Is there such a thing as DAT over ATAPI? - Veritas

This is a discussion on Is there such a thing as DAT over ATAPI? - Veritas ; I apologize if this is not the ideal newsgroup for a hardware question, but I expect that some of you who will see this posting have opinions on this subject. I would prefer to implement a tape drive that uses ...

  1. Is there such a thing as DAT over ATAPI?

    I apologize if this is not the ideal newsgroup for a hardware question, but
    I expect that some of you who will see this posting have opinions on this
    subject.

    I would prefer to implement a tape drive that uses DDS-4/DAT technology,
    rather than Travan. I have looked at Seagate and Hewlett-Packard websites,
    for such DAT drives. It seems they always require a SCSI or LVD link to the
    host computer. Travan, OTOH, accommodates ATAPI.

    As IDE is entirely suitable for the hard drive and CDROM of the host
    computer, I would like to keep SCSI out of the system entirely. Can anyone
    advise of a reliable 40GB DDS/DAT drive that works with the ATAPI interface?

    I have successfully implemented IDE hard drives in combination with SCSI
    tape drives, but I'd rather not do that here, if possible. Those SCSI
    adapters can be expensive. Still, I get more than my share of tape failures
    under Travan. Are not DAT tapes more reliable? I have never had one of the
    latter fail. Hence the incentive to avoid Travan.

    Thanks,
    John

  2. Re: Is there such a thing as DAT over ATAPI?

    AFAIK there are no ATAPI DDS-4/DAT drives available John although I may be
    corrected.

    A quick search on Google turns up mention of DDS-2 drives - an old Seagate
    8GB and this;

    http://www.indigita.com/products/prod_idt-2900.htm
    IMHO DAT tapes can be less reliable than Travan tapes as well as being more
    fragile.

    DAT can be _VERY_ fussy even to the point of a tape that was written to on
    one DDS drive cannot be read by another.
    It is not a case of if it will happen but when...usually at the time you
    need it most...:-(

    Might be an acceptable risk at home but in the workplace it is a different
    matter.

    DLT by contrast seems to be bullet-proof although this is reflected by high
    cost - which is why I use a DDS-4 drive at home :-)

    A lot can depend upon what SCSI HA you use - I have had problems
    (particularly with the Sony SDT10000) on built-in U2W Adaptec controllers
    having to throttle back the data rate to 20MB and disable disconnection,
    synch and wide negotiation which almost defeats the object of buying a DDS-4
    drive - bit like buying a Ferrari and then running it on paraffin!

    The same drive works flawlessly on the Adaptec 29160 - go figure!

    I shudder when I have to support DAT backups in the Enterprise environment -
    not only my opinion but that of many others also...

    No doubt others will drop in and offer an alternative viewpoint - but that
    is my own experience going back years to HP34570 2GB drives on PC Windows
    3.11 (and Amiga) and Jumbo Colorado tape drives under Novell 3.12

    YMMV of course...

    I personally have always wondered why DAT manufacturers such as Sony (with
    their strong music ties) choose to make their drives incompatible with DAT
    Audio tapes - copy protection I guess.

    I mean I can transfer data digitally direct from CD->PC but I don't have the
    luxury of being able to do the same with DAT without using stand-alone audio
    DAT SP/DIF out->PC soundcard SP/DIF in.

    If only I could drop a music DAT directly into the drive and rip audio
    directly to the HDD...

    Regards,
    -=Glyn=-

    "John B" wrote in message news:3d542a34@hronntp01....
    > I apologize if this is not the ideal newsgroup for a hardware question,

    but
    > I expect that some of you who will see this posting have opinions on this
    > subject.
    >
    > I would prefer to implement a tape drive that uses DDS-4/DAT technology,
    > rather than Travan. I have looked at Seagate and Hewlett-Packard

    websites,
    > for such DAT drives. It seems they always require a SCSI or LVD link to

    the
    > host computer. Travan, OTOH, accommodates ATAPI.
    >
    > As IDE is entirely suitable for the hard drive and CDROM of the host
    > computer, I would like to keep SCSI out of the system entirely. Can

    anyone
    > advise of a reliable 40GB DDS/DAT drive that works with the ATAPI

    interface?

    > I have successfully implemented IDE hard drives in combination with SCSI
    > tape drives, but I'd rather not do that here, if possible. Those SCSI
    > adapters can be expensive. Still, I get more than my share of tape

    failures
    > under Travan. Are not DAT tapes more reliable? I have never had one of

    the
    > latter fail. Hence the incentive to avoid Travan.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

+ Reply to Thread