Help need info - Veritas

This is a discussion on Help need info - Veritas ; I just got a cdrw teac 54E and I have win 98 se and I was told by a buddy that microsoft backup can back up to cdr. Is this true are is this a lie. The ver of back ...

  1. Help need info

    I just got a cdrw teac 54E and I have win 98 se and I was told by a buddy
    that microsoft backup can back up to cdr. Is this true are is this a lie.
    The ver of back up is 4.10.1397. Thanks for any help

  2. Re: Help need info

    "jon davis" wrote:

    >I just got a cdrw teac 54E and I have win 98 se and I was told by a buddy
    >that microsoft backup can back up to cdr. Is this true are is this a lie.
    >The ver of back up is 4.10.1397. Thanks for any help

    ------
    Microsoft backup can only backup to a CD-RW if you have packet writing
    software installed and back up to a file on he CD-RW. In other words,
    if you treat the CD-RW as a large floppy. However, you have no span
    capabilities. Everything has to fit on one CD-RW. MS backup doesn't
    recognize CD-RW's as native backup devices like tapes.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: Help need info (CD-RW & BE)

    When I first got my new machine I had hoped to use Win 2000
    Backup with a CD-RW drive. After banging my head for several days
    trying to get it to work, I found a Microsoft KB article that
    says, in effect, that MS Backup's refusal to use the CD-RW is
    by design. (Thanks again, Bill Gates!)
    So I bought Veritas Desktop Exec, and have posted a
    sad story elsewhere about my attempts to use the CD-RW with BE.
    It seems DirectCD has a death grip on the drive and retains it
    even if you kill off the DirectCD process. The mention below of
    "packet writing software" is sort of intriguing. Can anyone point
    me to more info about same? Or give some pointers about getting
    DirectCD out of the wy so BE can run?

    TIA,
    Jim Brooking

    Colin Sewell wrote:
    >"jon davis" wrote:
    >
    >>I just got a cdrw teac 54E and I have win 98 se and I was told by a buddy
    >>that microsoft backup can back up to cdr. Is this true are is this a lie.
    >>The ver of back up is 4.10.1397. Thanks for any help

    >------
    >Microsoft backup can only backup to a CD-RW if you have packet writing
    >software installed and back up to a file on he CD-RW. In other words,
    >if you treat the CD-RW as a large floppy. However, you have no span
    >capabilities. Everything has to fit on one CD-RW. MS backup doesn't
    >recognize CD-RW's as native backup devices like tapes.
    >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    >Vancouver, BC

  4. Re: Help need info (CD-RW & BE)

    before starting a backup, Ctrl + Alt + Del and kill DCD.

    Chris

    "Jim" wrote in message news:3a9ecb00@hronntp01....

    > When I first got my new machine I had hoped to use Win 2000
    > Backup with a CD-RW drive. After banging my head for several days
    > trying to get it to work, I found a Microsoft KB article that
    > says, in effect, that MS Backup's refusal to use the CD-RW is
    > by design. (Thanks again, Bill Gates!)
    > So I bought Veritas Desktop Exec, and have posted a
    > sad story elsewhere about my attempts to use the CD-RW with BE.
    > It seems DirectCD has a death grip on the drive and retains it
    > even if you kill off the DirectCD process. The mention below of
    > "packet writing software" is sort of intriguing. Can anyone point
    > me to more info about same? Or give some pointers about getting
    > DirectCD out of the wy so BE can run?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jim Brooking
    >

    > Colin Sewell wrote:
    > >"jon davis" wrote:
    > >
    > >>I just got a cdrw teac 54E and I have win 98 se and I was told by a

    buddy
    > >>that microsoft backup can back up to cdr. Is this true are is this a

    lie.
    > >>The ver of back up is 4.10.1397. Thanks for any help

    > >------
    > >Microsoft backup can only backup to a CD-RW if you have packet writing
    > >software installed and back up to a file on he CD-RW. In other words,
    > >if you treat the CD-RW as a large floppy. However, you have no span
    > >capabilities. Everything has to fit on one CD-RW. MS backup doesn't
    > >recognize CD-RW's as native backup devices like tapes.
    > >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > >Vancouver, BC

  5. Re: Help need info (CD-RW & BE)

    You can not use DirectCD formatted CD's with BE. It uses its own
    format. Go into DirectCD properties and disable the stuff under
    DirectCD Wizard. BE has the death grip because you have a DirectCD
    formatted CD in the drive.

    --
    Live Long and Prosper
    CRH

    "Jim" wrote in message

    > When I first got my new machine I had hoped to use Win 2000
    > Backup with a CD-RW drive. After banging my head for several days
    > trying to get it to work, I found a Microsoft KB article that
    > says, in effect, that MS Backup's refusal to use the CD-RW is
    > by design. (Thanks again, Bill Gates!)
    > So I bought Veritas Desktop Exec, and have posted a
    > sad story elsewhere about my attempts to use the CD-RW with BE.
    > It seems DirectCD has a death grip on the drive and retains it
    > even if you kill off the DirectCD process. The mention below of
    > "packet writing software" is sort of intriguing. Can anyone point
    > me to more info about same? Or give some pointers about getting
    > DirectCD out of the wy so BE can run?
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jim Brooking
    >

    > Colin Sewell wrote:
    > >"jon davis" wrote:
    > >
    > >>I just got a cdrw teac 54E and I have win 98 se and I was told by

    a buddy
    > >>that microsoft backup can back up to cdr. Is this true are is this

    a lie.
    > >>The ver of back up is 4.10.1397. Thanks for any help

    > >------
    > >Microsoft backup can only backup to a CD-RW if you have packet

    writing
    > >software installed and back up to a file on he CD-RW. In other

    words,
    > >if you treat the CD-RW as a large floppy. However, you have no

    span
    > >capabilities. Everything has to fit on one CD-RW. MS backup

    doesn't
    > >recognize CD-RW's as native backup devices like tapes.
    > >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > >Vancouver, BC

+ Reply to Thread