Incremental / Differential - Veritas

This is a discussion on Incremental / Differential - Veritas ; I've just installed Backup MyPC and don't find the incremental / differential backup very satisfactory. Here's an example of the problem: Day 1: I make a full back up of directories "ALPHA", "BRAVO", and "CHARLIE". All contain files. Day 2: ...

  1. Incremental / Differential

    I've just installed Backup MyPC and don't find the incremental / differential
    backup very satisfactory.

    Here's an example of the problem:

    Day 1: I make a full back up of directories "ALPHA", "BRAVO", and "CHARLIE".
    All contain files.

    Day 2: During the day I rename directory "BRAVO" to "DELTA". An incremental
    or differential backup is then performed.

    Day 3: Hard disk crashes. I restore the data using the full then the inremental
    / differential backups.

    What do I have? A directory "ALPHA" and "CHARLIE" with all files as they
    should be. A directory "BRAVO" with all the files from "BRAVO" from day one.
    A directory "DELTA" with nothing in it.

    As you can see, the fact that "BRAVO" became "DELTA" is not known. The situation
    gets worse if you start changing files in "DELTA" (on Day 2 before the backup);
    these files then appear in both "BRAVO" and "DELTA". If this occurs a lot
    on your PC, you will have no idea what belongs where.

    Any ideas?

    Andy

  2. Re: Incremental / Differential

    Backup programs typically don't keep track of deleted/renamed files in the
    way you would like. So if you have to do a full restore you get everything
    that was there to begin with + all new/changed files on the
    incremental/differential backup. No files are deleted.

    Retrospect is the only product I've seen that keeps track of the kinds of
    changes that you made.

    --
    John Bissell

    "Andy" wrote in message news:3d3c5434$1@hronntp01....

    > I've just installed Backup MyPC and don't find the incremental /

    differential
    > backup very satisfactory.
    >
    > Here's an example of the problem:
    >
    > Day 1: I make a full back up of directories "ALPHA", "BRAVO", and

    "CHARLIE".
    > All contain files.
    >
    > Day 2: During the day I rename directory "BRAVO" to "DELTA". An

    incremental
    > or differential backup is then performed.
    >
    > Day 3: Hard disk crashes. I restore the data using the full then the

    inremental
    > / differential backups.
    >
    > What do I have? A directory "ALPHA" and "CHARLIE" with all files as they
    > should be. A directory "BRAVO" with all the files from "BRAVO" from day

    one.
    > A directory "DELTA" with nothing in it.
    >
    > As you can see, the fact that "BRAVO" became "DELTA" is not known. The

    situation
    > gets worse if you start changing files in "DELTA" (on Day 2 before the

    backup);
    > these files then appear in both "BRAVO" and "DELTA". If this occurs a lot
    > on your PC, you will have no idea what belongs where.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Andy

+ Reply to Thread