insert another media and append problem - Veritas

This is a discussion on insert another media and append problem - Veritas ; When backing up my hardrive which is only 6 gb and using an 8 gb tape, I am asked to insert another media after it's been backing up for awhile. Why? Also, how can I set my automatic backup so ...

  1. insert another media and append problem

    When backing up my hardrive which is only 6 gb and using an 8 gb tape, I am
    asked to insert another media after it's been backing up for awhile. Why?

    Also, how can I set my automatic backup so it will not ask me if I want to
    append or overwrite each time. I just want to backup weekly at 10:00 p.m.
    what I changed or added to my hardrive.

  2. Re: insert another media and append problem

    INSERT ANOTHER MEDIA...

    Go to Job>Options under the main menu, and make sure that the option for
    "Maximize compression to save space" under the General Tab is selected.

    APPEND...

    Open BackUp Excec Desktop, Normaly it says "Untitled Job", now click Options
    at the bottom of the program or going to the Job menu and selecting Options.
    Under the General Tab, there's a section that says: "If the media already
    contains backups", select "Overwrite the media with this backup". Click
    Apply and OK.

    If you are doing a full system backup, don't forget to go also to the
    Advance Tab under Options and select "Backup Windows Registry"

    After doing all that, click on the Job Menu, and select Save...
    Choose a name for that particular Backup Job (i.e. Full System BackUp)

    Next time you open Backup Exec, choose the name you gave in the pull-down
    menu under the Backup Tab in the main window, and it will never gonna ask
    you if you want to overwrite the media.

    I hope this will help you!!!
    --
    Armando Torres
    Maui_Waves@Bigfoot.Com

    "Eileen Cosello" wrote in message

    When backing up my hardrive which is only 6 gb and using an 8 gb tape, I am
    asked to insert another media after it's been backing up for awhile. Why?

    Also, how can I set my automatic backup so it will not ask me if I want to
    append or overwrite each time. I just want to backup weekly at 10:00 p.m.
    what I changed or added to my hardrive.

  3. Re: insert another media and append problem

    FYI- your 8gb tape assumes a 2 to 1 ratio of compression, it's rather hard
    to get that high of a compression with todays software. You'll be lucky to
    get 6gb on that tape.

    Chris

    "Armando Torres" wrote in message
    > INSERT ANOTHER MEDIA...
    >

    > Go to Job>Options under the main menu, and make sure that the option for
    > "Maximize compression to save space" under the General Tab is selected.
    >

    > APPEND...
    >

    > Open BackUp Excec Desktop, Normaly it says "Untitled Job", now click

    > at the bottom of the program or going to the Job menu and selecting

    Options.
    > Under the General Tab, there's a section that says: "If the media already
    > contains backups", select "Overwrite the media with this backup". Click
    > Apply and OK.
    >
    > If you are doing a full system backup, don't forget to go also to the
    > Advance Tab under Options and select "Backup Windows Registry"
    >
    > After doing all that, click on the Job Menu, and select Save...
    > Choose a name for that particular Backup Job (i.e. Full System BackUp)
    >
    > Next time you open Backup Exec, choose the name you gave in the pull-down
    > menu under the Backup Tab in the main window, and it will never gonna ask
    > you if you want to overwrite the media.
    >

    > I hope this will help you!!!
    > --
    > Armando Torres
    > Maui_Waves@Bigfoot.Com
    >
    > "Eileen Cosello" wrote in message
    >
    > When backing up my hardrive which is only 6 gb and using an 8 gb tape, I

    am
    > asked to insert another media after it's been backing up for awhile. Why?
    >
    > Also, how can I set my automatic backup so it will not ask me if I want to
    > append or overwrite each time. I just want to backup weekly at 10:00 p.m.
    > what I changed or added to my hardrive.

+ Reply to Thread