Erratic Performance (backup exec + segate +XP) - Veritas

This is a discussion on Erratic Performance (backup exec + segate +XP) - Veritas ; The set-up: I recently installed a Segate 20Gig Travan drive (IDE version - STT20000A) and the software which came with it (Backup Exec Version 4.8 Build SRS100B43a). My operating system is windows XP professional (upgraded from winXP home - required ...

  1. Erratic Performance (backup exec + segate +XP)

    The set-up:

    I recently installed a Segate 20Gig Travan drive (IDE version -
    STT20000A) and the software which came with it (Backup Exec Version 4.8 Build
    SRS100B43a). My operating system is windows XP professional (upgraded from
    winXP home - required because we are running 7 user peer to peer) running
    on a 1.8Gig Pentium 4.

    I back up fully once per week and the new and changed files every
    night. I am not backing up the entire machine but just a shared
    directory which I am accessing through a logical drive maping.

    I have several different tapes (all new) some from Segate and some from Imation.

    The problem:

    To date most of the full backups (presently around 300Meg) have worked successfully.
    The incremental back-ups (uisually around 3 to 5 meg) occasionally work but
    often fail during verify with the following error "An error occurred while
    reading the media. The media cannot be read or contains an unknown media
    format. If the media contains valid data, please verify the device connections
    or try changing the device settings. Stream error (6146 1802).

    I have tried all of the tapes and I have tried using a head cleaning cartridge.
    I have tried the segate test software and I have written 1000meg and read
    back sucessfully.

    For a test I performed 5 consecutive full backups appending onto one tape.
    The first was OK 2285 files. The second only copied 2 files but reported
    OK. The third failed - unable to open network drive (a logical maped drive).
    The fourth correctly copied 2285 files. The fifth only copied 1589 files
    but reported OK.

    Any help, advice, tips or suggestions greatly received - I am confused!

    Lee

    lee.juby@NOenergSPetixAMgroup.com

  2. Re: Erratic Performance (backup exec + segate +XP)

    At what times are you doing these backups? Are any of the files you are
    attempting to backup being used by other users on your network?

    What brand of tapes are you using?
    Are the HD and the tape drive on the same IDE chain?

    And I have to ask my standard question:
    What firmware is on your drive?

    chris

    "Lee Juby" wrote in message

    > The set-up:
    >
    > I recently installed a Segate 20Gig Travan drive (IDE version -
    > STT20000A) and the software which came with it (Backup Exec Version 4.8

    Build
    > SRS100B43a). My operating system is windows XP professional (upgraded from
    > winXP home - required because we are running 7 user peer to peer) running
    > on a 1.8Gig Pentium 4.
    >
    > I back up fully once per week and the new and changed files every
    > night. I am not backing up the entire machine but just a shared
    > directory which I am accessing through a logical drive maping.
    >
    > I have several different tapes (all new) some from Segate and some from

    Imation.

    > The problem:
    >
    > To date most of the full backups (presently around 300Meg) have worked

    successfully.
    > The incremental back-ups (uisually around 3 to 5 meg) occasionally work

    but
    > often fail during verify with the following error "An error occurred while
    > reading the media. The media cannot be read or contains an unknown media
    > format. If the media contains valid data, please verify the device

    connections
    > or try changing the device settings. Stream error (6146 1802).
    >
    > I have tried all of the tapes and I have tried using a head cleaning

    cartridge.
    > I have tried the segate test software and I have written 1000meg and read
    > back sucessfully.
    >
    > For a test I performed 5 consecutive full backups appending onto one tape.
    > The first was OK 2285 files. The second only copied 2 files but reported
    > OK. The third failed - unable to open network drive (a logical maped

    drive).
    > The fourth correctly copied 2285 files. The fifth only copied 1589 files
    > but reported OK.
    >
    > Any help, advice, tips or suggestions greatly received - I am confused!
    >
    > Lee
    >
    > lee.juby@NOenergSPetixAMgroup.com

+ Reply to Thread