Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error - Veritas

This is a discussion on Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error - Veritas ; I am attempting backups using CDRW Media that typically span multiple CDRW. I use the best media I can get (I've tried multiple makes too). If there is any media error, even hours in on the last disk at 99% ...

  1. Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    I am attempting backups using CDRW Media that typically span multiple CDRW.
    I use the best media I can get (I've tried multiple makes too). If there
    is any media error, even hours in on the last disk at 99% finished, BExec
    abandons the entire set and I have the pleasure of erasing the disks and
    gambling another attempt. This can go on for days with no backup. Any help
    would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a newer version than the one I paid
    for handles this more gracefully (say, allowing me to replace just the "bad"
    disk and continue the process), and I might actually get some backups accomplished?
    It is vain for me to continue this insanity. Thanks.

    Using:

    Backup Exec Version 4.2 (Retail)
    Build D99 240B34A

    HP CD-Writer+ 8200
    Xcd Dll Version 2.1.0177
    1.0f firmware
    * relatively few hours on the drive, purchased new. Clean enviro
    * all other apps shut down, no virus background apps.
    * windows 98 200 Mhz mmx pentium

  2. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    I tested the "abort" issue on the same system previously mentioned with the
    latest downloaded trial version 4.5 of Backup Exec Pro - SAME RESULT. Any
    problem with any disk - even the last disk after an hour of backup, and Backup
    Exec PRO 4.5 abandons the backup set and returns to the main screen. Why
    can't it simply ask for a different disk and continue that portion of the
    set? Veritas - please improve this basic attribute, or list other hardware
    other than HP 8200 drives where it somehow isn't a problem. Otherwise, it
    makes CDRW type backups an exercise in insanity.

    -Matt Weaver

    "Matt Weaver" wrote:

    >I am attempting backups using CDRW Media that typically span multiple CDRW.
    > I use the best media I can get (I've tried multiple makes too). If there
    >is any media error, even hours in on the last disk at 99% finished, BExec
    >abandons the entire set and I have the pleasure of erasing the disks and
    >gambling another attempt. This can go on for days with no backup. Any

    help
    >would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a newer version than the one I paid
    >for handles this more gracefully (say, allowing me to replace just the "bad"
    >disk and continue the process), and I might actually get some backups accomplished?
    > It is vain for me to continue this insanity. Thanks.
    >
    >Using:
    >
    >Backup Exec Version 4.2 (Retail)
    >Build D99 240B34A
    >
    >HP CD-Writer+ 8200
    >Xcd Dll Version 2.1.0177
    >1.0f firmware
    >* relatively few hours on the drive, purchased new. Clean enviro
    >* all other apps shut down, no virus background apps.
    >* windows 98 200 Mhz mmx pentium

  3. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    I contacted Veritas support - indeed Backup Exec 4.2 and the latest Backup
    Exec PRO 4.5 abandon the entire backup set if anything goes wrong (read,
    write, seek) with any of the disks, even the last one in the set. They say
    they hope to have it for the next version, but not 4.2, or 4.3, or 4.4, or
    4.5.

    Bottom line, the bigger the backup, the less likely you'll ever get it done
    and the more likely you'll waste lots of time. So you're not likely to be
    able to even do larger backups onto a major "desktop" media such as CDRW
    / CDR with Backup Exec PRO. Maybe we should all have tape drives and CDRW
    drives combined.

    I should note these efforts were all done with name-brand media 4X or higher,
    at 4x speed or lower, on a nearly brand-new HP 8200 with the latest firmware
    for the drive. Perhaps no media works, or perhaps someone venture to share
    what of all the brands if any actually does. Perhaps I got a lemon drive,
    or lemon disks, but I don't think HPs QC is likely to be that bad.

    Is there any other brand of backup software that handles this more gracefully?
    I'd like to accomplish my backups, and not have to divide them into 20-something
    individual sub-650MB sets, or go out and buy a tape drive for full sets that
    I'll rarely use.

    "Matt Weaver" wrote:

    >I am attempting backups using CDRW Media that typically span multiple CDRW.
    > I use the best media I can get (I've tried multiple makes too). If there
    >is any media error, even hours in on the last disk at 99% finished, BExec
    >abandons the entire set and I have the pleasure of erasing the disks and
    >gambling another attempt. This can go on for days with no backup. Any

    help
    >would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a newer version than the one I paid
    >for handles this more gracefully (say, allowing me to replace just the "bad"
    >disk and continue the process), and I might actually get some backups accomplished?
    > It is vain for me to continue this insanity. Thanks.
    >
    >Using:
    >
    >Backup Exec Version 4.2 (Retail)
    >Build D99 240B34A
    >
    >HP CD-Writer+ 8200
    >Xcd Dll Version 2.1.0177
    >1.0f firmware
    >* relatively few hours on the drive, purchased new. Clean enviro
    >* all other apps shut down, no virus background apps.
    >* windows 98 200 Mhz mmx pentium

  4. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    All versions of Freakin Seagate/Veritas have done this forever. When I had
    a 2x RW drive three years ago, it was even funner.
    I'm really pissed that they still haven't fixed the problem. I used to spend
    and entire afternoon doing backups just to get a decent set one every quarter.
    Now I just do my critical backups by hand with Nero. There is NO software
    out there that backs up to CD-RW in a logical manner. If anyone ever finds
    one, please let me know.

    "Matt Weaver" wrote:

    >I am attempting backups using CDRW Media that typically span multiple CDRW.
    > I use the best media I can get (I've tried multiple makes too). If there
    >is any media error, even hours in on the last disk at 99% finished, BExec
    >abandons the entire set and I have the pleasure of erasing the disks and
    >gambling another attempt. This can go on for days with no backup. Any

    help
    >would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps a newer version than the one I paid
    >for handles this more gracefully (say, allowing me to replace just the "bad"
    >disk and continue the process), and I might actually get some backups accomplished?
    > It is vain for me to continue this insanity. Thanks.
    >
    >Using:
    >
    >Backup Exec Version 4.2 (Retail)
    >Build D99 240B34A
    >
    >HP CD-Writer+ 8200
    >Xcd Dll Version 2.1.0177
    >1.0f firmware
    >* relatively few hours on the drive, purchased new. Clean enviro
    >* all other apps shut down, no virus background apps.
    >* windows 98 200 Mhz mmx pentium

  5. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    Well, I'm glad it's not just me. But it doesn't do a thing for the
    frustration factor. This seems to have started shortly after switching to
    Windows ME on a new 1 GHz Pentium III. I can't recall ever having this
    problem on our Pentium Pro's with Win95/98/98SE.
    ___

    "Matt Weaver" wrote in message

    > I contacted Veritas support - indeed Backup Exec 4.2 and the latest Backup
    > Exec PRO 4.5 abandon the entire backup set if anything goes wrong (read,
    > write, seek) with any of the disks, even the last one in the set. They

    say
    > they hope to have it for the next version, but not 4.2, or 4.3, or 4.4, or
    > 4.5.
    >
    > Bottom line, the bigger the backup, the less likely you'll ever get it

    done
    > and the more likely you'll waste lots of time. So you're not likely to be
    > able to even do larger backups onto a major "desktop" media such as CDRW
    > / CDR with Backup Exec PRO. Maybe we should all have tape drives and CDRW
    > drives combined.
    >
    > I should note these efforts were all done with name-brand media 4X or

    higher,
    > at 4x speed or lower, on a nearly brand-new HP 8200 with the latest

    firmware
    > for the drive. Perhaps no media works, or perhaps someone venture to

    share
    > what of all the brands if any actually does. Perhaps I got a lemon drive,
    > or lemon disks, but I don't think HPs QC is likely to be that bad.
    >
    > Is there any other brand of backup software that handles this more

    gracefully?
    > I'd like to accomplish my backups, and not have to divide them into

    20-something
    > individual sub-650MB sets, or go out and buy a tape drive for full sets

    that
    > I'll rarely use.

  6. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    > There is NO software
    > out there that backs up to CD-RW in a logical manner.
    > If anyone ever finds one, please let me know.

    Drive Image 4.0 or Ghost 2001

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  7. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    I'm still trying to get an image on CDRW with Drive Image 4.0 - it keeps
    aborting at the end of the first CD with error# 1805, which (according to
    PQ's KB) is the error that usually occurs when trying to use an older CDRW
    Drive. As mine is a supposedly supported NEW (Plextor 12/10/32A) Drive, I
    don't know what it's problem is????

    "John F" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1514062e87a24da99896a7@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > There is NO software
    > > out there that backs up to CD-RW in a logical manner.
    > > If anyone ever finds one, please let me know.
    > >

    > Drive Image 4.0 or Ghost 2001
    >
    > John
    > jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  8. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    > I'm still trying to get an image on CDRW with Drive Image 4.0 - it keeps
    > aborting at the end of the first CD with error# 1805, which (according to
    > PQ's KB) is the error that usually occurs when trying to use an older CDRW
    > Drive. As mine is a supposedly supported NEW (Plextor 12/10/32A) Drive, I
    > don't know what it's problem is????

    Have you tried using cdr instead of cdrw? There have been lots of issues
    dealing with writing to cdrw's that work fine writing to cdr. The cost of
    cdr is so cheap, it's worth it (in my opinion) to have a permanent backup.

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  9. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    I'm about to give it a go, but it's still a case of "doesn't do as
    advertised". Pity really because I've been pretty impressed with
    PartitionMagic and thought DriveImage would be to the same standard. How
    wrong can you be.......??

    "John F" wrote in message
    news:MPG.15142d82a8413f959896a9@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > I'm still trying to get an image on CDRW with Drive Image 4.0 - it keeps
    > > aborting at the end of the first CD with error# 1805, which (according

    > > PQ's KB) is the error that usually occurs when trying to use an older

    CDRW
    > > Drive. As mine is a supposedly supported NEW (Plextor 12/10/32A) Drive,

    > > don't know what it's problem is????

    > Have you tried using cdr instead of cdrw? There have been lots of issues
    > dealing with writing to cdrw's that work fine writing to cdr. The cost of
    > cdr is so cheap, it's worth it (in my opinion) to have a permanent backup.
    >
    > John
    > jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  10. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    > I'm about to give it a go, but it's still a case of "doesn't do as
    > advertised". Pity really because I've been pretty impressed with
    > PartitionMagic and thought DriveImage would be to the same standard. How
    > wrong can you be.......??

    Does "about to give it a go" mean you're going to try cdr media? I didn't
    quite understand your comment.

    I hope this question doesn't sound elementary but you do have your Plextor
    drive on secondary IDE channel, separate from your hard drive? You
    definately wouldn't want any cd burner on same channel as disk drive.

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  11. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    "John F" wrote in message
    news:MPG.151486a9aba97abb9896ab@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > I'm about to give it a go, but it's still a case of "doesn't do as
    > > advertised". Pity really because I've been pretty impressed with
    > > PartitionMagic and thought DriveImage would be to the same standard. How
    > > wrong can you be.......??

    > Does "about to give it a go" mean you're going to try cdr media? I didn't
    > quite understand your comment.

    Yes, that is what I meant sorry.

    However, that's kind of been pre-empted because CDRW with NO COMPRESSION
    seems to now be working fine. (At least, that is to say, I now have an
    image - unfortunately, I don't have a large enough free partition to test a
    restore).

    The only thing is it's a bit slow as it insists on burning at 4x (rather
    than the drives max 10x) and with no compression, it takes six disks ugh!

    I do hope they get it fixed soon - but even as it is, it's still a vast
    improvement over the hassles involved with trying to use BE Desktop
    4.5..........

    > I hope this question doesn't sound elementary but you do have your Plextor
    > drive on secondary IDE channel, separate from your hard drive? You
    > definately wouldn't want any cd burner on same channel as disk drive.

    Well, it is kind of elementary, but as you have no way of knowing my level
    of knowledge, I won't take offence ;-)

    Unlike some people (no names) who send you private emails telling you to
    F**K O*F

    Eh. soyboy.........

    > John
    > jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  12. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    > However, that's kind of been pre-empted because CDRW with NO COMPRESSION
    > seems to now be working fine. (At least, that is to say, I now have an
    > image - unfortunately, I don't have a large enough free partition to test a
    > restore).
    >
    > The only thing is it's a bit slow as it insists on burning at 4x (rather
    > than the drives max 10x) and with no compression, it takes six disks ugh!
    >
    > I do hope they get it fixed soon - but even as it is, it's still a vast
    > improvement over the hassles involved with trying to use BE Desktop
    > 4.5..........

    One other thing which could affect you: Check for bios or driver updates
    for your motherboard/chipset.

    I was getting slow throughput writing to a NTFS partition, and accidently
    ran across a post from someone mentioning special drivers for my chipset
    (VIA) required for DOS for UDMA support for my specific chipset.

    Of course Windows 2000 (or 98) may already have the correct ones, but when
    booting from a DOS diskette, no one else is going to know what your chipset
    it.

    Bottom line was that I included the driver in my config.sys on my diskette,
    and got a 25% throughput improvement.

    Since you have an IDE cd-burner, it's worth investigating.

    Also, what happens when you inrease the compression in DI 4.0?
    And of course I still think cdr is better choice and worth trying.

    John
    jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  13. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    How can you tell what speed BE is writing at?? I have BE 4.21 and I can't
    tell.
    "Steve Renouf" wrote in message

    > "John F" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.151486a9aba97abb9896ab@news.support.verit as.com...
    > > > I'm about to give it a go, but it's still a case of "doesn't do as
    > > > advertised". Pity really because I've been pretty impressed with
    > > > PartitionMagic and thought DriveImage would be to the same standard.

    How
    > > > wrong can you be.......??

    > > Does "about to give it a go" mean you're going to try cdr media? I

    didn't
    > > quite understand your comment.

    > Yes, that is what I meant sorry.
    >
    > However, that's kind of been pre-empted because CDRW with NO COMPRESSION
    > seems to now be working fine. (At least, that is to say, I now have an
    > image - unfortunately, I don't have a large enough free partition to test

    > restore).
    >
    > The only thing is it's a bit slow as it insists on burning at 4x (rather
    > than the drives max 10x) and with no compression, it takes six disks ugh!
    >
    > I do hope they get it fixed soon - but even as it is, it's still a vast
    > improvement over the hassles involved with trying to use BE Desktop
    > 4.5..........
    >

    > > I hope this question doesn't sound elementary but you do have your

    Plextor
    > > drive on secondary IDE channel, separate from your hard drive? You
    > > definately wouldn't want any cd burner on same channel as disk drive.

    > Well, it is kind of elementary, but as you have no way of knowing my level
    > of knowledge, I won't take offence ;-)
    >
    > Unlike some people (no names) who send you private emails telling you to
    > F**K O*F
    >
    > Eh. soyboy.........
    >

    > > John
    > > jrfree at bigfoot dot com

  14. Re: Backup Exec Abort during backup due to CDRW media error

    Me neither. Having said that, it does seem to be a fair bit faster than
    DI4, so I suspect it's operating at the speed of the CD disk/Drive
    combination. The biggest problem with BE is having to restore from within
    windows - you then get the problems of file protection......... and can't do
    a proper restore.

    "Frank" wrote in message news:3ad25312$1@hronntp01....
    > How can you tell what speed BE is writing at?? I have BE 4.21 and I can't
    > tell.
    > "Steve Renouf" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "John F" wrote in message
    > > news:MPG.151486a9aba97abb9896ab@news.support.verit as.com...

    > How
    > > >
    > > > Does "about to give it a go" mean you're going to try cdr media? I

    > didn't
    > > > quite understand your comment.

    > > Yes, that is what I meant sorry.
    > >
    > > However, that's kind of been pre-empted because CDRW with NO COMPRESSION
    > > seems to now be working fine. (At least, that is to say, I now have an
    > > image - unfortunately, I don't have a large enough free partition to

    test
    > > restore).
    > >
    > > The only thing is it's a bit slow as it insists on burning at 4x (rather
    > > than the drives max 10x) and with no compression, it takes six disks

    ugh!

    > > I do hope they get it fixed soon - but even as it is, it's still a vast
    > > improvement over the hassles involved with trying to use BE Desktop
    > > 4.5..........
    > >

    > > > I hope this question doesn't sound elementary but you do have your

    > Plextor
    > > > drive on secondary IDE channel, separate from your hard drive? You
    > > > definately wouldn't want any cd burner on same channel as disk drive.

    > > Well, it is kind of elementary, but as you have no way of knowing my

    level
    > > of knowledge, I won't take offence ;-)
    > >
    > > Unlike some people (no names) who send you private emails telling you to
    > > F**K O*F
    > >
    > > Eh. soyboy.........
    > >

    > > > John
    > > > jrfree at bigfoot dot com