CD-Rom cannot read backups - Veritas

This is a discussion on CD-Rom cannot read backups - Veritas ; My CD-Rom cannot read the backups made by Backup Exec. I thought the backups could be read by any CD Rom device. Is this correct? If so does anyone know what the problem may be? Thank you, Richard...

  1. CD-Rom cannot read backups

    My CD-Rom cannot read the backups made by Backup Exec. I thought the backups
    could be read by any CD Rom device. Is this correct? If so does anyone know
    what the problem may be?
    Thank you,
    Richard

  2. Re: CD-Rom cannot read backups

    "Richard Stevens" wrote:

    >My CD-Rom cannot read the backups made by Backup Exec. I thought the backups
    >could be read by any CD Rom device. Is this correct? If so does anyone know
    >what the problem may be?

    ----
    The backups can only be read from the device they were created with.
    This is the way Backup Exec was designed.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  3. Re: CD-Rom cannot read backups

    Colin, thank you. Their directions make it sound otherwise though; when talking
    about moving files to another machine. It just says you have to reinstall
    the OS, then restore. So from what you're reporting I then presume you have
    to move the original device to the other machine, huh?
    Thank you for the help, Richard

    Colin Sewell wrote:
    >"Richard Stevens" wrote:
    >

    >>My CD-Rom cannot read the backups made by Backup Exec. I thought the backups
    >>could be read by any CD Rom device. Is this correct? If so does anyone

    know
    >>what the problem may be?

    >----
    >The backups can only be read from the device they were created with.
    >This is the way Backup Exec was designed.
    >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    >Vancouver, BC

  4. Re: CD-Rom cannot read backups

    "Richard Stevens" wrote:

    >Colin, thank you. Their directions make it sound otherwise though; when talking
    >about moving files to another machine. It just says you have to reinstall
    >the OS, then restore. So from what you're reporting I then presume you have
    >to move the original device to the other machine, huh?
    >Thank you for the help, Richard

    -------
    Can you point me to where these instructions are? I don't recall
    seeing anything in Veritas' documentation about moving files to
    another machine. But then, I haven't actually read all the
    documentation.

    I had assumed you were talking about emergency recovery where you have
    to do the ER from the same device the backup was created with. Even
    just restoring individual files on the same machine, if you had both a
    CD-RW and a CD-ROM, Backup Exec would not recognize the CD-ROM as a
    valid device to back up to or restore files from.

    But you also mention re-installing an OS! Why would you need to do
    that just to move files from one machine to another? Unless both
    machines have identical hardware, restoring an entire OS from one
    machine to another would probably not work too well.

    If you just want to treat the CD-RW as a removable drive, it's
    probably best to get some packet writing software like DirectCD and
    copy files to the media. On the machine with only a CD-ROM, you just
    need UDF packet reading software to be able to read the data.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  5. Re: CD-Rom cannot read backups

    Colin, thanks again. I'm using BE Desktop, not Pro, and cannot make ER disks.
    I would have to format, reinstall OS, then BE Desktop, then restore most
    recent full backup (or whatever I want to restore).
    Page 58 of the Manual states "This section explains how to quickly and easily
    restore all your files in the event of a hard disk failure. This procedure
    can also be used to transfer all your files to a new computer. Before you
    can restore your files after a hard disk failure, you must first prepare
    your hard disk and reinstall Windows....."
    Colin Sewell wrote:
    >"Richard Stevens" wrote:
    >

    >>Colin, thank you. Their directions make it sound otherwise though; when

    talking
    >>about moving files to another machine. It just says you have to reinstall
    >>the OS, then restore. So from what you're reporting I then presume you

    have
    >>to move the original device to the other machine, huh?
    >>Thank you for the help, Richard

    >-------
    >Can you point me to where these instructions are? I don't recall
    >seeing anything in Veritas' documentation about moving files to
    >another machine. But then, I haven't actually read all the
    >documentation.
    >
    >I had assumed you were talking about emergency recovery where you have
    >to do the ER from the same device the backup was created with. Even
    >just restoring individual files on the same machine, if you had both a
    >CD-RW and a CD-ROM, Backup Exec would not recognize the CD-ROM as a
    >valid device to back up to or restore files from.
    >
    >But you also mention re-installing an OS! Why would you need to do
    >that just to move files from one machine to another? Unless both
    >machines have identical hardware, restoring an entire OS from one
    >machine to another would probably not work too well.
    >
    >If you just want to treat the CD-RW as a removable drive, it's
    >probably best to get some packet writing software like DirectCD and
    >copy files to the media. On the machine with only a CD-ROM, you just
    >need UDF packet reading software to be able to read the data.
    >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    >Vancouver, BC

  6. Re: CD-Rom cannot read backups

    "Richard Stevens" wrote:

    >Colin, thanks again. I'm using BE Desktop, not Pro, and cannot make ER disks.
    > I would have to format, reinstall OS, then BE Desktop, then restore most
    >recent full backup (or whatever I want to restore).
    >Page 58 of the Manual states "This section explains how to quickly and easily
    >restore all your files in the event of a hard disk failure. This procedure
    >can also be used to transfer all your files to a new computer. Before you
    >can restore your files after a hard disk failure, you must first prepare
    >your hard disk and reinstall Windows....."

    ----------
    OK, I understand now. The wording does seem to imply the new machine
    need not be exactly the same, but it is true that Backup Exec only
    recognizes writable devices as valid backup/restore devices, so you
    would need a supported CD-RW on the new machine to be able to restore.
    Whether it has to be the same model, I don't know, but you do have to
    be able to back up to it to restore from it.

    Since you're not doing an ER, backing up to a file on a CD-RW with
    packet writing software installed would probably work, but you
    wouldn't be able to span media.
    Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    Vancouver, BC

  7. Re: CD-Rom cannot read backups

    Colin, again thank you for your response. I really appreciate the help.
    Spounds like appropriate response for what I want then (restore with CD)
    is S.O.L. huh? I have been using Direct CD for backing up various big and/or
    priceless files, but the big files are photos which I for sure want to keep.
    Problem is, getting so big, I need to span and Direct CD won't do that.
    So I got the BE Desktop.
    Thanks, again, Richard

    Colin Sewell wrote:
    >"Richard Stevens" wrote:
    >

    >>Colin, thanks again. I'm using BE Desktop, not Pro, and cannot make ER

    disks.
    >> I would have to format, reinstall OS, then BE Desktop, then restore most
    >>recent full backup (or whatever I want to restore).
    >>Page 58 of the Manual states "This section explains how to quickly and

    easily
    >>restore all your files in the event of a hard disk failure. This procedure
    >>can also be used to transfer all your files to a new computer. Before

    you
    >>can restore your files after a hard disk failure, you must first prepare
    >>your hard disk and reinstall Windows....."

    >----------
    >OK, I understand now. The wording does seem to imply the new machine
    >need not be exactly the same, but it is true that Backup Exec only
    >recognizes writable devices as valid backup/restore devices, so you
    >would need a supported CD-RW on the new machine to be able to restore.
    >Whether it has to be the same model, I don't know, but you do have to
    >be able to back up to it to restore from it.
    >
    >Since you're not doing an ER, backing up to a file on a CD-RW with
    >packet writing software installed would probably work, but you
    >wouldn't be able to span media.
    >Colin Sewell mailto:csewell@telus.net
    >Vancouver, BC

+ Reply to Thread