Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs - Veritas ; I hope someone can make a suggestion. Running Backup Exec 4.2 on NT with enough horsepower, and using HP8200 to back up my local net. Backup runs alright up to a particular file whereupon BE locks up and can only ...

  1. Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs

    I hope someone can make a suggestion. Running Backup Exec 4.2
    on NT with enough horsepower, and using HP8200 to back up my local
    net. Backup runs alright up to a particular file whereupon BE locks
    up and can only be touched by ending it in the Task Manager Processes
    ( not in Applications ). After that, BE cannot be restarted without
    rebooting. Any ideas?
    --

    Regards
    Tom

  2. Re: Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs

    In case anyone is interested, I have overcome the hang. I did two things, and don't know
    which solved the problem. I moved the directory where the apparent problem file was to a
    different location in the partition, and I found that shortly after the problem file, the
    cache directory for Wingate2 had some 17000 files with 73.9MB of data. So I purged the
    file. After doing these two things, BE ran just fine. Is BE daunted by very large
    directories, the inquiring mind asks?

    --

    Regards
    Tom

  3. Re: Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs

    Tom Arnold wrote:

    >In case anyone is interested, I have overcome the hang. I did two things, and don't know
    >which solved the problem. I moved the directory where the apparent problem file was to a
    >different location in the partition, and I found that shortly after the problem file, the
    >cache directory for Wingate2 had some 17000 files with 73.9MB of data. So I purged the
    >file. After doing these two things, BE ran just fine. Is BE daunted by very large
    >directories, the inquiring mind asks?

    ------
    You've nailed it. Folders with thousands of files in them cause BE to
    slow to a crawl. It's not hung; if you wait a couple of hours, until
    it gets past the huge folder, it will pick up again.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  4. Re: Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs

    How does overnight with no result sound? Slows down My Power Desk and Windows Explorer
    too, but not so much. Thanks for the confirmation.

    Colin Sewell wrote:
    > You've nailed it. Folders with thousands of files in them cause BE to
    > slow to a crawl. It's not hung; if you wait a couple of hours, until
    > it gets past the huge folder, it will pick up again.

    --

    Regards
    Tom

  5. Re: Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs

    Would those files happen to be in the Outlook EXpress directory or in
    Temporary Internet files?

    I find that BE hangs on those foe a long time.

    Workaround is to:

    1. Disconnect from internet.
    2. Compact all folders in Outlook Express
    3. Delete files in IE using IE's Options menu.
    4. I also clear IE's History.

    Those files are likely very fragmented and, I guess, that causes BE grief.
    Also I maxed out RAM at 384MB. This seems to also make a difference.
    Not to mention, my incremental backups are now resulting in a compression
    ration of 2.13:1.
    Perhaps BE does better compression if there's more memory??

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
    Product functional/design/specifications
    "Tom Arnold" wrote in message
    > I hope someone can make a suggestion. Running Backup Exec 4.2
    > on NT with enough horsepower, and using HP8200 to back up my local
    > net. Backup runs alright up to a particular file whereupon BE locks
    > up and can only be touched by ending it in the Task Manager Processes
    > ( not in Applications ). After that, BE cannot be restarted without
    > rebooting. Any ideas?
    > --
    >
    > Regards
    > Tom

  6. Re: Backup Exec 4.2 Hangs

    No. I assiduously avoid IE and Outlook Express as dangerous to my machine. This was a
    cache file for Wingate2 which allows other machines on my net to connect to the internet.
    These files may be as messy as the ones you describe. Thanks for the information.

    --

    Regards
    Tom

+ Reply to Thread