Compression? - Veritas

This is a discussion on Compression? - Veritas ; Hi, I'm using BE Desktop 4.5 under Win98 with an Iomega 3200 floppy tape drive and Travan (Imation) TR-3 tapes. With the Iomega (Ditto) software, I'm getting an average 2.1:1 compression ratio, but with BE, I getting a maximum 1.1:1 ...

  1. Compression?

    Hi, I'm using BE Desktop 4.5 under Win98 with an Iomega 3200 floppy tape
    drive and Travan (Imation) TR-3 tapes. With the Iomega (Ditto) software,
    I'm getting an average 2.1:1 compression ratio, but with BE, I getting a
    maximum 1.1:1 compression. Any ideas on why? It works great for me, as
    it also does CD-RW, even if they've been formatted with Direct CD. It
    just re-formats them and it works fine. Thankyou

  2. Re: Compression?

    Each software likely uses different compression algorithms.
    Some files compress better than others.
    Indeed, compression can increase the size of a file.

    I typically get 1.43:1 to tape, but got a bit over 2:1 the other day.
    Depends on the files being backed up, as well as the compression algorithms
    used.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical
    reviewing; Standards; Product functional/design/specifications
    "James G" wrote in message
    > Hi, I'm using BE Desktop 4.5 under Win98 with an Iomega 3200 floppy tape
    > drive and Travan (Imation) TR-3 tapes. With the Iomega (Ditto) software,
    > I'm getting an average 2.1:1 compression ratio, but with BE, I getting a
    > maximum 1.1:1 compression. Any ideas on why? It works great for me, as
    > it also does CD-RW, even if they've been formatted with Direct CD. It
    > just re-formats them and it works fine. Thankyou

+ Reply to Thread