Restore from Files, Help! - Veritas

This is a discussion on Restore from Files, Help! - Veritas ; My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my hard drive? I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu, but the only option is from media and no file-restore ...

  1. Restore from Files, Help!

    My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my hard
    drive?

    I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu, but the
    only option is from media and no file-restore option.

    Please let me know how to restore from .qic file?

    thanks!

    fei

  2. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    "news.support.veritas.com" wrote:

    >My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my hard
    >drive?
    >
    >I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu, but the
    >only option is from media and no file-restore option.
    >
    >Please let me know how to restore from .qic file?

    -------------
    Sounds like you're trying to do an emergency restore from a file
    backup. Unfortunately, that is not possible. It's a much requested
    feature though, so maybe Veritas will include it in some future
    version. Didn't you notice that when you created the emergency
    floppies, it had to be for a specific backup device?
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    Exactly. This should be a standard feature from BE.

    Thanks for your input!

    -fei
    Colin Sewell wrote in message
    > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote:
    >
    > >My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my hard
    > >drive?
    > >
    > >I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu, but the
    > >only option is from media and no file-restore option.
    > >
    > >Please let me know how to restore from .qic file?

    > -------------
    > Sounds like you're trying to do an emergency restore from a file
    > backup. Unfortunately, that is not possible. It's a much requested
    > feature though, so maybe Veritas will include it in some future
    > version. Didn't you notice that when you created the emergency
    > floppies, it had to be for a specific backup device?
    > Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    > Vancouver, BC

  4. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    Veritas seem to be caught on the horns of a dilemma! Greed, maximising
    shareholder value, whatever, on one side, and the complexities of STUPID
    Microsoft Windows on the other.

    By pushing the emergency restore features into the Pro version of BE and
    forcing users to pay quite a lot extra for this facility, Veritas has in
    effect pushed many single-PC users to persuade themselves that a) file
    backup is OK by itself and b) major hard disk disasters never happen.
    Wrong and Wrong!

    So, in marketing terms, Veritas is ALIENATING many users: every day they
    run BE and think 'My data is safe', then disaster strikes and they have
    no 'one shot' restore option. They then spend a lot of hours messing
    about with Windows reloading from CD, application installs and
    eventually data recovery from BE, look back in anger (or at least in
    considerable irritation) and swear to find an alternative to BE which IS
    cheap and DOES allow a one-shot recover. And the answer is (probably)
    Ghost disk-to-disk copy or somesuch, which does NOT automatically
    provide the security of removable media although its good in other
    respects.

    I doubt if Veritas would find much technical difficulty in putting the
    key feature (back) into BE Desktop: emergency recovery from diskette +
    CD (or ideally, CD only). It's only a marketing decision (I believe).
    --
    John Brooks

  5. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    Ghost does provide for removable storage. I use it with a HDD in a Mobile
    Docking Bay. It has absolutely never failed me.

    "john brooks" wrote in message
    > Veritas seem to be caught on the horns of a dilemma! Greed, maximising
    > shareholder value, whatever, on one side, and the complexities of STUPID
    > Microsoft Windows on the other.
    >
    > By pushing the emergency restore features into the Pro version of BE and
    > forcing users to pay quite a lot extra for this facility, Veritas has in
    > effect pushed many single-PC users to persuade themselves that a) file
    > backup is OK by itself and b) major hard disk disasters never happen.
    > Wrong and Wrong!
    >
    > So, in marketing terms, Veritas is ALIENATING many users: every day they
    > run BE and think 'My data is safe', then disaster strikes and they have
    > no 'one shot' restore option. They then spend a lot of hours messing
    > about with Windows reloading from CD, application installs and
    > eventually data recovery from BE, look back in anger (or at least in
    > considerable irritation) and swear to find an alternative to BE which IS
    > cheap and DOES allow a one-shot recover. And the answer is (probably)
    > Ghost disk-to-disk copy or somesuch, which does NOT automatically
    > provide the security of removable media although its good in other
    > respects.
    >
    > I doubt if Veritas would find much technical difficulty in putting the
    > key feature (back) into BE Desktop: emergency recovery from diskette +
    > CD (or ideally, CD only). It's only a marketing decision (I believe).
    > --
    > John Brooks

  6. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    Your message is not quite clear. You say you have a file backup on your HD
    but you are trying to run the emergency restore from diskette. Does this
    mean your hard drive is trashed (lost all software)? If not, you should be
    able to restore from the file backup on the HD. Select RESTORE then
    Restore from FILE. Another window to the right appears with a folder
    button. Press the folder button and find your file (it should have a .QIC
    extension) then select Device View and go from there. If you no longer
    have data on your HD and you do not have a tape backup your out of luck
    because you don't have a backup on a removable media.

    "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my hard
    > drive?
    >
    > I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu, but

    the
    > only option is from media and no file-restore option.
    >
    > Please let me know how to restore from .qic file?
    >
    > thanks!
    >

    > fei

  7. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    What I got is a second HD so my first HD crashes, I still have access to the
    backup file on the second CD. But BE cann't restore the system from the
    backup file on the second HD!

    Fei

    Leon FB wrote in message news:3a94482b@hronntp01....
    > Your message is not quite clear. You say you have a file backup on your HD
    > but you are trying to run the emergency restore from diskette. Does this
    > mean your hard drive is trashed (lost all software)? If not, you should be
    > able to restore from the file backup on the HD. Select RESTORE then
    > Restore from FILE. Another window to the right appears with a folder
    > button. Press the folder button and find your file (it should have a .QIC
    > extension) then select Device View and go from there. If you no longer
    > have data on your HD and you do not have a tape backup your out of luck
    > because you don't have a backup on a removable media.
    >
    > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my hard
    > > drive?
    > >
    > > I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu, but

    > the
    > > only option is from media and no file-restore option.
    > >
    > > Please let me know how to restore from .qic file?
    > >
    > > thanks!
    > >

    > > fei

  8. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    Can you verify if I got the facts straight -

    1. YOU HAVE TWO HARD DRIVES
    2. YOU HAVE A .QIK BACKUP FILE ON THE 2ND HARD DRIVE
    WHAT IS ON THIS BACKUP FILE? DR1,DR2 OR BOTH
    WHAT KIND OF BACKUP? (FULL,INCREMENTAL)
    3. YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE WAS WIPED OUT
    4. YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY REMOVABLE MEDIA BACKUP
    5. YOU HAVE REPLACED YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE
    6. YOU HAVE A LOADABLE VERSION OF BE

    If the above is correct and your .QIK File is ONLY a backup of your 2nd
    hard drive and you have no other backups, then you have lost everything on
    Drive 1.

    > > Your message is not quite clear. You say you have a file backup on

    your HD
    > > but you are trying to run the emergency restore from diskette. Does

    this
    > > mean your hard drive is trashed (lost all software)? If not, you

    should be
    > > able to restore from the file backup on the HD. Select RESTORE then
    > > Restore from FILE. Another window to the right appears with a folder
    > > button. Press the folder button and find your file (it should have a

    ..QIC
    > > extension) then select Device View and go from there. If you no longer
    > > have data on your HD and you do not have a tape backup your out of

    luck
    > > because you don't have a backup on a removable media.
    > >
    > > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > > My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my

    hard
    > > > drive?
    > > >
    > > > I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu,

    but
    > > the
    > > > only option is from media and no file-restore option.
    > > >
    > > > Please let me know how to restore from .qic file?
    > > >
    > > > thanks!
    > > >

    > > > fei

  9. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    It is basically right except:
    No.4: 1st HD is corrupted-not bootable to Win98, but not wiped out.
    No 5: I didn't replace 1st HD.
    No.6 I have a BE emergency diskettes which can boot the machine to recover
    menu.

    Thanks

    fei

    Leon FB wrote in message
    > Can you verify if I got the facts straight -
    >
    > 1. YOU HAVE TWO HARD DRIVES
    > 2. YOU HAVE A .QIK BACKUP FILE ON THE 2ND HARD DRIVE
    > WHAT IS ON THIS BACKUP FILE? DR1,DR2 OR BOTH
    > WHAT KIND OF BACKUP? (FULL,INCREMENTAL)
    > 3. YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE WAS WIPED OUT
    > 4. YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY REMOVABLE MEDIA BACKUP
    > 5. YOU HAVE REPLACED YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE
    > 6. YOU HAVE A LOADABLE VERSION OF BE
    >
    > If the above is correct and your .QIK File is ONLY a backup of your 2nd
    > hard drive and you have no other backups, then you have lost everything on
    > Drive 1.
    >

    > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > What I got is a second HD so my first HD crashes, I still have access to

    > the
    > > backup file on the second CD. But BE cann't restore the system from the
    > > backup file on the second HD!
    > >
    > > Fei
    > >
    > > Leon FB wrote in message

    > > > Your message is not quite clear. You say you have a file backup on

    > your HD
    > > > but you are trying to run the emergency restore from diskette. Does

    > this
    > > > mean your hard drive is trashed (lost all software)? If not, you

    > should be
    > > > able to restore from the file backup on the HD. Select RESTORE then
    > > > Restore from FILE. Another window to the right appears with a folder
    > > > button. Press the folder button and find your file (it should have a

    > .QIC
    > > > extension) then select Device View and go from there. If you no longer
    > > > have data on your HD and you do not have a tape backup your out of

    > luck
    > > > because you don't have a backup on a removable media.
    > > >
    > > > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message

    > hard

    > but
    > > > the

  10. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    You filed to answer what kind of backup is on the .QIK file on the 2nd HD.
    Is it a complete C: & D: backup or not? If it is and you have an
    installable version of WINDOWS & BE then you should FORMAT the 1st HD (C:
    I assume) then load WINDOWS & BE then Restore from the file backup.

    > It is basically right except:
    > No.4: 1st HD is corrupted-not bootable to Win98, but not wiped out.
    > No 5: I didn't replace 1st HD.
    > No.6 I have a BE emergency diskettes which can boot the machine to

    recover
    > menu.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > fei
    >

    > Leon FB wrote in message
    > > Can you verify if I got the facts straight -
    > >
    > > 1. YOU HAVE TWO HARD DRIVES
    > > 2. YOU HAVE A .QIK BACKUP FILE ON THE 2ND HARD DRIVE
    > > WHAT IS ON THIS BACKUP FILE? DR1,DR2 OR BOTH
    > > WHAT KIND OF BACKUP? (FULL,INCREMENTAL)
    > > 3. YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE WAS WIPED OUT
    > > 4. YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY REMOVABLE MEDIA BACKUP
    > > 5. YOU HAVE REPLACED YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE
    > > 6. YOU HAVE A LOADABLE VERSION OF BE
    > >
    > > If the above is correct and your .QIK File is ONLY a backup of your

    2nd
    > > hard drive and you have no other backups, then you have lost

    everything on
    > > Drive 1.
    > >

    > > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > > What I got is a second HD so my first HD crashes, I still have

    access to
    > > the
    > > > backup file on the second CD. But BE cann't restore the system from

    the
    > > > backup file on the second HD!
    > > >
    > > > Fei
    > > >
    > > > Leon FB wrote in message

    > > your HD

    Does
    > > this

    > > should be

    then

    folder

    > > .QIC

    longer

    > > luck

    message

    my
    > > hard

    menu,
    > > but

  11. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    Yes, I know...

    But I still need to install Win and BE before getting back the full system,
    which is a stupid way to back up...

    This is really dumb...

    Leon FB wrote in message news:3a957400@hronntp01....
    > You filed to answer what kind of backup is on the .QIK file on the 2nd HD.
    > Is it a complete C: & D: backup or not? If it is and you have an
    > installable version of WINDOWS & BE then you should FORMAT the 1st HD (C:
    > I assume) then load WINDOWS & BE then Restore from the file backup.
    >
    > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > It is basically right except:
    > > No.4: 1st HD is corrupted-not bootable to Win98, but not wiped out.
    > > No 5: I didn't replace 1st HD.
    > > No.6 I have a BE emergency diskettes which can boot the machine to

    > recover
    > > menu.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > fei
    > >

    > > Leon FB wrote in message
    > > > Can you verify if I got the facts straight -
    > > >
    > > > 1. YOU HAVE TWO HARD DRIVES
    > > > 2. YOU HAVE A .QIK BACKUP FILE ON THE 2ND HARD DRIVE
    > > > WHAT IS ON THIS BACKUP FILE? DR1,DR2 OR BOTH
    > > > WHAT KIND OF BACKUP? (FULL,INCREMENTAL)
    > > > 3. YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE WAS WIPED OUT
    > > > 4. YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY REMOVABLE MEDIA BACKUP
    > > > 5. YOU HAVE REPLACED YOUR 1ST HARD DRIVE
    > > > 6. YOU HAVE A LOADABLE VERSION OF BE
    > > >
    > > > If the above is correct and your .QIK File is ONLY a backup of your

    > 2nd
    > > > hard drive and you have no other backups, then you have lost

    > everything on
    > > > Drive 1.
    > > >

    > > > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message

    > access to
    > > > the

    > the

    > > > your HD

    > Does
    > > > this
    > > > should be

    > then

    > folder

    > > > .QIC

    > longer
    > > > luck

    > message

    > my
    > > > hard

    > menu,
    > > > but

  12. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    IMO BE is primarily designed for "complete" system restore from a
    removable media (tape,zip,etc). I agree that the Emergency Restore should
    include the ability to select a file on hard drive (especially a 2nd
    drive). Again IMO, Veritas inherited this software and hasn't put much
    thought or effort into it. If you follow this newsgroup you would see that
    there are a whole lot of problems and incompatibilities and it is lacking
    in some of the fundamental areas. I use it with a Tape unit and it does
    the job for me but I would never consider buying this software if I were
    to start over.

    > > You filed to answer what kind of backup is on the .QIK file on the 2nd

    HD.
    > > Is it a complete C: & D: backup or not? If it is and you have an
    > > installable version of WINDOWS & BE then you should FORMAT the 1st HD

    (C:
    > > I assume) then load WINDOWS & BE then Restore from the file backup.
    > >
    > > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > > It is basically right except:
    > > > No.4: 1st HD is corrupted-not bootable to Win98, but not wiped out.
    > > > No 5: I didn't replace 1st HD.
    > > > No.6 I have a BE emergency diskettes which can boot the machine to

    > > recover
    > > > menu.
    > > >
    > > > Thanks
    > > >
    > > > fei
    > > >

    > > > Leon FB wrote in message

    your
    > > 2nd

    > > everything on

    message

    > > access to

    from
    > > the

    backup on

    > > Does

    you

    > > then

    > > folder

    have

    no
    > > longer

    out of

    > > message

    saved on
    > > my

    > > menu,

  13. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    Right now, my back-up solution is: Have one basic windows system backup on
    CD-R (only C:\ and Win98 directory) which can get me back to Win98 system.I
    only do this CD-R backup once as it is slow to write CD-R;

    Then periodically, I backup to files then, I suppose, if my system crashes,
    I can restore from my backup file after I use CD-R to get back to Windows
    first.(That is, restore twice to get back the complete system).

    Do you think this will work?

    -Fei

    "Leon FB" wrote in message
    > Your message is not quite clear. You say you have a file backup on your HD
    > but you are trying to run the emergency restore from diskette. Does this
    > mean your hard drive is trashed (lost all software)? If not, you should be
    > able to restore from the file backup on the HD. Select RESTORE then
    > Restore from FILE. Another window to the right appears with a folder
    > button. Press the folder button and find your file (it should have a .QIC
    > extension) then select Device View and go from there. If you no longer
    > have data on your HD and you do not have a tape backup your out of luck
    > because you don't have a backup on a removable media.
    >
    > "news.support.veritas.com" wrote in message
    > > My question is: how to restore the backup file which is saved on my hard
    > > drive?
    > >
    > > I use BE 4.21 and the start-up disk leads me to the restore menu, but

    > the
    > > only option is from media and no file-restore option.
    > >
    > > Please let me know how to restore from .qic file?
    > >
    > > thanks!
    > >

    > > fei

  14. Re: Restore from Files, Help!

    > What I got is a second HD so my first HD crashes, I still have access to the
    > backup file on the second CD. But BE cann't restore the system from the
    > backup file on the second HD!
    >
    > Fei

    I know this is a BackupExec forum, but if you have a second HD as described
    above, then Drive Image 4.0 (or Ghost 2001) is an ideal solution for
    COMPLETE sector-by-sector backup so that in event of HD failure, EVERYTHING
    can be easily restored in one easy step from the other HD (or cdr if you
    used that).

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

+ Reply to Thread