attribute byte not being reset ? - Veritas

This is a discussion on attribute byte not being reset ? - Veritas ; Hi, We are running Full backups once a week and incremental backups the other days of the week. After the full backup is run successfully it appears that the attribute byte is not being reset because when the incremental backup ...

  1. attribute byte not being reset ?

    Hi,
    We are running Full backups once a week and incremental backups the other
    days of the week. After the full backup is run successfully it appears that
    the attribute byte is not being reset because when the incremental backup
    runs the job cancels because it is out of room on the tape. The full backup
    does an overwrite and the incremental does an append. I am guessing that
    the attribute byte may be the problem because when I check for selection
    information undet the veiw option for the incremental backup the byte count
    is almost as much as the full backup. The PC that does the backup has full
    read /write rights. Thank you

  2. Re: attribute byte not being reset ?

    Joe,

    When you are doing your incremental backups, what does the program report as
    the number of bytes being backed up? Is that lower than your full backup?
    How big is your Full backup and what kind of tape are you using (size)?

    Chris

    "Joe Bucar" wrote in message

    > Hi,
    > We are running Full backups once a week and incremental backups the other
    > days of the week. After the full backup is run successfully it appears

    that
    > the attribute byte is not being reset because when the incremental backup
    > runs the job cancels because it is out of room on the tape. The full

    backup
    > does an overwrite and the incremental does an append. I am guessing that
    > the attribute byte may be the problem because when I check for selection
    > information undet the veiw option for the incremental backup the byte

    count
    > is almost as much as the full backup. The PC that does the backup has

    full
    > read /write rights. Thank you

  3. Re: attribute byte not being reset ?

    "Chris" wrote:
    >Joe,
    >
    >When you are doing your incremental backups, what does the program report

    as
    >the number of bytes being backed up? Is that lower than your full backup?
    >How big is your Full backup and what kind of tape are you using (size)?
    >
    >Chris
    >
    >"Joe Bucar" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Hi,
    >> We are running Full backups once a week and incremental backups the other
    >> days of the week. After the full backup is run successfully it appears

    >that
    >> the attribute byte is not being reset because when the incremental backup
    >> runs the job cancels because it is out of room on the tape. The full

    >backup
    >> does an overwrite and the incremental does an append. I am guessing that
    >> the attribute byte may be the problem because when I check for selection
    >> information undet the veiw option for the incremental backup the byte

    >count
    >> is almost as much as the full backup. The PC that does the backup has

    >full
    >> read /write rights. Thank you
    >>

    >Hi,

    Here are the counts full = file = 27522 and byte = 4,459,335,973
    incremental = file = 22641 and byte = 4,149,997,973
    tape = 8GB
    tape drive = HP Colarado 8GB
    Thank you

  4. Re: attribute byte not being reset ?

    okay, that's interesting.
    Now I was hoping you could answer some other questions, some of these you
    may have already considered, but I just want to try and cover all of the
    bases. I don't mean to patronize you in any way, just wanna check. :-) I'm
    just going off of what I have selected, and wanna make sure you have
    something similar.

    Application questions:
    - When you open the backup application, select the Full backup (the once a
    week job) and then hit the options button. Under the "Type" tab, do you
    have:
    a.) "All selected files" selected?
    b.) "Full Backup" selected?
    - Have you looked at the reports and seen if they list anything "out of the
    ordinary"?

    OS/System questions:
    - What OS are you doing the backup on?
    - If you're using NT4, 2000, or XP, are you (or the program) logged on as an
    Admin or a Backup Operator?
    - Is it on a local HD or is it on a mapped drive on another system?

    Chris

    "Joe Bucar" wrote in message

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > >Joe,
    > >
    > >When you are doing your incremental backups, what does the program report

    > as
    > >the number of bytes being backed up? Is that lower than your full backup?
    > >How big is your Full backup and what kind of tape are you using (size)?
    > >
    > >Chris
    > >
    > >"Joe Bucar" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> Hi,
    > >> We are running Full backups once a week and incremental backups the

    other
    > >> days of the week. After the full backup is run successfully it appears

    > >that
    > >> the attribute byte is not being reset because when the incremental

    backup
    > >> runs the job cancels because it is out of room on the tape. The full

    > >backup
    > >> does an overwrite and the incremental does an append. I am guessing

    that
    > >> the attribute byte may be the problem because when I check for

    selection
    > >> information undet the veiw option for the incremental backup the byte

    > >count
    > >> is almost as much as the full backup. The PC that does the backup has

    > >full
    > >> read /write rights. Thank you
    > >>

    > >Hi,

    > Here are the counts full = file = 27522 and byte = 4,459,335,973
    > incremental = file = 22641 and byte = 4,149,997,973
    > tape = 8GB
    > tape drive = HP Colarado 8GB
    > Thank you

  5. Re: attribute byte not being reset ?

    Hello,
    The all selected files is checked in the type tab.
    I do not have anything in the tabs that indicates "Full Backup".
    The operating system is Windows 98.
    It is a mapped drive.
    Here is an example of the output. I get several "busy" errors on the backup
    and several "was inaccessible during the backup" during the compare but nothing
    out of the ordinary.

    Job Name: Full

    Backup Job Started - 1/30/02 10:30:20PM
    Error: \\SERVER\C\ToPassSrv.Dat - busy
    Processed File Count: 27,324
    Total Bytes After Compression: 2,441,562,679
    Total Bytes Before Compression: 4,268,263,849
    Operation Completed - Yes
    Backup Job Ended - 1/31/02 12:58:42AM
    Compare Job Started - 1/31/02 12:58:58AM
    Warning: \\SERVER\C\ToPassSrv.Dat was inaccessible during the backup.
    It cannot be restored or compared.
    Processed File Count: 27,324
    Total Bytes Before Compression: 4,268,263,849
    Operation Completed - Yes
    Compare Job Ended - 1/31/02 2:57:33AM
    Here is the example of the output of the changed output.

    Job Name: Changed
    Backup Job Started - 1/31/02 11:00:20PM
    Error: \\SERVER\C\ToPassSrv.Dat - busy
    Unattended Action: Default response 'Cancel' selected at: This media is
    part of the current backup and cannot be overwritten. Please insert another
    media to continue.
    Operation Completed - No(1)
    Backup Job Ended - 2/1/02 9:57:41AM

    I just noticed the end time of this backup and it appears that it ran about
    11 hours but the user did not do any replies. On the other days the "changed"
    runs the job goes about 20 seconds and gives the "Error: Unable to append
    backup set to full media."

    Thank you

    "Chris" wrote:
    >okay, that's interesting.
    >Now I was hoping you could answer some other questions, some of these you
    >may have already considered, but I just want to try and cover all of the
    >bases. I don't mean to patronize you in any way, just wanna check. :-) I'm
    >just going off of what I have selected, and wanna make sure you have
    >something similar.
    >
    >Application questions:
    >- When you open the backup application, select the Full backup (the once

    >week job) and then hit the options button. Under the "Type" tab, do you
    >have:
    > a.) "All selected files" selected?
    > b.) "Full Backup" selected?
    >- Have you looked at the reports and seen if they list anything "out of

    the
    >ordinary"?
    >
    >OS/System questions:
    >- What OS are you doing the backup on?
    >- If you're using NT4, 2000, or XP, are you (or the program) logged on as

    an
    >Admin or a Backup Operator?
    >- Is it on a local HD or is it on a mapped drive on another system?
    >

    >Chris
    >

    >"Joe Bucar" wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Chris" wrote:
    >> >Joe,
    >> >
    >> >When you are doing your incremental backups, what does the program report

    >> as
    >> >the number of bytes being backed up? Is that lower than your full backup?
    >> >How big is your Full backup and what kind of tape are you using (size)?
    >> >
    >> >Chris
    >> >
    >> >"Joe Bucar" wrote in message

    >other
    >> >that

    >backup
    >> >backup

    >that

    >selection
    >> >count

    has
    >> >full
    >> >>

    >> >Hi,

    >> Here are the counts full = file = 27522 and byte = 4,459,335,973
    >> incremental = file = 22641 and byte = 4,149,997,973
    >> tape = 8GB
    >> tape drive = HP Colarado 8GB
    >> Thank you

  6. Re: attribute byte not being reset ?

    The full backup option should be under the tabs that you'll get after you
    hit the options button.

    Since the data you're backing up is on a network drive, does the computer
    that is doing the backup of the share have write permisions to the harddrive
    of the other computer? (I think this my be where your problem is!) Double
    check this on the computer that is being backed up (if it's 98) I'll be
    under the sharing tab of the disk properties.

    Is the OS of the comptuer doing the backup Windows 98, or is Windows 98 the
    OS of the computer that's being backed up? What is the other OS, or are they
    both 98?

    Chris

    "Joe Bucar" wrote in message

> [...]

    > >- If you're using NT4, 2000, or XP, are you (or the program) logged on as

    > an
    > >Admin or a Backup Operator?
    > >- Is it on a local HD or is it on a mapped drive on another system?
    > >

    > >Chris
    > >

    > >"Joe Bucar" wrote in message

    report
    > >> as

    backup?

    (size)?

    > >other

    appears

    > >backup

    full

    > >that

    > >selection

    byte

    > has

    > >> Here are the counts full = file = 27522 and byte = 4,459,335,973
    > >> incremental = file = 22641 and byte = 4,149,997,973

  7. Re: attribute byte not being reset ?

    There was (and maybe still is) a bug when backing up a network drive with
    the archive bit not being set properly.
    Dunno if it ever got fixed.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/; Programming and support for Word macros,
    including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical reviewing; Standards;
    Product functional/design/specifications
    "Chris" wrote in message news:3c6b079f$1@hronntp01....
> [...]

    > > >something similar.
    > > >
    > > >Application questions:
    > > >- When you open the backup application, select the Full backup (the

    once
    > > >week job) and then hit the options button. Under the "Type" tab, do you
    > > >have:
    > > > a.) "All selected files" selected?
    > > > b.) "Full Backup" selected?
    > > >- Have you looked at the reports and seen if they list anything "out of

    > > the
    > > >ordinary"?
    > > >
    > > >OS/System questions:
    > > >- What OS are you doing the backup on?
    > > >- If you're using NT4, 2000, or XP, are you (or the program) logged on

    as
    > > an
    > > >Admin or a Backup Operator?
    > > >- Is it on a local HD or is it on a mapped drive on another system?

  8. Re: attribute byte not being reset ?

    Chris wrote:
> [...]

    > I'm
    >
    >>>just going off of what I have selected, and wanna make sure you have
    >>>something similar.
    >>>
    >>>Application questions:
    >>>- When you open the backup application, select the Full backup (the once

    >>>week job) and then hit the options button. Under the "Type" tab, do you
    >>>have:
    >>> a.) "All selected files" selected?
    >>> b.) "Full Backup" selected?
    >>>- Have you looked at the reports and seen if they list anything "out of

    >>the
    >>
    >>>ordinary"?
    >>>
    >>>OS/System questions:
    >>>- What OS are you doing the backup on?
    >>>- If you're using NT4, 2000, or XP, are you (or the program) logged on as

    >>an
    >>
    >>>Admin or a Backup Operator?
    >>>- Is it on a local HD or is it on a mapped drive on another system?

+ Reply to Thread