated:

    > one last follow up question. i don't see anywhere that'll let me update to
    > 4.71 on the stomp site. am i just not seeing it?

    Apparently that download has been removed from the Stomp site. There used
    to be a Google cache of it but it's also been removed, likely at the
    request of Stomp.

    > "Chris" wrote:
    >>From 4.61 update to 4.71 (which will change it from Veritas to Stomp) then
    >>try the 4.81 upgrade.
    >>
    >>Chris

    [...]

    --
    Over and Out,
    CRH 8^)>

  7. Re: 4.61 to 4.81 (Backing up over a network)

    Hi
    I do have the same problem with 4.81.
    Is there anyone else having the same problem or is this a setup problem. Any
    box to check somewhere?

    Christer

    "Jonah Pt." wrote in message

    > Very recently our office was sold Backup Exec along with a 20gb
    > tape backup system. our small office runs on win98 and i back
    > up various files on 4 computers over the office network.
    > unfortunately, if one of the computers is off at the time of
    > backup, that computer will be removed from the backup list
    > and will not be backed up until i re-input the files i'd
    > like it to back up on that computer. naturally this is a
    > huge pain.
    >
    > not long ago i read on this same site that v4.81 would remedy
    > this problem. please let me know how i can get my hands on v4.81.
    >
    > buying an "upgrade" to resolve a bug in your company's
    > software we purchased within the past six months doesn't
    > seem like good business. I'd much prefer to simply
    > download a patch to fix the problem. please let me know
    > my options.
    >
    > jonah

+ Reply to Thread