Upgrade to 4.61 NT4 problem - Veritas

This is a discussion on Upgrade to 4.61 NT4 problem - Veritas ; Had 'fun' with this. Upgrade asks for permission to uninstall 4.5 and won't proceed unless you agree. Give permission and installer returns to report that 4.5 needs to be uninstalled. [caught in a loop]. Of course the second uninstallation fails ...

  1. Upgrade to 4.61 NT4 problem

    Had 'fun' with this. Upgrade asks for permission to uninstall 4.5
    and won't proceed unless you agree.

    Give permission and installer returns to report that 4.5 needs
    to be uninstalled. [caught in a loop].
    Of course the second uninstallation fails - so I quit and start
    over. Now the installer complains I don't a valid copy of 4.5
    and asks for CD. Too bad - I purchased 4.5 as a direct download
    and THAT was an upgrade from 4.2.

    Solution: After reinstalling 4.2 so I could reinstall 4.5,
    I copied the entire Veritas folder to another location.
    Then install 4.6 upgrade, go past the failure, and on second try
    point to the copy of the 4.5 folder.

    What a time sink!
    Norm Goldsmith

  2. Re: Upgrade to 4.61 NT4 problem

    >What a time sink!

    Agreed. The author of the installation program should have a look again at
    his code. If the previous version is detected, he already knows what should
    be replaced, added, removed or modified in order to install the new
    version. Even file formats changes can be handled gracefully if the program
    has been designed properly. Requiring an uninstall, especially for a minor
    updgrade, is definitely a side effect of a bad design.

    But they are not even able to detect in which folder the previous version
    has been installed...

    Given the price of this software, I expected something more professional.

    --
    Patrick Philippot
    patrick.philippot@mainsoft.fr

    Consulting Services
    www.mainsoft.fr

  3. Re: Upgrade to 4.61 NT4 problem

    Veritas has had that problem in a number of updates.
    Whomsoever (mis)designed their installation software did not do a very good
    job.

    --
    Please post your response to the newsgroup. Do not email me a copy of the
    message.

    http://www.standards.com/ipusers/standards; Word macros, including
    converting from WordBasic to VBA; Technical writing and reviewing; Standards
    "Patrick Philippot" wrote in message
    > >What a time sink!

    > Agreed. The author of the installation program should have a look again at
    > his code. If the previous version is detected, he already knows what

    should
    > be replaced, added, removed or modified in order to install the new
    > version. Even file formats changes can be handled gracefully if the

    program
    > has been designed properly. Requiring an uninstall, especially for a minor
    > updgrade, is definitely a side effect of a bad design.
    >
    > But they are not even able to detect in which folder the previous version
    > has been installed...
    >
    > Given the price of this software, I expected something more professional.
    >
    > --
    > Patrick Philippot
    > patrick.philippot@mainsoft.fr
    >
    > Consulting Services