Version 4.6.1 and CD-R problem - Veritas

This is a discussion on Version 4.6.1 and CD-R problem - Veritas ; Is there anyone who can help me on this problem. I am trying to use version 4.6.1 on a Toshiba 4600 with a combined DVD/CD/CD-RW. Version 4.5 didn't recognise it as a valid media type, so I was delighted when ...

  1. Version 4.6.1 and CD-R problem

    Is there anyone who can help me on this problem.

    I am trying to use version 4.6.1 on a Toshiba 4600 with a combined
    DVD/CD/CD-RW. Version 4.5 didn't recognise it as a valid media type, so I
    was delighted when 4.6.1 did. However, it doesn't seem to want to span CD's
    and comes up with an error message when it has filled the first CD-R:

    "An error occurred while writing the backup data.
    A defective or damaged area was detected on the media (08-03-23-03-0C00)"

    I've tried a number of brands of CD-R both 700mb and 650mb (the last one
    being TDK "reflex"), and all behave the same.

    I've tried formatting the CD-R within 4.6.1 before using it and using the
    Backup Wizard.

    If anyone can help I would be very grateful!!!!

    Thanks

    John

  2. Re: Version 4.6.1 and CD-R problem

    I noticed that your drive isn't on the support list, but...
    Your drive is incorrectly reporting a buffer underrun. (0c00 is unspecified
    write error, but it should report 0c09) you might try looking to see if you
    can find a firmware upgrade. If you can't you should try reporting this to
    Toshiba.

    Chris

    "John Booth" wrote in message
    > Is there anyone who can help me on this problem.
    >
    > I am trying to use version 4.6.1 on a Toshiba 4600 with a combined
    > DVD/CD/CD-RW. Version 4.5 didn't recognise it as a valid media type, so I
    > was delighted when 4.6.1 did. However, it doesn't seem to want to span

    CD's
    > and comes up with an error message when it has filled the first CD-R:
    >
    > "An error occurred while writing the backup data.
    > A defective or damaged area was detected on the media (08-03-23-03-0C00)"
    >
    > I've tried a number of brands of CD-R both 700mb and 650mb (the last one
    > being TDK "reflex"), and all behave the same.
    >
    > I've tried formatting the CD-R within 4.6.1 before using it and using the
    > Backup Wizard.
    >
    > If anyone can help I would be very grateful!!!!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

  3. Re: Version 4.6.1 and CD-R problem

    Chris,

    Thanks for your reply. One thing I should have said was that I was using the
    compression for space option.

    I will try as you say, but this is just going to get me on a merry-go-round
    Toshiba are just going to say it's the software. I know the drive works fine
    with Norton Ghost (which I am currently using for Backups !!) which sort of
    indicates that it might very well be the Veritas software (dare I say it).

    If the error is actually a buffer underrun, always at the same place, the
    end of the CD, forgive me but I don't understand how that indicates a
    firmware problem.

    Apologies for being a problem!

    Thanks

    John

    "Chris" wrote in message news:3b7884c4$1@hronntp01....
    > I noticed that your drive isn't on the support list, but...
    > Your drive is incorrectly reporting a buffer underrun. (0c00 is

    unspecified
    > write error, but it should report 0c09) you might try looking to see if

    you
    > can find a firmware upgrade. If you can't you should try reporting this to
    > Toshiba.
    >
    > Chris
    >

    > "John Booth" wrote in message
    > > Is there anyone who can help me on this problem.
    > >
    > > I am trying to use version 4.6.1 on a Toshiba 4600 with a combined
    > > DVD/CD/CD-RW. Version 4.5 didn't recognise it as a valid media type, so

    > > was delighted when 4.6.1 did. However, it doesn't seem to want to span

    > CD's
    > > and comes up with an error message when it has filled the first CD-R:
    > >
    > > "An error occurred while writing the backup data.
    > > A defective or damaged area was detected on the media

    (08-03-23-03-0C00)"

    > > I've tried a number of brands of CD-R both 700mb and 650mb (the last one
    > > being TDK "reflex"), and all behave the same.
    > >
    > > I've tried formatting the CD-R within 4.6.1 before using it and using

    the
    > > Backup Wizard.
    > >
    > > If anyone can help I would be very grateful!!!!
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > John

  4. Re: Version 4.6.1 and CD-R problem

    I am having the same problem. I am using Ver 4.61 with an HP9350 drive. I get
    the same error message and have tried different media.

    John Booth wrote:

    > Is there anyone who can help me on this problem.
    >
    > I am trying to use version 4.6.1 on a Toshiba 4600 with a combined
    > DVD/CD/CD-RW. Version 4.5 didn't recognise it as a valid media type, so I
    > was delighted when 4.6.1 did. However, it doesn't seem to want to span CD's
    > and comes up with an error message when it has filled the first CD-R:
    >
    > "An error occurred while writing the backup data.
    > A defective or damaged area was detected on the media (08-03-23-03-0C00)"
    >
    > I've tried a number of brands of CD-R both 700mb and 650mb (the last one
    > being TDK "reflex"), and all behave the same.
    >
    > I've tried formatting the CD-R within 4.6.1 before using it and using the
    > Backup Wizard.
    >
    > If anyone can help I would be very grateful!!!!
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > John

  5. Re: Version 4.6.1 and CD-R problem

    the 08-03-23-03-0C00 error is the drive reporting a write error. (possibly
    an incorrectly reported buffer underrun) which is causing 4.61 to not be
    able to continue. Call/email/snailmail Toshiba and request a firmware
    upgrade.

    If your seeing this with the HP 9300 series, you might have a hardware
    problem. Make sure you're not using DCD (kill it with CTRL+ALT+DEL if you
    have to.)

    Chris

    "Steve Blake" wrote in message
    > I am having the same problem. I am using Ver 4.61 with an HP9350 drive.

    I get
    > the same error message and have tried different media.
    >
    > John Booth wrote:
    >
    > > Is there anyone who can help me on this problem.
    > >
    > > I am trying to use version 4.6.1 on a Toshiba 4600 with a combined
    > > DVD/CD/CD-RW. Version 4.5 didn't recognise it as a valid media type, so

    > > was delighted when 4.6.1 did. However, it doesn't seem to want to span

    CD's
    > > and comes up with an error message when it has filled the first CD-R:
    > >
    > > "An error occurred while writing the backup data.
    > > A defective or damaged area was detected on the media

    (08-03-23-03-0C00)"

    > > I've tried a number of brands of CD-R both 700mb and 650mb (the last one
    > > being TDK "reflex"), and all behave the same.
    > >
    > > I've tried formatting the CD-R within 4.6.1 before using it and using

    the
    > > Backup Wizard.
    > >
    > > If anyone can help I would be very grateful!!!!
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > John

+ Reply to Thread