CD-RW Spanning - Veritas

This is a discussion on CD-RW Spanning - Veritas ; Sir I have a Mitsubishi CD-RW 6x4x6 connected via USB and am running Veritas Backup Exe Desktop 4.5 on windows ME. I can not get the programme to recognise it as a backup device. Nor will it span disks, when ...

  1. CD-RW Spanning

    Sir

    I have a Mitsubishi CD-RW 6x4x6 connected via USB and am running Veritas
    Backup Exe Desktop 4.5 on windows ME. I can not get the programme to recognise
    it as a backup device. Nor will it span disks, when I select the drive for
    backup destination.
    Novice.......Ian

  2. Re: CD-RW Spanning

    "Ian Mackenzie" wrote:

    >Sir
    >
    >I have a Mitsubishi CD-RW 6x4x6 connected via USB and am running Veritas
    >Backup Exe Desktop 4.5 on windows ME. I can not get the programme to recognise
    >it as a backup device. Nor will it span disks, when I select the drive for
    >backup destination.
    >Novice.......Ian

    -------
    If your device is not recognized as a backup device, then it may not
    be supported by your version of Backup Exec. Perhaps an upgrade would
    solve your problem. Then again, you say you may select it as a backup
    disk and backup to a file on it. This means you have packet writing
    software installed and that may be interfering with Backup Exec's
    ability to see it as a backup device. Spanning support is not
    available when backing up to a file.

    Tech support page and device support list for latest version (Now
    Stomp Backup MyPC):

    http://www.stompinc.com/support/bump.phtml?stp

    Free upgrade to 4.6.1:

    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: CD-RW Spanning

    Colin Sewell wrote:
    >"Ian Mackenzie" wrote:
    >

    >>Sir
    >>
    >>I have a Mitsubishi CD-RW 6x4x6 connected via USB and am running Veritas
    >>Backup Exe Desktop 4.5 on windows ME. I can not get the programme to recognise
    >>it as a backup device. Nor will it span disks, when I select the drive

    for
    >>backup destination.
    >>Novice.......Ian

    >-------
    >If your device is not recognized as a backup device, then it may not
    >be supported by your version of Backup Exec. Perhaps an upgrade would
    >solve your problem. Then again, you say you may select it as a backup
    >disk and backup to a file on it. This means you have packet writing
    >software installed and that may be interfering with Backup Exec's
    >ability to see it as a backup device. Spanning support is not
    >available when backing up to a file.
    >
    >Tech support page and device support list for latest version (Now
    >Stomp Backup MyPC):
    >
    >http://www.stompinc.com/support/bump.phtml?stp
    >
    >Free upgrade to 4.6.1:
    >
    >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239467.htm
    >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    >Vancouver, BC

    Collin

    Thankyou for taking the time to post assistence to me. I will follow your
    advice also I will remove the segate backup supplied on the ME install disk
    and reinstall Backupexec.

    Many thanks

    Ian

    PS I will keep you posted on results

  4. Re: CD-RW Spanning

    First thing you should do is install a version of backup greater than 4.6.
    Any version over 4.6 will attempt to see every writable device on the
    system. It may not be on the support page, but it will allow you to at least
    give it a shot.

    Chris

    "Ian Mackenzie" wrote in message

    > Colin Sewell wrote:
    > >"Ian Mackenzie" wrote:
    > >

    > >>Sir
    > >>
    > >>I have a Mitsubishi CD-RW 6x4x6 connected via USB and am running Veritas
    > >>Backup Exe Desktop 4.5 on windows ME. I can not get the programme to

    recognise
    > >>it as a backup device. Nor will it span disks, when I select the drive

    > for
    > >>backup destination.
    > >>Novice.......Ian

    > >-------
    > >If your device is not recognized as a backup device, then it may not
    > >be supported by your version of Backup Exec. Perhaps an upgrade would
    > >solve your problem. Then again, you say you may select it as a backup
    > >disk and backup to a file on it. This means you have packet writing
    > >software installed and that may be interfering with Backup Exec's
    > >ability to see it as a backup device. Spanning support is not
    > >available when backing up to a file.
    > >
    > >Tech support page and device support list for latest version (Now
    > >Stomp Backup MyPC):
    > >
    > >http://www.stompinc.com/support/bump.phtml?stp
    > >
    > >Free upgrade to 4.6.1:
    > >
    > >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239467.htm
    > >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > >Vancouver, BC

    > Collin
    >
    > Thankyou for taking the time to post assistence to me. I will follow your
    > advice also I will remove the segate backup supplied on the ME install

    disk
    > and reinstall Backupexec.
    >
    > Many thanks
    >
    > Ian
    >
    > PS I will keep you posted on results

  5. 'IT WORKS EUREKA'!!!!!!

    "Chris" wrote:
    >First thing you should do is install a version of backup greater than 4.6.
    >Any version over 4.6 will attempt to see every writable device on the
    >system. It may not be on the support page, but it will allow you to at least
    >give it a shot.
    >
    >Chris
    >
    >"Ian Mackenzie" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Colin Sewell wrote:

    >recognise

    >> for
    >> >-------
    >> >If your device is not recognized as a backup device, then it may not
    >> >be supported by your version of Backup Exec. Perhaps an upgrade would
    >> >solve your problem. Then again, you say you may select it as a backup
    >> >disk and backup to a file on it. This means you have packet writing
    >> >software installed and that may be interfering with Backup Exec's
    >> >ability to see it as a backup device. Spanning support is not
    >> >available when backing up to a file.
    >> >
    >> >Tech support page and device support list for latest version (Now
    >> >Stomp Backup MyPC):
    >> >
    >> >http://www.stompinc.com/support/bump.phtml?stp
    >> >
    >> >Free upgrade to 4.6.1:
    >> >
    >> >http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/239467.htm
    >> >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    >> >Vancouver, BC

    >> Collin
    >>
    >> Thankyou for taking the time to post assistence to me. I will follow your
    >> advice also I will remove the segate backup supplied on the ME install

    >disk
    >> and reinstall Backupexec.
    >>
    >> Many thanks
    >>
    >> Ian
    >>
    >> PS I will keep you posted on results

    Many thanks guys after installing the latest version
    Backup MyPC):

    >> >http://www.stompinc.com/support/bump.phtml?stp
    >> >
    >> >Free upgrade to 4.6.1:

    The programme recognised both my DVD drive and the CD-RW. The only snag was
    my Incd packet writter which I had to uninstall before I did the backup.
    Thankyou Thankyou Ian

+ Reply to Thread