Compatability between HP Colorado and Seagate Hornet - Veritas

This is a discussion on Compatability between HP Colorado and Seagate Hornet - Veritas ; I am attempting to restore data recorded using Seagate Backup Exec on a Seagate Hornet 20 drive onto a PC having an HP Colorado 20 drive and Colorado Backup II software. The Colorado software recognises the catalog produced by the ...

  1. Compatability between HP Colorado and Seagate Hornet

    I am attempting to restore data recorded using Seagate Backup Exec on a Seagate
    Hornet 20 drive onto a PC having an HP Colorado 20 drive and Colorado Backup
    II software. The Colorado software recognises the catalog produced by the
    Hornet but when I attempt to restore the data I get the following error...

    Compression information mismatch [4886 1316]

    Both sets of software are OEM versions of the Veritas product, I guess the
    data sets produced by the two different versions of the software are not
    compatible. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade that will allow me to
    read this tape without having to buy a Seagate drive to replace the HP?

    Rick.

  2. Re: Compatability between HP Colorado and Seagate Hornet

    believe it or not I've tried the exact same thing, and have learned that
    once HP tape drives have written to the media Seagate won't like it, and
    visa-versa. It's an odd thing, and I was using the latest and greatest
    Veritas product. I honestly don't know what to tell you since it is a drive
    compatability, and not a software issue.

    Chris

    "Rick Watts" wrote in message

    > I am attempting to restore data recorded using Seagate Backup Exec on a

    Seagate
    > Hornet 20 drive onto a PC having an HP Colorado 20 drive and Colorado

    Backup
    > II software. The Colorado software recognises the catalog produced by the
    > Hornet but when I attempt to restore the data I get the following error...
    >
    > Compression information mismatch [4886 1316]
    >
    > Both sets of software are OEM versions of the Veritas product, I guess the
    > data sets produced by the two different versions of the software are not
    > compatible. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade that will allow me to
    > read this tape without having to buy a Seagate drive to replace the HP?
    >
    > Rick.

  3. Re: Compatability between HP Colorado and Seagate Hornet

    So I guess I need to purchase a duplicate Seagate drive in order to read this
    tape?

    I haven't written to the tape with the HP just tried to restore from it so
    it should still be readable by a Seagate drive?

    The cost of the new drive is not really an issue but I really need to be
    able to read these tapes since they originate from the other side of the
    Atlantic... Both drives would be HP if it were not for tha fact that HP seem
    to have discontinued theirs - still I understand that the Seagate is a better
    product.

    R.

    "Chris" wrote:
    >believe it or not I've tried the exact same thing, and have learned that
    >once HP tape drives have written to the media Seagate won't like it, and
    >visa-versa. It's an odd thing, and I was using the latest and greatest
    >Veritas product. I honestly don't know what to tell you since it is a drive
    >compatability, and not a software issue.
    >

    >Chris
    >

    >"Rick Watts" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I am attempting to restore data recorded using Seagate Backup Exec on

    >Seagate
    >> Hornet 20 drive onto a PC having an HP Colorado 20 drive and Colorado

    >Backup
    >> II software. The Colorado software recognises the catalog produced by

    the
    >> Hornet but when I attempt to restore the data I get the following error...
    >>
    >> Compression information mismatch [4886 1316]
    >>
    >> Both sets of software are OEM versions of the Veritas product, I guess

    the
    >> data sets produced by the two different versions of the software are not
    >> compatible. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade that will allow me

    >> read this tape without having to buy a Seagate drive to replace the HP?
    >>
    >> Rick.

  4. Re: Compatability between HP Colorado and Seagate Hornet

    How do you know its a hardware issue?
    Could well be a software compression issue.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Programming and support for
    Word macros, including converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing
    and reviewing; Standards
    "Rick Watts" wrote in message

    > So I guess I need to purchase a duplicate Seagate drive in order to read

    this
    > tape?
    >
    > I haven't written to the tape with the HP just tried to restore from it so
    > it should still be readable by a Seagate drive?
    >
    > The cost of the new drive is not really an issue but I really need to be
    > able to read these tapes since they originate from the other side of the
    > Atlantic... Both drives would be HP if it were not for tha fact that HP

    seem
    > to have discontinued theirs - still I understand that the Seagate is a

    better
    > product.
    >
    > R.
    >

    > "Chris" wrote:
    > >believe it or not I've tried the exact same thing, and have learned that
    > >once HP tape drives have written to the media Seagate won't like it, and
    > >visa-versa. It's an odd thing, and I was using the latest and greatest
    > >Veritas product. I honestly don't know what to tell you since it is a

    drive
    > >compatability, and not a software issue.
    > >

    > >Chris
    > >

    > >"Rick Watts" wrote in message
    > >>
    > >> I am attempting to restore data recorded using Seagate Backup Exec on

    > >Seagate
    > >> Hornet 20 drive onto a PC having an HP Colorado 20 drive and Colorado

    > >Backup
    > >> II software. The Colorado software recognises the catalog produced by

    > the
    > >> Hornet but when I attempt to restore the data I get the following

    error...

    > >> Compression information mismatch [4886 1316]
    > >>
    > >> Both sets of software are OEM versions of the Veritas product, I guess

    > the
    > >> data sets produced by the two different versions of the software are

    not
    > >> compatible. Does anyone know if there is an upgrade that will allow me

    > >> read this tape without having to buy a Seagate drive to replace the HP?
    > >>
    > >> Rick.

+ Reply to Thread