Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Not Recognized - Veritas

This is a discussion on Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Not Recognized - Veritas ; I have a new Dimension 8100 PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive BE 4.5 will not recognize the drive. What do I do now?...

  1. Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Not Recognized

    I have a new Dimension 8100 PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive BE 4.5
    will not recognize the drive. What do I do now?

  2. Re: Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Not Recognized

    Check the Veritas site for any updates that include recognition for this
    drive.

    "Norbrt Weber" wrote in message

    > I have a new Dimension 8100 PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive BE

    4.5
    > will not recognize the drive. What do I do now?

  3. Re: Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Not Recognized

    Is there someplace on the website where they put details about
    support for new devices?

    "Steve Renouf" wrote:
    >Check the Veritas site for any updates that include recognition for this
    >drive.
    >

    >"Norbrt Weber" wrote in message
    >>
    >> I have a new Dimension 8100 PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive BE

    >4.5
    >> will not recognize the drive. What do I do now?

  4. Re: Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Not Recognized

    "Norbrt Weber" wrote:

    >I have a new Dimension 8100 PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive BE

    4.5
    >will not recognize the drive. What do I do now?

    I have a Samsung CDR/RW SW-212B in a Powerspec 8005 (sold by MEI) that is
    recognized by Backup Exec Desktop v4.5 but nothing is recorded as the software
    returns a message "Media is read-only" and stops. What a screwy message
    to get with a perfectly good blank 12x CD-R disc in the drive! So far I
    have found no solution except to replace the drive with one that is on the
    Veritas compatibility list, which I haven't done yet.

    My Samsung works OK with Easy CD Creator except that the top recording speed,
    due to buffer underrun on higher speeds, is only 2x on the 12x rated drive.
    Using the Easy CD Creator to copy a data disc directly from another CD drive
    can be done OK at 8x speed. The Samsung should run at full 12x on the Powerspec
    1.3 gig processor machine having a high speed hard drive, but it doesn't.

    Sorry that I can't help with your Samsung model, but I have a suspicion that
    we may never solve either of our problems. My machine was very cheap ($999.00)
    with 128 megs of 800 Rambus memory, 30 gig hard disc, modem, and one each
    CD and CD-R drives. How much could the Samsung have cost? This leads me
    to not expect much out of the Samsung CDR/RW drive that I have.

    Good luck on your quest for a solution. I sure need it on mine.

    Best regards, - - - Brad

  5. Re: Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B Not Recognized

    seeing how the 308b is a new drive, Veritas may release an update for
    support, you should try emailing the DSL address on the Device support page,
    maybe they can help you.

    Chris

    "Brad Downs" wrote in message

    > "Norbrt Weber" wrote:
    > >
    > >I have a new Dimension 8100 PC with a Samsung CDRW/DVD SM-308B drive BE

    > 4.5
    > >will not recognize the drive. What do I do now?

    > I have a Samsung CDR/RW SW-212B in a Powerspec 8005 (sold by MEI) that is
    > recognized by Backup Exec Desktop v4.5 but nothing is recorded as the

    software
    > returns a message "Media is read-only" and stops. What a screwy message
    > to get with a perfectly good blank 12x CD-R disc in the drive! So far I
    > have found no solution except to replace the drive with one that is on the
    > Veritas compatibility list, which I haven't done yet.
    >
    > My Samsung works OK with Easy CD Creator except that the top recording

    speed,
    > due to buffer underrun on higher speeds, is only 2x on the 12x rated

    drive.
    > Using the Easy CD Creator to copy a data disc directly from another CD

    drive
    > can be done OK at 8x speed. The Samsung should run at full 12x on the

    Powerspec
    > 1.3 gig processor machine having a high speed hard drive, but it doesn't.
    >
    > Sorry that I can't help with your Samsung model, but I have a suspicion

    that
    > we may never solve either of our problems. My machine was very cheap

    ($999.00)
    > with 128 megs of 800 Rambus memory, 30 gig hard disc, modem, and one each
    > CD and CD-R drives. How much could the Samsung have cost? This leads me
    > to not expect much out of the Samsung CDR/RW drive that I have.
    >
    > Good luck on your quest for a solution. I sure need it on mine.
    >
    > Best regards, - - - Brad

+ Reply to Thread