Necessary to reformat CD-RW media every time ? - Veritas

This is a discussion on Necessary to reformat CD-RW media every time ? - Veritas ; I'm using Backup Exec desktop with a TEAC CDRW drive. Every time I backup to a previously used CDRW, it insists on reformatting the media. This is very time consuming (about 20 mins per CDRW). Is this really necessary ? ...

  1. Necessary to reformat CD-RW media every time ?

    I'm using Backup Exec desktop with a TEAC CDRW drive. Every time I backup
    to a previously used CDRW, it insists on reformatting the media. This is
    very time consuming (about 20 mins per CDRW). Is this really necessary ?
    Can't I reuse CDRW media without reformatting every time ?
    Thanks for any advice.

  2. Re: Necessary to reformat CD-RW media every time ?

    Set the backup options to append or ask instead of overwrite.

    --
    Live Long and Prosper,
    CRH
    "Ruby" wrote in message

    > I'm using Backup Exec desktop with a TEAC CDRW drive. Every time I

    backup
    > to a previously used CDRW, it insists on reformatting the media.

    This is
    > very time consuming (about 20 mins per CDRW). Is this really

    necessary ?
    > Can't I reuse CDRW media without reformatting every time ?
    > Thanks for any advice.

  3. Re: Necessary to reformat CD-RW media every time ?

    Not sure this actually answered the question.

    I am considering using BE45 to do backups to CD-RW. I have about 2 GB of
    data to backup and I want to do a full backup every time. I know it is
    going to take at least 2 discs to complete the backup. I guess that I will
    want it to overwrite or I will begin to build up a stack of used discs.
    Will BE45 format the CD-RW each time? Does it then make sense to use CD-R
    instead?

    TIA
    Bandy

    "CRH" wrote in message
    > Set the backup options to append or ask instead of overwrite.
    >
    > --
    > Live Long and Prosper,
    > CRH
    > "Ruby" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm using Backup Exec desktop with a TEAC CDRW drive. Every time I

    > backup
    > > to a previously used CDRW, it insists on reformatting the media.

    > This is
    > > very time consuming (about 20 mins per CDRW). Is this really

    > necessary ?
    > > Can't I reuse CDRW media without reformatting every time ?
    > > Thanks for any advice.

  4. Re: Necessary to reformat CD-RW media every time ?

    I use CD-RW's everytime, and I think it's better that the CD-R's. The only
    problem is that it takes a little time while it format the disc.

    --
    Armando Torres
    Maui_Waves@Bigfoot.Com

    "CRH" wrote in message
    > Set the backup options to append or ask instead of overwrite.
    >
    > --
    > Live Long and Prosper,
    > CRH
    > "Ruby" wrote in message
    > >
    > > I'm using Backup Exec desktop with a TEAC CDRW drive. Every time I

    > backup
    > > to a previously used CDRW, it insists on reformatting the media.

    > This is
    > > very time consuming (about 20 mins per CDRW). Is this really

    > necessary ?
    > > Can't I reuse CDRW media without reformatting every time ?
    > > Thanks for any advice.

  5. Re: Necessary to reformat CD-RW media every time ?

    Hi;
    When I tell it to overwrite the disk, it formats on the fly. I don't
    know if this is a feature of the drive or the version of the software.
    "Armando Torres" wrote in message
    > I use CD-RW's everytime, and I think it's better that the CD-R's. The only
    > problem is that it takes a little time while it format the disc.
    >
    > --
    > Armando Torres
    > Maui_Waves@Bigfoot.Com
    > "Brian Anderson" wrote in message
    > Not sure this actually answered the question.
    >
    > I am considering using BE45 to do backups to CD-RW. I have about 2 GB of
    > data to backup and I want to do a full backup every time. I know it is
    > going to take at least 2 discs to complete the backup. I guess that I will
    > want it to overwrite or I will begin to build up a stack of used discs.
    > Will BE45 format the CD-RW each time? Does it then make sense to use CD-R
    > instead?
    >
    > TIA
    > Bandy
    >

    > "CRH" wrote in message
    > > Set the backup options to append or ask instead of overwrite.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Live Long and Prosper,
    > > CRH
    > > "Ruby" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I'm using Backup Exec desktop with a TEAC CDRW drive. Every time I

    > > backup
    > > > to a previously used CDRW, it insists on reformatting the media.

    > > This is
    > > > very time consuming (about 20 mins per CDRW). Is this really

    > > necessary ?
    > > > Can't I reuse CDRW media without reformatting every time ?
    > > > Thanks for any advice.

+ Reply to Thread