Backup to Hard Disk? - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backup to Hard Disk? - Veritas ; Does Backup Exec Desktop v4.4(SRS) support backing up to hard disks under Windows 2000 Pro? I can't find a way to specify any device except the CD/ROM burner that happens to be installed. Any help would be appreciated. Lanny T. ...

  1. Backup to Hard Disk?

    Does Backup Exec Desktop v4.4(SRS) support backing up to hard disks
    under Windows 2000 Pro? I can't find a way to specify any device except
    the CD/ROM burner that happens to be installed. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    Lanny T.
    Simi Valley, CA

  2. Re: Backup to Hard Disk?

    Lanny Tiefer wrote:

    >Does Backup Exec Desktop v4.4(SRS) support backing up to hard disks
    >under Windows 2000 Pro? I can't find a way to specify any device except
    >the CD/ROM burner that happens to be installed. Any help would be
    >appreciated.

    ---------
    In the "Where to back up" dropdown list, can you specify File? This
    is how to back up to a hard drive. Note you can't do an emergency
    restore from a file backup.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: Backup to Hard Disk?

    Colin,

    It doesn't let my type in that box ... I can only select listed items ... all
    one of them. Any other ideas ... anybody?

    Lanny

    Colin Sewell wrote:

    > Lanny Tiefer wrote:
    >
    > >Does Backup Exec Desktop v4.4(SRS) support backing up to hard disks
    > >under Windows 2000 Pro? I can't find a way to specify any device except
    > >the CD/ROM burner that happens to be installed. Any help would be
    > >appreciated.

    > ---------
    > In the "Where to back up" dropdown list, can you specify File? This
    > is how to back up to a hard drive. Note you can't do an emergency
    > restore from a file backup.
    > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > Vancouver, BC

  4. Re: Backup to Hard Disk?

    You're not supposed to be able to type in that dropdown list, but if
    all you can see is your CD-RW drive there, then that's all you can
    back up to. I'm not sure what SRS means, but it sounds like you have
    an OEM version of Backup Exec that came bundled with your CD-RW drive.
    OEM version are typically targeted only to the device they came with.

    Lanny Tiefer wrote:

    >Colin,
    >
    >It doesn't let my type in that box ... I can only select listed items ... all
    >one of them. Any other ideas ... anybody?
    >
    >Lanny
    >
    >Colin Sewell wrote:
    >
    >> Lanny Tiefer wrote:
    >>
    >> >Does Backup Exec Desktop v4.4(SRS) support backing up to hard disks
    >> >under Windows 2000 Pro? I can't find a way to specify any device except
    >> >the CD/ROM burner that happens to be installed. Any help would be
    >> >appreciated.

    >> ---------
    >> In the "Where to back up" dropdown list, can you specify File? This
    >> is how to back up to a hard drive. Note you can't do an emergency
    >> restore from a file backup.
    >> Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    >> Vancouver, BC

    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  5. Re: Backup to Hard Disk?

    Nope! I bought it from Veritas. It's the full package. I guess you can't help.
    Thanks for trying ...

    Lanny

    Colin Sewell wrote:

    > You're not supposed to be able to type in that dropdown list, but if
    > all you can see is your CD-RW drive there, then that's all you can
    > back up to. I'm not sure what SRS means, but it sounds like you have
    > an OEM version of Backup Exec that came bundled with your CD-RW drive.
    > OEM version are typically targeted only to the device they came with.
    >
    > Lanny Tiefer wrote:
    >
    > >Colin,
    > >
    > >It doesn't let my type in that box ... I can only select listed items ... all
    > >one of them. Any other ideas ... anybody?
    > >
    > >Lanny
    > >
    > >Colin Sewell wrote:

    > >> ---------
    > >> In the "Where to back up" dropdown list, can you specify File? This
    > >> is how to back up to a hard drive. Note you can't do an emergency
    > >> restore from a file backup.
    > >> Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > >> Vancouver, BC

    > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > Vancouver, BC

  6. Re: Backup to Hard Disk?

    I agree with you that you can not do a disaster recovery from file, but I
    quite often restore my system by creating a special primary partition that
    has my OS, Backup Exec and Partition Magic. When I need to restore my C:
    drive, I simply go into Partition Magic, set my special partition to active
    and unhide the C drive. (It warns me that Win95 & Win98 do not support two
    active partitions but I have had no problems doing this for about 2 years).
    When you reboot, you will be running from the special partition and your C:
    drive will be the last drive letter. Just reformat your drive and restore
    your file backup (assuming it was not on the C drive :-). This is a lot
    faster than running from the emergency tape. Restoring from that takes
    forever.

    Of course the above method does not work if your drive dies altogether. I
    have never had that happen. Usually I use the above method to go back to a
    known good state after screwing something up.

    I have two hard drives and I always backup from one drive to the other.

    Colin Sewell wrote:

    > Lanny Tiefer wrote:
    >
    > >Does Backup Exec Desktop v4.4(SRS) support backing up to hard disks
    > >under Windows 2000 Pro? I can't find a way to specify any device except
    > >the CD/ROM burner that happens to be installed. Any help would be
    > >appreciated.

    > ---------
    > In the "Where to back up" dropdown list, can you specify File? This
    > is how to back up to a hard drive. Note you can't do an emergency
    > restore from a file backup.
    > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > Vancouver, BC

  7. Re: Backup to Hard Disk?

    Folks,

    My requirement is not for disaster recovery. I've got that covered. I need to
    archive for temporary storage massive audio and video files to a removable hard
    drive (in a docking bay). I was just trying to save some space by using the
    backup program's compression. Since this Backup Exec apparently can't easily
    backup to disk, I'll probably just do a disk copy and be done with it.

    LT

    Grasser wrote:

    > I agree with you that you can not do a disaster recovery from file, but I
    > quite often restore my system by creating a special primary partition that
    > has my OS, Backup Exec and Partition Magic. When I need to restore my C:
    > drive, I simply go into Partition Magic, set my special partition to active
    > and unhide the C drive. (It warns me that Win95 & Win98 do not support two
    > active partitions but I have had no problems doing this for about 2 years).
    > When you reboot, you will be running from the special partition and your C:
    > drive will be the last drive letter. Just reformat your drive and restore
    > your file backup (assuming it was not on the C drive :-). This is a lot
    > faster than running from the emergency tape. Restoring from that takes
    > forever.
    >
    > Of course the above method does not work if your drive dies altogether. I
    > have never had that happen. Usually I use the above method to go back to a
    > known good state after screwing something up.
    >
    > I have two hard drives and I always backup from one drive to the other.
    >
    > Colin Sewell wrote:
    >
    > > Lanny Tiefer wrote:
    > >
    > > >Does Backup Exec Desktop v4.4(SRS) support backing up to hard disks
    > > >under Windows 2000 Pro? I can't find a way to specify any device except
    > > >the CD/ROM burner that happens to be installed. Any help would be
    > > >appreciated.

    > > ---------
    > > In the "Where to back up" dropdown list, can you specify File? This
    > > is how to back up to a hard drive. Note you can't do an emergency
    > > restore from a file backup.
    > > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > > Vancouver, BC

  8. Re: Backup to Hard Disk?

    SRS does mean that it was a Seagate OEM, did you upgrade or buy at a
    computer show, etc.

    Chris

    "Lanny Tiefer" wrote in message
    > Nope! I bought it from Veritas. It's the full package. I guess you

    can't help.
    > Thanks for trying ...
    >
    > Lanny
    >
    > Colin Sewell wrote:
    >
    > > You're not supposed to be able to type in that dropdown list, but if
    > > all you can see is your CD-RW drive there, then that's all you can
    > > back up to. I'm not sure what SRS means, but it sounds like you have
    > > an OEM version of Backup Exec that came bundled with your CD-RW drive.
    > > OEM version are typically targeted only to the device they came with.
    > >
    > > Lanny Tiefer wrote:
    > >
    > > >Colin,
    > > >
    > > >It doesn't let my type in that box ... I can only select listed items

    .... all
    > > >one of them. Any other ideas ... anybody?
    > > >
    > > >Lanny

    except

    > > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > > Vancouver, BC