Okay I fixed it, For those interested parties, I removed BE 4.5 and then
cleaned up BE installs using Veritas tech document 182783, "How to perform
and effective uninstall and reinstall of Backup Exec 4.2 with Windows 9x"
I followed just the uninstall portion.

I then reinstalled BE 3.0a (the only full install version I had. Tested it,
worked fine. Installed the 4.2 upgrade, tested it , worked fine. Then I
installed the 4.5 pro upgrade and now it works great.
Now If I can only found out how to set the default compression to
hardware.....