Backup Exec - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backup Exec - Veritas ; I posted a note earlier and have been reading most of the posts here and quite frankly I am somewhat confused. I had an old IOMEGA 3010 Floppy Drive using Seagate Backup Exec 5.5 When I upgraded to Windows XP ...

  1. Backup Exec

    I posted a note earlier and have been reading most of the posts here and quite
    frankly I am somewhat confused. I had an old IOMEGA 3010 Floppy Drive using
    Seagate Backup Exec 5.5 When I upgraded to Windows XP and realized that
    the new OS did not support Floppy Drives, I bought a new IDE Drive which
    came with VERITAS BackupExec 4.5a

    Which version is this? In the support pull downs there are several that look
    like it - Backup Exec Desktop, Pro, Win98, NT and 2000. Can someone say
    with 100% certainly which version this is? Also what about the "free" upgrade
    to version 4.6? WHere do we get that and which version do we pick. I went
    to the FTP site and can't figure out what file to download.

    ALso in the old Seagate version, when I installed the software, it automatically
    detected that I also had a 250MB Zip and a CD-RW drive so it offered those
    devices as choices to backup to in addition to the tape drive itself. WHen
    I installed VERITAS BackupExec it did not give me those same choices. Is
    there something that I need to do differently to get those available?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Backup Exec

    Richard,

    What I found out when I asked this question was that version 4.5a was
    written by VERITAS for Seagate so it is considered an OEM software version.
    What this means is that it will not contain the same functionality as a
    retail version. At this point you are better off going to Stomp & purchasing
    the Upgrade to Backup MyPC 4.71 which is what I did at the following link:
    http://www.stompinc.com/bump/upgrade/bump.phtml?

    Make sure that you check their device support list for your drives or better
    yet download & use the Eval before you buy.
    http://www.stompinc.com/trial/index.html

    Tracy

    "Richard Harding" wrote in message

    > I posted a note earlier and have been reading most of the posts here and

    quite
    > frankly I am somewhat confused. I had an old IOMEGA 3010 Floppy Drive

    using
    > Seagate Backup Exec 5.5 When I upgraded to Windows XP and realized that
    > the new OS did not support Floppy Drives, I bought a new IDE Drive which
    > came with VERITAS BackupExec 4.5a
    >
    > Which version is this? In the support pull downs there are several that

    look
    > like it - Backup Exec Desktop, Pro, Win98, NT and 2000. Can someone say
    > with 100% certainly which version this is? Also what about the "free"

    upgrade
    > to version 4.6? WHere do we get that and which version do we pick. I went
    > to the FTP site and can't figure out what file to download.
    >
    > ALso in the old Seagate version, when I installed the software, it

    automatically
    > detected that I also had a 250MB Zip and a CD-RW drive so it offered those
    > devices as choices to backup to in addition to the tape drive itself. WHen
    > I installed VERITAS BackupExec it did not give me those same choices. Is
    > there something that I need to do differently to get those available?
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Re: Backup Exec

    Someone indicated that Stomp is selling 4.61 and that 4.71 is only available
    as the evaluation copy.
    It was also stated that the beta for 4.71 was unstable.

    Did you get a released 4.71 or a beta?
    Are you using Win 2000?

    I'm trying to call Stomp, but I get busy signals.
    Ditto for Symantec, so Monday is a bad day to call.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical
    reviewing; Standards; Product functional/design/specifications
    "Tracy" wrote in message
    > Richard,
    >
    > What I found out when I asked this question was that version 4.5a was
    > written by VERITAS for Seagate so it is considered an OEM software

    version.
    > What this means is that it will not contain the same functionality as a
    > retail version. At this point you are better off going to Stomp &

    purchasing
    > the Upgrade to Backup MyPC 4.71 which is what I did at the following link:
    > http://www.stompinc.com/bump/upgrade/bump.phtml?
    >
    > Make sure that you check their device support list for your drives or

    better
    > yet download & use the Eval before you buy.
    > http://www.stompinc.com/trial/index.html
    >
    > Tracy
    >
    > "Richard Harding" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I posted a note earlier and have been reading most of the posts here and

    > quite
    > > frankly I am somewhat confused. I had an old IOMEGA 3010 Floppy Drive

    > using
    > > Seagate Backup Exec 5.5 When I upgraded to Windows XP and realized that
    > > the new OS did not support Floppy Drives, I bought a new IDE Drive which
    > > came with VERITAS BackupExec 4.5a
    > >
    > > Which version is this? In the support pull downs there are several that

    > look
    > > like it - Backup Exec Desktop, Pro, Win98, NT and 2000. Can someone say
    > > with 100% certainly which version this is? Also what about the "free"

    > upgrade
    > > to version 4.6? WHere do we get that and which version do we pick. I

    went
    > > to the FTP site and can't figure out what file to download.
    > >
    > > ALso in the old Seagate version, when I installed the software, it

    > automatically
    > > detected that I also had a 250MB Zip and a CD-RW drive so it offered

    those
    > > devices as choices to backup to in addition to the tape drive itself.

    WHen
    > > I installed VERITAS BackupExec it did not give me those same choices. Is
    > > there something that I need to do differently to get those available?
    > >
    > > Thanks

  4. Re: Backup Exec

    Howard,

    I received a released version of 4.71 when I purchased the software.
    I always suggest trying an eval before purchasing since they give you 30
    days to see if it does what you want.
    The 4.5a version was installed on Win2K Pro since it didn't support XP, but
    I've installed the 4.71 on Win2k Pro and XP so far with no problems.

    Tracy
    "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
> [...]

    > > > like it - Backup Exec Desktop, Pro, Win98, NT and 2000. Can someone

    say
    > > > with 100% certainly which version this is? Also what about the "free"

    > > upgrade
    > > > to version 4.6? WHere do we get that and which version do we pick. I

    > went
    > > > to the FTP site and can't figure out what file to download.
    > > >
    > > > ALso in the old Seagate version, when I installed the software, it

    > > automatically
    > > > detected that I also had a 250MB Zip and a CD-RW drive so it offered

    > those
    > > > devices as choices to backup to in addition to the tape drive itself.

    > WHen
    > > > I installed VERITAS BackupExec it did not give me those same choices.

    Is
    > > > there something that I need to do differently to get those available?

  5. Re: Backup Exec

    I do not trust evals as they cannot be identical with the released product.
    And I want the legal recourse associated with a paid for product.

    --

    "Tracy" wrote in message
    > Howard,
    >
    > I received a released version of 4.71 when I purchased the software.
    > I always suggest trying an eval before purchasing since they give you 30
    > days to see if it does what you want.
    > The 4.5a version was installed on Win2K Pro since it didn't support XP,

    but
    > I've installed the 4.71 on Win2k Pro and XP so far with no problems.
    >
    > Tracy
    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > Someone indicated that Stomp is selling 4.61 and that 4.71 is only

    > available
    > > as the evaluation copy.
    > > It was also stated that the beta for 4.71 was unstable.
    > >
    > > Did you get a released 4.71 or a beta?
    > > Are you using Win 2000?
    > >
    > > I'm trying to call Stomp, but I get busy signals.
    > > Ditto for Symantec, so Monday is a bad day to call.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of

    the
    > > message.
    > >
    > > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    > > Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical
    > > reviewing; Standards; Product functional/design/specifications
    > > "Tracy" wrote in message
    > > > Richard,
    > > >
    > > > What I found out when I asked this question was that version 4.5a was
    > > > written by VERITAS for Seagate so it is considered an OEM software

    > > version.
    > > > What this means is that it will not contain the same functionality as

    > > > retail version. At this point you are better off going to Stomp &

    > > purchasing
    > > > the Upgrade to Backup MyPC 4.71 which is what I did at the following

    > link:
    > > > http://www.stompinc.com/bump/upgrade/bump.phtml?
    > > >
    > > > Make sure that you check their device support list for your drives or

    > > better
    > > > yet download & use the Eval before you buy.
    > > > http://www.stompinc.com/trial/index.html
    > > >
    > > > Tracy
    > > >
    > > > "Richard Harding" wrote in message

    > and
    > > > quite

    Drive
    > > > using

    > that

    > which

    > that
    > > > look

    > say

    "free"
    > > > upgrade

    > > went

    > > > automatically

    > > those

    itself.
    > > WHen

    choices.
    > Is

    available?

  6. Re: Backup Exec

    Hi Howard,

    Just a short comment on your statement about "legal recourse". I'm
    attaching a link, which, if you have the time to read through it, will show
    that there is no "legal recourse" for software consumers, unlike almost any
    other product on the market. Today you are totally dependent on the ethical
    behavior of the software companies that you buy from. There are no "legal"
    protections once the package is opened.

    http://www.ucitaonline.com/

    Please also see my post above.

    Best regards,

    Wally

    > I do not trust evals as they cannot be identical with the released

    product.
    > And I want the legal recourse associated with a paid for product.
    >
    > --
    > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    > message.
    >
    > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    > Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical
    > reviewing; Standards; Product functional/design/specifications
    > "Tracy" wrote in message
    > > Howard,
    > >
    > > I received a released version of 4.71 when I purchased the software.
    > > I always suggest trying an eval before purchasing since they give you 30
    > > days to see if it does what you want.
    > > The 4.5a version was installed on Win2K Pro since it didn't support XP,

    > but
    > > I've installed the 4.71 on Win2k Pro and XP so far with no problems.
    > >
    > > Tracy
    > > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > > Someone indicated that Stomp is selling 4.61 and that 4.71 is only

    > > available
    > > > as the evaluation copy.
    > > > It was also stated that the beta for 4.71 was unstable.
    > > >
    > > > Did you get a released 4.71 or a beta?
    > > > Are you using Win 2000?
    > > >
    > > > I'm trying to call Stomp, but I get busy signals.
    > > > Ditto for Symantec, so Monday is a bad day to call.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of

    > the
    > > > message.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support

    for
    > > > Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical
    > > > reviewing; Standards; Product functional/design/specifications
    > > > "Tracy" wrote in message

    was
    > > > version.

    as
    > > > purchasing

    > > link:

    or
    > > > better

    here
    > > and

    > Drive

    realized
    > > that

    > > which

    > > that

    someone
    > > say

    > "free"

    > > > went

    offered
    > > > those

    > itself.
    > > > WHen

    > choices.
    > > Is

    > available?

  7. Re: Backup Exec

    I'm aware of UCITA.
    UCITA is not law in all states.

    --

    "Wally" wrote in message
    > Hi Howard,
    >
    > Just a short comment on your statement about "legal recourse". I'm
    > attaching a link, which, if you have the time to read through it, will

    show
    > that there is no "legal recourse" for software consumers, unlike almost

    any
    > other product on the market. Today you are totally dependent on the

    ethical
    > behavior of the software companies that you buy from. There are no

    "legal"
    > protections once the package is opened.
    >
    > http://www.ucitaonline.com/
    >
    > Please also see my post above.
    >
    > Best regards,
    >
    > Wally
    >
    > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > I do not trust evals as they cannot be identical with the released

    > product.
    > > And I want the legal recourse associated with a paid for product.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of

    the
    > > message.
    > >
    > > http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    > > Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical
    > > reviewing; Standards; Product functional/design/specifications
    > > "Tracy" wrote in message
    > > > Howard,
    > > >
    > > > I received a released version of 4.71 when I purchased the software.
    > > > I always suggest trying an eval before purchasing since they give you

    30
    > > > days to see if it does what you want.
    > > > The 4.5a version was installed on Win2K Pro since it didn't support

    XP,
    > > but
    > > > I've installed the 4.71 on Win2k Pro and XP so far with no problems.
    > > >
    > > > Tracy
    > > > "Howard Kaikow" wrote in message
    > > > available

    of