Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network - Veritas ; Trying to run Backup Exec on a small network; I was recently hired, and they've been running Backup Exec on Microsoft Network for some time. Lately, though, when I try to run a backup, I click on Microsoft Network and ...

  1. Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    Trying to run Backup Exec on a small network; I was recently hired, and they've
    been running Backup Exec on Microsoft Network for some time. Lately, though,
    when I try to run a backup, I click on Microsoft Network and nothing happens;
    I can't access anyone else's drive. Any help?

  2. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    You mean Windows Network Neighborhood, don't you? If you get nothing there,
    the problem is not Backup Exec, but the network is not connected. I have
    clients that use Backup Exec to back up 4 machines on a windows network
    everyday, and it works fine, if the network connections exist.

    Larry Harsh

    "Peter Milan" wrote in message

    > Trying to run Backup Exec on a small network; I was recently hired, and

    they've
    > been running Backup Exec on Microsoft Network for some time. Lately,

    though,
    > when I try to run a backup, I click on Microsoft Network and nothing

    happens;
    > I can't access anyone else's drive. Any help?

  3. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    Here's the situation step by step. I go into Backup Exec. I create a new backup
    job. I click on the All Folders pane. I click on the plus sign next to Networks.
    That reveals Microsoft Network. I click on Microsoft Network. I get an hourglass
    for a second or two, then nothing. The plus sign refuses to open. I right
    click on Microsoft Network and get Select and Deselect, both grayed out.

    We recently changed the Workgroup on Client for Microsoft Network. Do I need
    to make a change in Backup Exec? Thanks in advance.

    "Larry Harsh" wrote:
    >You mean Windows Network Neighborhood, don't you? If you get nothing there,
    >the problem is not Backup Exec, but the network is not connected. I have
    >clients that use Backup Exec to back up 4 machines on a windows network
    >everyday, and it works fine, if the network connections exist.
    >
    >Larry Harsh
    >
    >"Peter Milan" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Trying to run Backup Exec on a small network; I was recently hired, and

    >they've
    >> been running Backup Exec on Microsoft Network for some time. Lately,

    >though,
    >> when I try to run a backup, I click on Microsoft Network and nothing

    >happens;
    >> I can't access anyone else's drive. Any help?

  4. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    No, but you need to make sure that the computer doing the backup is part of
    the same workgroup.

    Larry
    "Pete" wrote in message news:3cae07f2$1@hronntp01....

    > Here's the situation step by step. I go into Backup Exec. I create a new

    backup
    > job. I click on the All Folders pane. I click on the plus sign next to

    Networks.
    > That reveals Microsoft Network. I click on Microsoft Network. I get an

    hourglass
    > for a second or two, then nothing. The plus sign refuses to open. I right
    > click on Microsoft Network and get Select and Deselect, both grayed out.
    >
    > We recently changed the Workgroup on Client for Microsoft Network. Do I

    need
    > to make a change in Backup Exec? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > "Larry Harsh" wrote:
    > >You mean Windows Network Neighborhood, don't you? If you get nothing

    there,
    > >the problem is not Backup Exec, but the network is not connected. I have
    > >clients that use Backup Exec to back up 4 machines on a windows network
    > >everyday, and it works fine, if the network connections exist.
    > >
    > >Larry Harsh
    > >
    > >"Peter Milan" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Trying to run Backup Exec on a small network; I was recently hired, and

    > >they've
    > >> been running Backup Exec on Microsoft Network for some time. Lately,

    > >though,
    > >> when I try to run a backup, I click on Microsoft Network and nothing

    > >happens;
    > >> I can't access anyone else's drive. Any help?

  5. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    It is, indeed, part of the same workgroup.

    "Larry Harsh" wrote:
    >No, but you need to make sure that the computer doing the backup is part

    of
    >the same workgroup.
    >
    >Larry
    >"Pete" wrote in message news:3cae07f2$1@hronntp01....
    >>
    >> Here's the situation step by step. I go into Backup Exec. I create a new

    >backup
    >> job. I click on the All Folders pane. I click on the plus sign next to

    >Networks.
    >> That reveals Microsoft Network. I click on Microsoft Network. I get an

    >hourglass
    >> for a second or two, then nothing. The plus sign refuses to open. I right
    >> click on Microsoft Network and get Select and Deselect, both grayed out.
    >>
    >> We recently changed the Workgroup on Client for Microsoft Network. Do

    >need
    >> to make a change in Backup Exec? Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> "Larry Harsh" wrote:
    >> >You mean Windows Network Neighborhood, don't you? If you get nothing

    >there,
    >> >the problem is not Backup Exec, but the network is not connected. I

    have
    >> >clients that use Backup Exec to back up 4 machines on a windows network
    >> >everyday, and it works fine, if the network connections exist.
    >> >
    >> >Larry Harsh
    >> >
    >> >"Peter Milan" wrote in message

    and
    >> >they've
    >> >though,
    >> >happens;

  6. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    Hi all,

    I'm maybe having the same problem, but I'm quite sure that
    Network, protocols, authorities, etc... are correctly
    configured, however the result is that each single
    computer is greyed out !! Does anyone of you have news about it ? Thanks.
    Bye.

    "Pete" wrote:

    >It is, indeed, part of the same workgroup.
    >
    >"Larry Harsh" wrote:
    >>No, but you need to make sure that the computer doing the backup is part

    >of
    >>the same workgroup.
    >>
    >>Larry
    >>"Pete" wrote in message news:3cae07f2$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> Here's the situation step by step. I go into Backup Exec. I create a

    new
    >>backup
    >>> job. I click on the All Folders pane. I click on the plus sign next to

    >>Networks.
    >>> That reveals Microsoft Network. I click on Microsoft Network. I get an

    >>hourglass
    >>> for a second or two, then nothing. The plus sign refuses to open. I right
    >>> click on Microsoft Network and get Select and Deselect, both grayed out.
    >>>
    >>> We recently changed the Workgroup on Client for Microsoft Network. Do

    >>need
    >>> to make a change in Backup Exec? Thanks in advance.

    >>there,

    >have

    >and

  7. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    "Pete" wrote:

    >It is, indeed, part of the same workgroup.
    >
    >"Larry Harsh" wrote:
    >>No, but you need to make sure that the computer doing the backup is part

    >of
    >>the same workgroup.
    >>
    >>Larry
    >>"Pete" wrote in message news:3cae07f2$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> Here's the situation step by step. I go into Backup Exec. I create a

    new
    >>backup
    >>> job. I click on the All Folders pane. I click on the plus sign next to

    >>Networks.
    >>> That reveals Microsoft Network. I click on Microsoft Network. I get an

    >>hourglass
    >>> for a second or two, then nothing. The plus sign refuses to open. I right
    >>> click on Microsoft Network and get Select and Deselect, both grayed out.
    >>>
    >>> We recently changed the Workgroup on Client for Microsoft Network. Do

    >>need
    >>> to make a change in Backup Exec? Thanks in advance.

    >>there,

    >have

    >and

  8. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    what version do you have?

    chris

    > new
    > >>backup
    > >>Networks.
    > >>hourglass

    right

    out.

    > >>need

    > >>there,

    > >have

    network

    > >and

    Lately,

    nothing

  9. Re: Backup Exec cannot see Microsoft Network

    You will find that the problem is one of either not logging onto the network
    with the correct permissions to allow the backup, or there are no shares
    present when you are exploring the network. Try checking the shares and
    your username password for the machine you are backingup.

    "Pete" wrote:

    >It is, indeed, part of the same workgroup.
    >
    >"Larry Harsh" wrote:
    >>No, but you need to make sure that the computer doing the backup is part

    >of
    >>the same workgroup.
    >>
    >>Larry
    >>"Pete" wrote in message news:3cae07f2$1@hronntp01....
    >>>
    >>> Here's the situation step by step. I go into Backup Exec. I create a

    new
    >>backup
    >>> job. I click on the All Folders pane. I click on the plus sign next to

    >>Networks.
    >>> That reveals Microsoft Network. I click on Microsoft Network. I get an

    >>hourglass
    >>> for a second or two, then nothing. The plus sign refuses to open. I right
    >>> click on Microsoft Network and get Select and Deselect, both grayed out.
    >>>
    >>> We recently changed the Workgroup on Client for Microsoft Network. Do

    >>need
    >>> to make a change in Backup Exec? Thanks in advance.

    >>there,

    >have

    >and

+ Reply to Thread