BE Desktop 4.5 hangs on load, 4.6 never loads - Veritas

This is a discussion on BE Desktop 4.5 hangs on load, 4.6 never loads - Veritas ; Hi, Running Backup Exec Desktop on a Windows 2000 SP2 machine (Compaq Presario). Have been backing up to an internal Iomega Zip 100 for awhile (at least 6 months). The program started hanging a couple of weeks ago when the ...

  1. BE Desktop 4.5 hangs on load, 4.6 never loads

    Hi,

    Running Backup Exec Desktop on a Windows 2000 SP2 machine
    (Compaq Presario). Have been backing up to an internal Iomega
    Zip 100 for awhile (at least 6 months). The program started hanging
    a couple of weeks ago when the end user tried to perform a backup.
    The splash screen would come up and then the program goes into
    a "Not Responding" type of loop, which seems to be either a driver
    or file corruption issue.

    Here is the troubleshooting I have tried:

    Reinstalled version 4.5 several times, both over the existing installation
    and also after manually removing the previous installation completely.

    Ran a checkdisk and did find some file corruption after the first
    reinstallation. Let the OS fix that and moved on.

    Looked through various knowledge base articles. In some it seems
    to indicate that the software should not be working with the zip drive
    to begin with.

    I downloaded the version 4.6.1 technical support release and tried that.
    After installation and rebooting, nothing happens when trying to start
    the application. Get an hourglass for about 10-20 seconds and then
    nothing. Inspection of the task manager shows bewin loaded into
    a memory process, but there is no GUI at all on the screen.

    There are no errors in any of the event logs to help troubleshoot this.
    Any ideas?

    Curtis

  2. Re: BE Desktop 4.5 hangs on load, 4.6 never loads

    Curtis,

    Did you also delete the catalogs when you installed/uninstalled. It sounds
    like you may have either a corrupt catalog or a VERY large catalog. If you
    kept the catalog folder, try renaming it and then starting backup. Tell me
    if this helps.

    Chris

    "Curtis Swartzentruber" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Running Backup Exec Desktop on a Windows 2000 SP2 machine
    > (Compaq Presario). Have been backing up to an internal Iomega
    > Zip 100 for awhile (at least 6 months). The program started hanging
    > a couple of weeks ago when the end user tried to perform a backup.
    > The splash screen would come up and then the program goes into
    > a "Not Responding" type of loop, which seems to be either a driver
    > or file corruption issue.
    >
    > Here is the troubleshooting I have tried:
    >
    > Reinstalled version 4.5 several times, both over the existing installation
    > and also after manually removing the previous installation completely.
    >
    > Ran a checkdisk and did find some file corruption after the first
    > reinstallation. Let the OS fix that and moved on.
    >
    > Looked through various knowledge base articles. In some it seems
    > to indicate that the software should not be working with the zip drive
    > to begin with.
    >
    > I downloaded the version 4.6.1 technical support release and tried that.
    > After installation and rebooting, nothing happens when trying to start
    > the application. Get an hourglass for about 10-20 seconds and then
    > nothing. Inspection of the task manager shows bewin loaded into
    > a memory process, but there is no GUI at all on the screen.
    >
    > There are no errors in any of the event logs to help troubleshoot this.
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Curtis

  3. Re: BE Desktop 4.5 hangs on load, 4.6 never loads

    no, i have actually done the complete manual uninstall route, including
    registry and still seeing the same behavior.

    at any rate, the catalog should not be terribly large.

    Windows 2000 is also complaining that system files are being replaced and
    the only thing that could be replacing them is the Veritas install. This is
    not good, if W2K's file protection is kicking in.

    Curtis
    "Chris" wrote in message news:3c34eed9@hronntp01....
    > Curtis,
    >
    > Did you also delete the catalogs when you installed/uninstalled. It sounds
    > like you may have either a corrupt catalog or a VERY large catalog. If you
    > kept the catalog folder, try renaming it and then starting backup. Tell me
    > if this helps.
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > "Curtis Swartzentruber" wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Running Backup Exec Desktop on a Windows 2000 SP2 machine
    > > (Compaq Presario). Have been backing up to an internal Iomega
    > > Zip 100 for awhile (at least 6 months). The program started hanging
    > > a couple of weeks ago when the end user tried to perform a backup.
    > > The splash screen would come up and then the program goes into
    > > a "Not Responding" type of loop, which seems to be either a driver
    > > or file corruption issue.
    > >
    > > Here is the troubleshooting I have tried:
    > >
    > > Reinstalled version 4.5 several times, both over the existing

    installation
    > > and also after manually removing the previous installation completely.
    > >
    > > Ran a checkdisk and did find some file corruption after the first
    > > reinstallation. Let the OS fix that and moved on.
    > >
    > > Looked through various knowledge base articles. In some it seems
    > > to indicate that the software should not be working with the zip drive
    > > to begin with.
    > >
    > > I downloaded the version 4.6.1 technical support release and tried that.
    > > After installation and rebooting, nothing happens when trying to start
    > > the application. Get an hourglass for about 10-20 seconds and then
    > > nothing. Inspection of the task manager shows bewin loaded into
    > > a memory process, but there is no GUI at all on the screen.
    > >
    > > There are no errors in any of the event logs to help troubleshoot this.
    > > Any ideas?
    > >
    > > Curtis

+ Reply to Thread