Backing up using disk image and BE - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backing up using disk image and BE - Veritas ; Veritas Backup Exec V 4.2.1 Sorry, I posted this a while back and wasn't able to get back to see if there'd been a reply. I take full backups about every three months by using Norton Ghost as it's ideal ...

  1. Backing up using disk image and BE

    Veritas Backup Exec V 4.2.1

    Sorry, I posted this a while back and wasn't able to get back to see if
    there'd been a reply.

    I take full backups about every three months by using Norton Ghost as it's
    ideal for this type of backup. However, disk imaging doesn't reset the
    archive bits of all files, so I reset these in DOS immediately after taking
    the image.

    I then use BE to do weekly differential backups and it seems to work fine.
    The problem is I don't fully understand how BE distinguishes between files
    for differential and incremental backups without a record of an initial full
    backup.

    I am worried that there may be inherent dangers with this system. Any
    comments or advice?

    J.

  2. Re: Backing up using disk image and BE

    "Jonathan Finney" wrote:

    >Veritas Backup Exec V 4.2.1
    >
    >Sorry, I posted this a while back and wasn't able to get back to see if
    >there'd been a reply.
    >
    >I take full backups about every three months by using Norton Ghost as it's
    >ideal for this type of backup. However, disk imaging doesn't reset the
    >archive bits of all files, so I reset these in DOS immediately after taking
    >the image.
    >
    >I then use BE to do weekly differential backups and it seems to work fine.
    >The problem is I don't fully understand how BE distinguishes between files
    >for differential and incremental backups without a record of an initial full
    >backup.
    >
    >I am worried that there may be inherent dangers with this system. Any
    >comments or advice?

    The files for incremental and differential backups are selected in the
    same way: If the archive bit is set, the file will be backed up. The
    difference lies in what Backup Exec dies afterward, once the file has
    been backed up. For incremental backups, the archive bit is cleared.
    For differential backups, the archive bit is not cleared. Therefore
    successive differential backups will keep backing up the same files
    and more.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: Backing up using disk image and BE

    So as long as I reset all the archive bits after taking a full backup (disk
    image using Norton Ghost), the incremental and differential backup sets will
    be the same as if I were taking them after a full backup with BE, right?

    Obviously, the BE index will have no record of files backed up using Ghost
    which limits the usefullness of the restore function, but this seems a fair
    trade off for the convenience of imaging.

    J.

    Colin Sewell wrote in message
    > "Jonathan Finney" wrote:
    >
    > >Veritas Backup Exec V 4.2.1
    > >
    > >Sorry, I posted this a while back and wasn't able to get back to see if
    > >there'd been a reply.
    > >
    > >I take full backups about every three months by using Norton Ghost as

    it's
    > >ideal for this type of backup. However, disk imaging doesn't reset the
    > >archive bits of all files, so I reset these in DOS immediately after

    taking
    > >the image.
    > >
    > >I then use BE to do weekly differential backups and it seems to work

    fine.
    > >The problem is I don't fully understand how BE distinguishes between

    files
    > >for differential and incremental backups without a record of an initial

    full
    > >backup.
    > >
    > >I am worried that there may be inherent dangers with this system. Any
    > >comments or advice?

    > The files for incremental and differential backups are selected in the
    > same way: If the archive bit is set, the file will be backed up. The
    > difference lies in what Backup Exec dies afterward, once the file has
    > been backed up. For incremental backups, the archive bit is cleared.
    > For differential backups, the archive bit is not cleared. Therefore
    > successive differential backups will keep backing up the same files
    > and more.
    > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > Vancouver, BC

+ Reply to Thread