DOS drivers for USB CD-RW drive - Veritas

This is a discussion on DOS drivers for USB CD-RW drive - Veritas ; I am using Stomp Backup MyPC 4.71 (build STP 100B82A). OS is Windows Me, and the motherboard an SE440BX. Does anyone have any DOS drivers for a USB CD-RW drive? I cannot use disaster recovery without it....

  1. DOS drivers for USB CD-RW drive

    I am using Stomp Backup MyPC 4.71 (build STP 100B82A).

    OS is Windows Me, and the motherboard an SE440BX.

    Does anyone have any DOS drivers for a USB CD-RW drive?
    I cannot use disaster recovery without it.

  2. Re: DOS drivers for USB CD-RW drive

    to my knowledge, there arn't any DOS drivers for USB drives. Some MB will
    support booting from USB, but I've never seen it done.

    Chris

    "Ralph" wrote in message

    > I am using Stomp Backup MyPC 4.71 (build STP 100B82A).
    >
    > OS is Windows Me, and the motherboard an SE440BX.
    >
    > Does anyone have any DOS drivers for a USB CD-RW drive?
    > I cannot use disaster recovery without it.

  3. Re: DOS drivers for USB CD-RW drive

    :-(

    Thanks Chris.

    "Chris" wrote:
    >to my knowledge, there arn't any DOS drivers for USB drives. Some MB will
    >support booting from USB, but I've never seen it done.
    >
    >Chris
    >

    >"Ralph" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am using Stomp Backup MyPC 4.71 (build STP 100B82A).
    >>
    >> OS is Windows Me, and the motherboard an SE440BX.
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any DOS drivers for a USB CD-RW drive?
    >> I cannot use disaster recovery without it.

  4. Re: DOS drivers for USB CD-RW drive

    Hi,

    Just a question, if anyone know... (I'm not needing that method, but
    it's good to know if it's working or not).
    Let's talk about the DR in WinME or WinXP. These systems don't have any
    more trace of DOS.
    Did the DR floppies generated by BUMP 4.81 support USB devices or not ?
    If not, won't it be the time to add that feature to BUMP.
    In fact, it seems that the days of floppies are running short, and some
    new PC are so small that you can't make them evoluate by adding internal
    devices. Solutions ? External devices, so USB, SCSI, FIREWIRE (and
    Parallel, but forget it).
    SCSI are supported by DR floppies from a long time. So why not USB or
    FIREWIRE devices ?
    I think it's not completly silly.

    Your thoughts ?

    --
    Roland Pisano, RPisano@wanadoo.fr
    Bibliophilie, informatique, jeux video

  5. Re: DOS drivers for USB CD-RW drive

    Roland,

    It's not a silly thought, but you have to realize that USB devices require
    that you have all of the drivers needed for that device and a few registry
    entrys. It would be a huge effort for a company to take the time to get
    every USB device and map out the drivers needed to "grab" for the user and
    put them onto a disk. The DR floppies do not support USB devices at this
    time because of the non-standard drivers that drive vendors use. XP has
    provided some inprovement in standardizing the USB drivers, but there are
    still too many "rogue" companies.

    BUMP has recently started making it's CDs bootable which will get rid of the
    need for floppies. To boot off a device which doesn't isn't yet seen by the
    computer (no drivers) is impossible.

    There are ways around this...
    If a user were to just install the OS, then install the drivers for the USB
    device. You could then do a full restore, which will overwrite everyfile
    (after you reboot) and then you'd be back to you original setup. Since this
    isn't really DR, they can't really classify it as such.

    Chris

    "Roland Pisano" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Just a question, if anyone know... (I'm not needing that method, but
    > it's good to know if it's working or not).
    > Let's talk about the DR in WinME or WinXP. These systems don't have any
    > more trace of DOS.
    > Did the DR floppies generated by BUMP 4.81 support USB devices or not ?
    > If not, won't it be the time to add that feature to BUMP.
    > In fact, it seems that the days of floppies are running short, and some
    > new PC are so small that you can't make them evoluate by adding internal
    > devices. Solutions ? External devices, so USB, SCSI, FIREWIRE (and
    > Parallel, but forget it).
    > SCSI are supported by DR floppies from a long time. So why not USB or
    > FIREWIRE devices ?
    > I think it's not completly silly.
    >
    > Your thoughts ?
    >

    > --