Can Backup MyPC 4.81 access remote computers? - Veritas

This is a discussion on Can Backup MyPC 4.81 access remote computers? - Veritas ; I would like to operate Backup MyPC 4.81 on one Windows XP Pro computer that possesses a Travan 40 GB tape drive. This computer will be the center of a small workgroup. I would like to back up selected folders ...

  1. Can Backup MyPC 4.81 access remote computers?

    I would like to operate Backup MyPC 4.81 on one Windows XP Pro computer that
    possesses a Travan 40 GB tape drive. This computer will be the center of a
    small workgroup. I would like to back up selected folders on two computers
    connected to this central computer, via a small LAN.

    One remote computer will be running under WinXP Pro; the other under Win98.
    Should I be able to back up folders that have been shared on those two
    remote computers?

    I will be careful to keep the Win98 sharenames to 8 chars or less. Are
    there any other tricks/constraints? Is TCP/IP an appropriate protocol? I
    would like to leave NetBEUI out of this.

    Should I be able to restore such folders to the remote computers, in case
    some disaster strikes only a remote computer?

    I realize the importance of permissions, so you need not advise me on that
    subject.

    Thanks,
    John

  2. Re: Can Backup MyPC 4.81 access remote computers?

    yes that backup solution can be done. As long as you can get the computers
    to see each other in Network Neighborhood you will be able to do the backup.

    You might need NetBEUI for the 9x machine to work with the XP machine.

    When it comes to the "Restore" part, you will not be able to do a "Disaster
    Recovery" of the network systems, but you will be able to restore the data
    either locally or back to the network system after it has been brought back
    up. DR on your XP system will operate as normal.

    Chris

    "John B" wrote in message news:3d540a0e$1@hronntp01....
    > I would like to operate Backup MyPC 4.81 on one Windows XP Pro computer

    that
    > possesses a Travan 40 GB tape drive. This computer will be the center of

    > small workgroup. I would like to back up selected folders on two

    computers
    > connected to this central computer, via a small LAN.
    >
    > One remote computer will be running under WinXP Pro; the other under

    Win98.
    > Should I be able to back up folders that have been shared on those two
    > remote computers?
    >
    > I will be careful to keep the Win98 sharenames to 8 chars or less. Are
    > there any other tricks/constraints? Is TCP/IP an appropriate protocol? I
    > would like to leave NetBEUI out of this.
    >
    > Should I be able to restore such folders to the remote computers, in case
    > some disaster strikes only a remote computer?
    >
    > I realize the importance of permissions, so you need not advise me on that
    > subject.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > John

  3. Re: Can Backup MyPC 4.81 access remote computers?

    Wow. Thanks for all your help. This makes matters easier.

    Although I have noticed the "new kid on the block," namely, Yosemite's
    Tapeware, I prefer to stick with the familiar. I have had such excellent
    performance from Backup Exec Desktop Edition, for years. Conversely, I have
    had fits with some other programs.

+ Reply to Thread