Backup Exec Desktop 4.61 - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backup Exec Desktop 4.61 - Veritas ; I am running Veritas Backup Exec Desktop 4.61 using a Dittomax 10 GB on an IBM TP 770 ED with Windows 98 SE. I have been running this for about a year with no problems. Over the Labor Day weekend, ...

  1. Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    I am running Veritas Backup Exec Desktop 4.61 using a Dittomax 10 GB on an
    IBM TP 770 ED with Windows 98 SE. I have been running this for about a year
    with no problems.

    Over the Labor Day weekend, I tried to run my standard backup procedure (a
    complete system backup of ALL files) which normally takes about 23 hours
    to complete, counting the verification step. I run with the compression
    option set to minimize the amount of time and I can get the entire backup
    on a 10 GB tape; I rotate 4 tapes and backup every 2-3 weeks.

    That is, I have always been able to do so until this backup. This time,
    the system prompted me to load a second tape to complete the backup. Rather
    than do this, I told it to CANCEL. From all outward appearances, the cancel
    went correctly and the program exited smoothly.

    I deleted a number of programs and files I no longer use to get myself back
    to a comfortable size, that is, one I felt would be able to fit on one tape.
    When I launched BE and attempted to use the tape I had been using, I got
    a message that the tape needed to be formatted. I spent the better part
    of the afternoon attempting to get the program to accept the tape, but nothing
    I could do allowed me to use this tape.

    I really doubt there is anything wrong with the tape, so how do I go about
    getting the program to do whatever it is that needs to be done to reuse it?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:43:03 +0000, Lloyd Landers Combobulated:

    [...]

    > I really doubt there is anything wrong with the tape, so how do I go about
    > getting the program to do whatever it is that needs to be done to reuse it?

    There is an incomplete backup on it that has BE confused. Try reformatting
    the tape.

    --
    Over and Out,
    CRH 8^)>

  3. Re: Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    I would LOVE to do so, but there is no option to format a tape that I can
    find; I've looked under TOOLS.

    Want to tell me how to format the tape??? I would REALLY appreciate it.

    "CRH" wrote:
    >On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:43:03 +0000, Lloyd Landers Combobulated:
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >> I really doubt there is anything wrong with the tape, so how do I go about
    >> getting the program to do whatever it is that needs to be done to reuse

    it?

    >There is an incomplete backup on it that has BE confused. Try reformatting
    >the tape.
    >
    >--
    >Over and Out,
    >CRH 8^)>

  4. Re: Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    Have you tried to re-initalize it?

    Chris

    "Lloyd Landers" wrote in message

    > I would LOVE to do so, but there is no option to format a tape that I can
    > find; I've looked under TOOLS.
    >
    > Want to tell me how to format the tape??? I would REALLY appreciate it.
    >

    > "CRH" wrote:
    > >On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:43:03 +0000, Lloyd Landers Combobulated:
    > >
    > >[...]
    > >
    > >> I really doubt there is anything wrong with the tape, so how do I go

    about
    > >> getting the program to do whatever it is that needs to be done to reuse

    > it?
    > >
    > >There is an incomplete backup on it that has BE confused. Try

    reformatting
    > >the tape.
    > >
    > >--
    > >Over and Out,
    > >CRH 8^)>

  5. Re: Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    Yes. When I did, the program began searching for the start of the tape and
    then gave me a message that the tape was not formatted. I'm guessing that
    the end of tape marker got "lost" when I did not allow the backup to proceed
    to a second tape.

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Have you tried to re-initalize it?
    >
    >Chris
    >

    >"Lloyd Landers" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I would LOVE to do so, but there is no option to format a tape that I

    can
    >> find; I've looked under TOOLS.
    >>
    >> Want to tell me how to format the tape??? I would REALLY appreciate

    it.

    >> "CRH" wrote:
    >> >On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:43:03 +0000, Lloyd Landers Combobulated:
    >> >
    >> >[...]

    >about

    >> it?
    >> >
    >> >There is an incomplete backup on it that has BE confused. Try

    >reformatting
    >> >the tape.
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >Over and Out,
    >> >CRH 8^)>

  6. Re: Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    Re-Initialize the tape.

    --
    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;

    > I would LOVE to do so, but there is no option to format a tape that I can
    > find; I've looked under TOOLS.
    >
    > Want to tell me how to format the tape??? I would REALLY appreciate it.
    >

    > "CRH" wrote:
    > >On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:43:03 +0000, Lloyd Landers Combobulated:
    > >
    > >[...]
    > >
    > >> I really doubt there is anything wrong with the tape, so how do I go

    about
    > >> getting the program to do whatever it is that needs to be done to reuse

    > it?
    > >
    > >There is an incomplete backup on it that has BE confused. Try

    reformatting
    > >the tape.
    > >
    > >--
    > >Over and Out,
    > >CRH 8^)>

  7. Re: Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    When I take the "Initialize" option, I get a message telling me to reformat
    the media, but this is something I can't do with Backup Exec since it offers
    no option for formatting a tape.

    Is there some other way to format the tape, some other program perhaps???

    "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    >Re-Initialize the tape.
    >
    >--
    >http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    >including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
    >Product functional/design/specifications
    >"Lloyd Landers" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I would LOVE to do so, but there is no option to format a tape that I

    can
    >> find; I've looked under TOOLS.
    >>
    >> Want to tell me how to format the tape??? I would REALLY appreciate

    it.

    >> "CRH" wrote:
    >> >On Tue, 03 Sep 2002 10:43:03 +0000, Lloyd Landers Combobulated:
    >> >
    >> >[...]

    >about

    >> it?
    >> >
    >> >There is an incomplete backup on it that has BE confused. Try

    >reformatting
    >> >the tape.
    >> >
    >> >--
    >> >Over and Out,
    >> >CRH 8^)>

  8. Re: Backup Exec Desktop 4.61

    Sounds like the tape has gone bad, or the tape drive is dirty.

    If the info on the tape is of significant value, contact www.ontrack.com to
    see what they would charge to evaluate whether the tape is recoverable and
    the cost of recovery.

    --

    > When I take the "Initialize" option, I get a message telling me to

    reformat
    > the media, but this is something I can't do with Backup Exec since it

    offers
    > no option for formatting a tape.
    >
    > Is there some other way to format the tape, some other program perhaps???
    >

    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote:
    > >Re-Initialize the tape.
    > >
    > >--
    > >http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    > >including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing;

    Standards;
    > >Product functional/design/specifications
    > >------------------------------------------------
    > >"Lloyd Landers" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I would LOVE to do so, but there is no option to format a tape that I

    > can
    > >> find; I've looked under TOOLS.
    > >>
    > >> Want to tell me how to format the tape??? I would REALLY appreciate

    > it.

    > >about

    reuse
    > >> it?