Restoring from back-level files - Veritas

This is a discussion on Restoring from back-level files - Veritas ; I'm using Backup Exec Desktop 4.5. I have two computers in a peer-to-peer network. Backup runs on one and writes the backup files to the other in the folder F:\BACKUP. I do a full backup on Monday to the file ...

  1. Restoring from back-level files

    I'm using Backup Exec Desktop 4.5.

    I have two computers in a peer-to-peer network. Backup runs on one and writes
    the backup files to the other in the folder F:\BACKUP.

    I do a full backup on Monday to the file FULL.QIC. The rest of the week I
    do differentials to the file DIFF.QIC. At the end of a week, I create a subfolder
    such as: F:/BACKUP/DECEMBER_24 and move the two files to that subfolder.
    The next time Backup runs, it creates new files in F:\BACKUP.

    My problem is that when I try to restore from one of the older files in a
    subfolder Backup insists on looking for only the latest version.

    I'm following the directions in the Help file: I specify that I want to restore
    from a file then browse to the file I want to restore from. When I start
    the restore, Backup says I have the worng media and insists on looking for
    the most recent file.

    Dick Evans

  2. Re: Restoring from back-level files

    "Richard Evans" wrote:

    >I'm using Backup Exec Desktop 4.5.
    >
    >I have two computers in a peer-to-peer network. Backup runs on one and writes
    >the backup files to the other in the folder F:\BACKUP.
    >
    >I do a full backup on Monday to the file FULL.QIC. The rest of the week I
    >do differentials to the file DIFF.QIC. At the end of a week, I create a subfolder
    >such as: F:/BACKUP/DECEMBER_24 and move the two files to that subfolder.
    >The next time Backup runs, it creates new files in F:\BACKUP.
    >
    >My problem is that when I try to restore from one of the older files in a
    >subfolder Backup insists on looking for only the latest version.
    >
    >I'm following the directions in the Help file: I specify that I want to restore
    >from a file then browse to the file I want to restore from. When I start
    >the restore, Backup says I have the worng media and insists on looking for
    >the most recent file.

    --------
    To restore files, backup exec only looks in the on-disk catalog which
    contains a pointer to the media location. Because you have moved the
    original files, backup exec still thinks they are in the original
    location. If you wan't to restore from the older QIC files in the
    subfolder, you'll have to do a "Device View" from them and rebuild the
    catalogs from them.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: Restoring from back-level files

    Colin Sewell wrote:
    >To restore files, backup exec only looks in the on-disk catalog which
    >contains a pointer to the media location. Because you have moved the
    >original files, backup exec still thinks they are in the original
    >location. If you wan't to restore from the older QIC files in the
    >subfolder, you'll have to do a "Device View" from them and rebuild the
    >catalogs from them.

    That did it! Thank you!

    Dick

+ Reply to Thread